bowling machines

jazega28

bowling machines

Hey guys i was just wondering how fast do first class cricketers and international crricketers face on the bowling machine???

I can currently face 70 miles per hour, its seem soo much faster than in real bowler????

How fast can u guys manage?

Re: bowling machines

It depends on what they want to work on but they'll normally be 75mph+ up to near the maximum of the machine.

I normally go with about 83/85mph but have had it at 90mph before, quick is not the word!

Speed isn't crucial, the key thing is that you're able to work on flaws etc. If it's too fast then what's the point? A comfortable pace is fine although you can build it up as needed.

I tend to have it set at the pace I do as facing faster bowling is one thing I have to work on. Saying that, it all depends on what I'm doing and what I want to work on. Sometimes having it at 60mph is far better than anything else as it still comes on to the bat a little but gives you time to check what you're doing.

The 1st Class cricketers I know seem to spend a lot more time on throw downs (both underarm and over) than actually on a bowling machine. Used to know a guy who now plays ICL, him and his friend spent upto 3hrs a day just throwing a ball to each other under arm, watching it onto the bat and grooving their shots. Also Tendulkar rarely faces much above 80mph on a bowling machine, an acquantaince of mine has a video of him practising against 75 in the nets in India.

As said above speed doesn't matter, just practise your technique. Then when you feel comfortable tweak it up just a couple of MPH, no point facing a speed you can't hit.

lol i faced 60 mph the other day i cudent even time my drives. Seems so fast but u get used to it. I think facing the bowling machiene is easier than facing a bowler, dunno thats just me cuz i dont back away from the bowling machiene but i do when facing a bowler.

With a bowling machine you know pretty much where the ball is going to go, a bowler has that element of surprise.

In India;the Bowling Machine concept has not yet been taken seroiusly.
Now only we have a new Indoor cricket facility coming up in Mumbai.
But unfortunately only for the Mumbai Ranji selected teams(u15,17,19....)
So it is just to the throwdowns/knocking practice.

EVO; Can u post the video of sachin batting in the nets.

virender i got my cousin to under arm some balls to me for like 20 mins on my legs and now i have improved my leg glance, its easier to time the ball when its under arm on the full rather than playing after the bounce, how can i improve the timing of the shots when playing normal bowling? when do i strike the ball after the ball pitches?

RLB,
If u have the bowling machine available then it is much better to practice.
If not; then it would be better if u practice throwdowns over arm instead of under arm.
At first u can keep the pace normal so u can watch the ball clearly and increase later on.
The high arm action rather than under arm will be an added advantage.
The person should throw from the bowler's end making it a full pitch area so u can see the ball all the way thru to play the leg glance.
That will be a good practice.

Great to see people thoughts, for my self i can face 70 miles per hour where i can drive cut and pull the ball, anything over is very quick.. The real point of this thread is if anyone knows of the actual speed say a ponting, hayden or any first class cricketer sets the ball machine...

They do use the ball machine alot know days

They will most probably set it according to what they want to work on. If they know they're likely to be facing someone fast (Steyn for example) then they'll have it cranked up to a similar speed. If they're trying to work on flaw then it'll be set to a lower speed.

To get the actual figures you'll probably need to speak to the players themselves, but I don't think it'll be a set speed that they stick to.

i think professional players put the speed to lke 75 mph but they add swing or seam to the bowling machine or they face 50 mph spinning deliveries instead of us club cricketers with the ball just coming straight

Yeh its something i will ask when i see a good player, i put this post just in case if someone knows or asked before...

Or mayb there might be some top coaches, or support staff who vist this site who might know how fast international players or first class players set the bowling machine...

I know that some players have it on 80 miles per hour, but if there is anyone who knows any particular players setting feel free to tell or explain there own experience using the machine.....

I know the guy who opened for Kenya during the 2003 world cup was facing 150kph. Just to show off though, I don't think he actually faces that all the time.

I love bowling machines. However getting the best out of them is not always as easy as putting setting them to where you want the balls to go, and how fast you want them to get there, and then batting for an hour. Practicing with a bowling machine is as much an operation in the mental aspect of batting: You have to convince yourself before each delivery that you don't know even know the general area that the ball is going to pitch. If you're setting yourself to play a cover drive every ball, then the practice isn't as valuable as it could be. On the other hand, If you're resetting your stance, and getting balanced so that you can play your full shot repetoire, then it becomes truely valuable time spent.

Slightly off topic:

For any club, specifically in Australia, that requires a bowling machine or any other equiptment: Contact your local council about grant schemes. All levels of government (Federal, State and local) are throwing money at junior sports development. Any club with a junior contingent is likely to be able to receive grants for specific equiptment so long they can justify it as beneficial for junior development. This is also true if you have a women's contigent. In the financial year, my club secured almost $20, 000 in grants for everything from junior uniforms, match day equiptment, sun/ rain shades and a brand new bowling machine.

with a bowling machine, can u modify its position before you feed the ball to you could set the length but move the area to the batsmen?

With the JUGS ones you can but usually you can't get them in the right area the first time, so it could go right into the side of the net.

There's these other bowling machines, I don't like them as much but they have a random setting and that means it will go random, and I think that's pretty good but yeh, I don't like them as much for some reason.

Back