BigCricket Player of the Month (May 2010)

BigCricket Player of the month (May 2010)

• Mike Hussey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mehela Jayawardena

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Charl Langeveldt

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Dirk Nannes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kevin Pietersen

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ljp86

Staff member
BigCricket Player of the Month (May 2010)

It's back again, the BigCricket Player of the Month award will be handed out to the player you think has been the best performer over the past month.

This month's best players are based on the recent Twenty20 World Cup held in the Carribbean. The five candidates are,

Mike Hussey

Stats: 188 runs @ 94, HS of 60*

Mike Hussey was perhaps a lucky selection for Australia, having not played many T20I's for Australia in recent times before this tournament. However, he proved he was a vital cog of the Australian unit, bludgeoning the ball late in the innings to increase the scoring rate or rebuilding the innings after a poor start from the top order. Hussey scored 188 runs for the tournament and whilst that might not be much, many will remember his innings against Pakistan in the semi-final. Australia looked gone when he came in at number seven but Hussey then smashed 60 off 24 balls, including 22 off his own bat in the final over to push Australia into the final.

Mahela Jayawardena

Stats: 302 runs @ 60.40, HS of 100

Mehela may not have been captain but he still packs a punch at the top of the order. The start of the tournament was great for Jaywardena who found himself making bucketloads of runs in the group stage. He even helped himself to the only century of the tournament in the Duckworth/Lewis win against Zimbabwe. From there, the runs slowed up a little for Jaywardena but he was still the highest scorer of the tournament, and by a fair way too, making 302 runs, 56 more than the nest highest scorer who was Kevin Pietersen. Hopefully Dilshan can find his way into the line-up soon as Dilshan opening the batting with Jayawardena would be great to watch.

Charl Langeveldt

Stats: 11 wkts @ 9.45, BB of 4/19

After spending a lot of time on the fringes of the South African side, Charl Langeveldt was without a doubt South Africa's best bowler of the tournament, probably their best player too. He claimed 11 wickets at an average of less than 10 runs per wicket at a handy economy rate of only 6.50. Despite only playing four games, Langeveldt was the second highest wicket-taker for the tournament, outshining all of his teammates in what was a disappointing tournament for South Africa.

Dirk Nannes

Stats: 14 wkts @ 13.07, BB of 4/18

Dirk Nannes was a relative unknown outside Australia, having not played much except for a handful of games for Australia and then a stint in the Indian Premier League. That was the end of that though as Nannes burst onto the world stage, taking 10 wickets in his first three games to spend the entire tournament as the head of the chief wicket-taker's list. He eventually finished there, claiming 14 victims, three more than second-placed Charl Langeveldt. It was Nannes' best ever performance in Australian colours and gives himself a big chance of playing ODI cricket for the Australian side.

Kevin Pietersen

Stats: 248 runs @ 62, HS of 73*

KP was having a torrid run of form before the World Twenty20, he was struggling in both test and ODI cricket, scratching around a lot for only a few runs. But, things changed in the Carribean, Kev went from zero to hero, scoring the second most runs of the tournament (248) and then bring his team home to victory against Australia in the final with 73*. It's been a welcome return to form for KP who even had a bit of time in the tournament to go home and watch his wife give birth to their first child before helping England win their first ever ICC trophy and also picking up Player of the Series honours for the tournament.

So, there we have it, five worthy candidates who all contributed in different ways. Please get your votes in as to who you think was the best player for the month of May. Voting close in a couple of weeks so get your votes in! @|

Re: BigCricket Player of the Month (May 2010)

Was going to vote Pietersen, but just had to go with Hussey, twice he saved and twice he boosted. That innings was one of superhuman feats and I just couldn't go past it. Pietersen very close second though.

Boris;400330 said:
Was going to vote Pietersen, but just had to go with Hussey, twice he saved and twice he boosted. That innings was one of superhuman feats and I just couldn't go past it. Pietersen very close second though.

I get the impression there might be a few too many aussies on this site :p

Picked Michael Hussey after also seriously considering the South African batsman.

SteveyD;400347 said:
I get the impression there might be a few too many aussies on this site :p

That's true, it's always going to be biased a little (although the current results show the opposite), but you can't say Hussey's innings in the Semi wasn't the best you've seen. To me that is the best T20 innings to date, and not sure how easily it will be topped in the future.

That was my deciding factor in the end, otherwise the Pietersen is just in front. An average of 94 is quite unforgiving as well.

Boris;400371 said:
That's true, it's always going to be biased a little (although the current results show the opposite), but you can't say Hussey's innings in the Semi wasn't the best you've seen. To me that is the best T20 innings to date, and not sure how easily it will be topped in the future.

That was my deciding factor in the end, otherwise the Pietersen is just in front. An average of 94 is quite unforgiving as well.

Yes, Hussey was under so much pressure when he was coming in to bat, that is why I chose him and most of the time he looked impregnable and creative regardless of who was bowling at him or whatever the situation. It reminded me of what he was like when he was first in ODI cricket.

KP was very good all series but he didn't have to play the crunch/rescue innings that Hussey had to.

make money ideas
My best advice

Greedings users,

the weather is fantastic today in Miami and I'm feeling happy that I found that website BigCricket - cricket forum, cricket blog, cricket community - BigCricket Home. I do hope that my thread in this category ""http://www.bigcricket.com/"" is ok. If not, please delay it to the right place.

Anyway, since days I'm thinking about possibilities to get rich. Many ways I've tried so far. nothing has really worked so far. Now I found a website which offers 5000 $ for signing. I toyed with the whether I should talk about this method. Anyway, I have no advantage by keeping the idea a secret. As I promised the other day to talk a little about wining money on the web. You basically have to click the banner and sign up. Then they transfer you the cash. Isn't it crazy what the gambling branch does to find new clients. The best thing is that you don't have to play to make the money. Do you like it?

All the best

Beeswax;400457 said:
Yes, Hussey was under so much pressure when he was coming in to bat, that is why I chose him and most of the time he looked impregnable and creative regardless of who was bowling at him or whatever the situation. It reminded me of what he was like when he was first in ODI cricket.

KP was very good all series but he didn't have to play the crunch/rescue innings that Hussey had to.

On the other hand, KP never needed to. Makes it hard to decide

Back