Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

i have been told that with the 20/20 competition this year, that the draw includes games being played as double headers, with some games starting at 11 and then the second game at three, if this is right what are everyones thoughts on this?

harryhoward;269186 said:
i have been told that with the 20/20 competition this year, that the draw includes games being played as double headers, with some games starting at 11 and then the second game at three, if this is right what are everyones thoughts on this?

That I believe is the idea Harry. I think the plan was to have all the teams split into 2 or 4 groups, they play their 20/20 as doubleheaders. After all the group matches the top 4 teams play off on 1 final day - semis and final, just like the domestic 20/20 comp.

Whether it goes ahead like this remains to be seen.

Also, has anyone heard about the 'reserve' 20/20 comp? Where teams can nominate as many teams as they like, could turn into a bit of a farce, with senior players in the reserve 20/20's.

mate thats whats going to happen anyway, most of the older more established players that ive spoken to (especially bowlers) dont want to play and have said they will make themselves unavailable. all its going to be is half a clubs a grade and half a clubs b grade making up a side. and its not as if anyone is going to care if they win it or not.

harryhoward;269186 said:

That I believe is the idea Harry. I think the plan was to have all the teams split into 2 or 4 groups, they play their 20/20 as doubleheaders. After all the group matches the top 4 teams play off on 1 final day - semis and final, just like the domestic 20/20 comp.

Whether it goes ahead like this remains to be seen.

Also, has anyone heard about the 'reserve' 20/20 comp? Where teams can nominate as many teams as they like, could turn into a bit of a farce, with senior players in the reserve 20/20's.

when will cricket albury wodonga realise its not cricket australia, and let things be the majority of players i have spoken to reckon it should have been left the way it was, the question has to be asked if it aint broken, why fix it? as has been said who is gonna care who wins the 20/20... anyway bring the two day season on and lets get into it. good luck boys...

mate thats whats going to happen anyway, most of the older more established players that ive spoken to (especially bowlers) dont want to play and have said they will make themselves unavailable. all its going to be is half a clubs a grade and half a clubs b grade making up a side. and its not as if anyone is going to care if they win it or not.

old hand;269254 said:

Im not sure T20 is the right way to go but Im pretty sure theres a $2000 prize to the winner in A grade & a smaller amount in the B grade, so I think its in most clubs best intrest to have a crack, as we all know how hard it is to raise money at cricket clubs, can anyone confirm the prize money?

when will cricket albury wodonga realise its not cricket australia, and let things be the majority of players i have spoken to reckon it should have been left the way it was, the question has to be asked if it aint broken, why fix it? as has been said who is gonna care who wins the 20/20... anyway bring the two day season on and lets get into it. good luck boys...

i hadnt heard anything about prize money but that certainly will change things... though that doesnt mean that they shouldnt have left the BEC unchanged. If prize money is the only way they can get players interested then caw need to have a look at what there doing

old hand;269254 said:

Im not sure T20 is the right way to go but Im pretty sure theres a $2000 prize to the winner in A grade & a smaller amount in the B grade, so I think its in most clubs best intrest to have a crack, as we all know how hard it is to raise money at cricket clubs, can anyone confirm the prize money?

old hand;269254 said:

hey old hand,
not the biggest fan of T/20 myself, makes it hard for the lesser likes of a team to get a real go.
what i do know is that last year a lot of clubs got p^^t off because they got drawn to play the likes of east and north in rnd 1 of a knockout and then that was it. Also the seconds and thirds had to have that week off, not enough weeks and not enough grounds available etc. Doing a draw for our comp would suck you must agree??? At the very least this gives a few clubs the chance to play a few more games than they may normally have got??

i've heard a whisper that the board of caw are looking to fill another position or too, ....if you know so fuc^^^g much about cricket, perhaps you should fill one of them and solve all of these problems for us poor players who have to deal with all of this???

i hadnt heard anything about prize money but that certainly will change things... though that doesnt mean that they shouldnt have left the BEC unchanged. If prize money is the only way they can get players interested then caw need to have a look at what there doing

Lets not throw out the baby with the bath water people, 20/20 is a part of the cricketing landscape, & good on CAW for giving it a run. The only issue that i see with it is the timing of the competition, i don't know why it needs to be held on 3 or 4 Saturdays before Xmas. By my way of thinking, its perfectly suited to a round robin or knock out tournament through January, played perhaps on Tuesday nights as people are on holidays, training numbers a bit lower, longer daylight hours, etc etc. By condensing it over a period of 4 weeks, you can really highlight cricket in the region, promoting it in a similar fashion to how the domestic 20/20 is played, & can still have the final on Australia Day night, or even better Aust Day eve, with a 50 over final played the following day (obviously, the 50over format can be played on those days previously allocated for 20/20) Also, does it not make more sense that with the bulk of rep cricket played pre Xmas, & these games being 50 over games, that some sort of competition needs to be played at this time....?

