20/20 Cricket at the Olympics

sirvo

20/20 Cricket at the Olympics

The ICC have approached the IOC seeking inclusion of 20/20 Cricket in the 2012 Olympics.

Do you think it can really work in that sort of carnival?

With only 6 or so genuine medal chances competing, I can't see the IOC giving any serious consideration to the sport.

Re: 20/20 Cricket at the Olympics

Man that would be cool. What do you mean 'genuine' chances?? In most sports theres only few 'genuine' chances :confused:. Take swimming as an example, the Americans, Chinese, Germans, Brits, Russians, Australians and a few others are the main chances to take home medals. Doesn't stop Papua New Guinea or Zimbabwe entering athletes. I could list plenty of countries who would want to participate for a spot in the games. Infact I will.

Australia
South Africa
New Zealand
India
Sri Lanka
Pakistan
England
West Indies

-----------------------
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe
Scotland
Kenya
Ireland
Netherlands
Canada
Bermuda
USA
Namibia
UAE

-----------------------
Uganda
Cayman Islands
Afganistan
Fiji
Denmark
Bahrain
Papua New Guinea
Kuwait
Malaysia
Nepal
Hong Kong
Botswana
Argentina
Maldives
Cook Islands
Italy
Zambia
Bahamas
Saudi Arabia
Japan
Singapore
Tonga
Vanuatu

All those countries could and would enter teams, the ones in bold would really be the only ones with 'genuine chances', the italics are countries that would be competetive. But there are other countries who play cricket, even after the ones I've mentioned. Brazil, Greece, France, Germany and Switzerland also have teams albeit of a poor standard.

There would only be a select number of places available for the Olympics tournament should it be included into the schedule for the 2012 edition. I would imagaine that there would be a pre-qualifying process to earn a spot in the tournament with say maybe eight spots on offer. Most other team sports also have pre-qualifying events so teams have to earn their posts in Olympic tournaments.

Another problem is the West Indies. They are made up of many different countries within the Caribbean so it would be impossible for them to enter into the Olympics tournament under that name. Once the West Indies is split into the the countries that make up the side, those teams effectively become domestic line-ups, equal to the sides that play in the Australian and County competitions and also other domestic competitions around the world.

It is worth considering though. Twenty20 cricket means that it may be possible for the sport to become a part of the Olympics, mainly because Twenty20 is short and can be fitted into a two-week period. It is also quite attractive to spectators as we all know.

I remember that one-day cricket was a part of the Commonwealth Games which were held in Kuala Lumpur in 1998. Not too sure on how successful it was though.

SouthSwans;176973 said:
I could list plenty of countries who would want to participate for a spot in the games. Infact I will.

England
West Indies
Scotland

:confused:

There are no such countries participating in the Olympics. I think you meant countries such as Great Britain, Jamaica, Barbados, etc. But then again, there is no such thing as a "Great Britain" cricket association (just as there is no "Great Britain" Football Association, same reason why they don't participate in soccer in the Olympics). About the individual Carribean countries, sure they have their own individual cricket bodies and this may become a good chance for them to have medal aspirations.

if it happened it would be EXACTLY the same as the Commonwealth Games were in 1998.

aussieman;177517 said:
if it happened it would be EXACTLY the same as the Commonwealth Games were in 1998.

Where are the 2012 Olympics to be held?

I think the next commonwealth games are in India, if so this would be the spot for Cricket.

held in london obviously.

but it's got nothing to do with where it is being held...except maybe better grounds.

but cricket in 98 in the Comm Games was an absolute shambles...more one-sided games CWC 2007

aussieman;177696 said:
held in london obviously.

but it's got nothing to do with where it is being held...except maybe better grounds.

but cricket in 98 in the Comm Games was an absolute shambles...more one-sided games CWC 2007

Hence why they would need a pre-qualifying tournament in order to determine the teams that would take part. I would say eight, maybe 10 teams tops in order to make as elite as they can.

yeah, but only a few countries would be able to compete: the test playing nations without the West Indies. Great Britain and Northern Ireland would work well.

Add Zimbabwe, Kenya, Ireland.

it's not going to work with the countries involved.

aussieman;177916 said:
yeah, but only a few countries would be able to compete: the test playing nations without the West Indies. Great Britain and Northern Ireland would work well.

Add Zimbabwe, Kenya, Ireland.

it's not going to work with the countries involved.

It could work.

As you said, there would be a Great Britain team, so that includes England, Wales and others. The side would effectively be an English one anyway, so they'd still be pretty crap. :D

Then you have the usual suspects such as Australia, South Africa, Pakistan, India, New Zealand and Sri Lanka.

Then add in Bangladesh, Kenya and Ireland and you have ten sides.

I reckon it would be a pretty good tournament, it just needs the right promotion and the right people to be able to push for this for the 2012 Olympics.

If the upcoming Twenty20 World Cup is a success, the IOC may take a look at including it provided it can be feasible as an Olympic tournament.

And who'd benefit the most if cricket was in the Olympics?
The country that hosts it every 3 or 4 cycles: YANKS!
Thing about it: everytime the Yanks'd host the games they'd
have to lay down a slew of first-class pitches! And since the
host country automatically qualifies the Yank team would be
playing! ICC better not screw this one up.

20/20 cricket is absolute ********e to start with. Putting it into the Olympics would be a lack of respect for athletes who work hard for four years to excel at 'real' sports. Better playing this crap on the beach.|@

RUNOUT;180213 said:
20/20 cricket is absolute ********e to start with. Putting it into the Olympics would be a lack of respect for athletes who work hard for four years to excel at 'real' sports. Better playing this crap on the beach.|@

Yeah, be a real insult to sync swimming, rhythmic gymnasitcs, and curling.

Ljp86;177936 said:
If the upcoming Twenty20 World Cup is a success, the IOC may take a look at including it provided it can be feasible as an Olympic tournament.

Twenty20 World Cup was a success.

FIFA forced soccer to progress in USA by awarding them FIFA World Cup in 1994, with the promise that USA will form a league called MLS, and support it from the ground up. US soccer did all that, and soccer in USA made incredible progress from 1990 to 2007.

Can ICC do something similar for progress of cricket in USA, by maybe holding some Twenty20 tournaments in USA, or work with IOC to bring Twenty20 cricket in Olympics, if Olympics are held in USA? Sure, why not?

Chandu;181252 said:
Can ICC do something similar for progress of cricket in USA, by maybe holding some Twenty20 tournaments in USA, or work with IOC to bring Twenty20 cricket in Olympics, if Olympics are held in USA? Sure, why not?

Very remote chance at this point. With the state of the USACA at the present time, the ICC will stay right away until they can sort themselves out. Whether that is the right thing to do is a totally different matter. I wouldn't mind the ICC actually taking an active role and help the USACA out with its problems.

Perhaps if the USACA was in a better state, then a few Twenty20 or maybe even ODI games would be possible. As for the Olympics, Atlanta had them in 1996, might not be long before the USA holds them again.

RUNOUT;180213 said:

Thanks for your lucid and insightful comments, Scumpy....By the way, did you get
that telegram from your mama reminding you to feed the horse before
you ride it into town to get kerosene for the lamps in your room and
that spare key for your girlfriends chastity belt?

Ljp86;181305 said:
Very remote chance at this point. With the state of the USACA at the present time, the ICC will stay right away until they can sort themselves out. Whether that is the right thing to do is a totally different matter. I wouldn't mind the ICC actually taking an active role and help the USACA out with its problems.

Perhaps if the USACA was in a better state, then a few Twenty20 or maybe even ODI games would be possible. As for the Olympics, Atlanta had them in 1996, might not be long before the USA holds them again.
Chicago 2016!

Curious to see if this ever happens, if there would be age restrictions/ and how amateur status would be applied. Would they go with U-19, etc. It's not an entirely bad idea, but it needs to be done correctly.

Saw this today:
Cricket takes a step toward possible Olympic return

2 hours ago

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Cricket took a first step toward what it hopes will be a return to the Olympics.

The International Olympic Committee granted the International Cricket Council initial recognition Monday. After two years, the ICC can seek full recognition and apply to be part of the Olympics, starting in 2020.

"This is great news for cricket," ICC president Ray Mali said Tuesday. "The Olympic movement is instantly recognizable around the world and for cricket to be a part of that again has to be a good thing."

Cricket is played mostly in Commonwealth countries and has been part of one Olympics - the 1900 Paris Games. Britain won the gold medal, beating a French team made up of players from the British Embassy in Paris.

Mali and other ICC directors met with IOC president Jacques Rogge in October in Lausanne, Switzerland.

"We want to play an active role in the Olympic movement and we will be looking at ways in which we can work with the IOC for the benefit of cricket, sport and society in general," Mali said. "Maybe one day it will be right for cricket to return to the Olympic program."
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jjccrmYB1kdqIdmX-6_EFmhBryBQ

Back