Not sure if this makes sense, but happy to hear other thoughts.....

Midget

old hand;269254 said:

hey old hand,
not the biggest fan of T/20 myself, makes it hard for the lesser likes of a team to get a real go.
what i do know is that last year a lot of clubs got p^^t off because they got drawn to play the likes of east and north in rnd 1 of a knockout and then that was it. Also the seconds and thirds had to have that week off, not enough weeks and not enough grounds available etc. Doing a draw for our comp would suck you must agree??? At the very least this gives a few clubs the chance to play a few more games than they may normally have got??

i've heard a whisper that the board of caw are looking to fill another position or too, ....if you know so fuc^^^g much about cricket, perhaps you should fill one of them and solve all of these problems for us poor players who have to deal with all of this???

What annoys me about the whole 20/20 idea is that when we play rep cricket all of those fixtured games are 50 over cricket. we now play 80 overs or 20 overs and we dont get that 50 over game which is more relevant to those who play rep cricket, and from my understanding we could possibly or have got 3 sides playing rep cricket. this t20 craze is fine on the big stage as in internationaly but here locally we are not going to pull mass amounts of people and the intrest i think, is not as strong as its percieved.. i would like to see 50 games come back and leave the t20 for the east albury slog athon?..
can also tell you wodonga voted no

Lets not throw out the baby with the bath water people, 20/20 is a part of the cricketing landscape, & good on CAW for giving it a run. The only issue that i see with it is the timing of the competition, i don't know why it needs to be held on 3 or 4 Saturdays before Xmas. By my way of thinking, its perfectly suited to a round robin or knock out tournament through January, played perhaps on Tuesday nights as people are on holidays, training numbers a bit lower, longer daylight hours, etc etc. By condensing it over a period of 4 weeks, you can really highlight cricket in the region, promoting it in a similar fashion to how the domestic 20/20 is played, & can still have the final on Australia Day night, or even better Aust Day eve, with a 50 over final played the following day (obviously, the 50over format can be played on those days previously allocated for 20/20) Also, does it not make more sense that with the bulk of rep cricket played pre Xmas, & these games being 50 over games, that some sort of competition needs to be played at this time....?

Midget

The Big Dog;269437 said:
What annoys me about the whole 20/20 idea is that when we play rep cricket all of those fixtured games are 50 over cricket. we now play 80 overs or 20 overs and we dont get that 50 over game which is more relevant to those who play rep cricket, and from my understanding we could possibly or have got 3 sides playing rep cricket. this t20 craze is fine on the big stage as in internationaly but here locally we are not going to pull mass amounts of people and the intrest i think, is not as strong as its percieved.. i would like to see 50 games come back and leave the t20 for the east albury slog athon?..

Mate, you are spot on. I play in a league where I have said our competition lacks direction because we play 75 over two day games. It is a waste of time. Our rep games are 50 over one day games and we play at Bendigo Country Week which plays 55 over one day games. We play unspecific cricket.

As for the person who said playing 2020 wont give you go, if you are not one of the top 5 bats or top 5 bowlers or the wicket keeper you must not really be good enough champ. Maybe you should be playing in the lower grades. To compromise senior level cricket to give blokes a go is backwards in thinking.

it's the way it is for this year so why not just get on with it and enjoy 2020'i feel sorry for the c graders who i understand only play 4 of the first 8 weeks(if it does'nt rain) these blokes are gunna be roaring alchoholics by chrissy ,maybe i should buy a bottlesop.

The Big Dog;269437 said:

Mate, you are spot on. I play in a league where I have said our competition lacks direction because we play 75 over two day games. It is a waste of time. Our rep games are 50 over one day games and we play at Bendigo Country Week which plays 55 over one day games. We play unspecific cricket.

As for the person who said playing 2020 wont give you go, if you are not one of the top 5 bats or top 5 bowlers or the wicket keeper you must not really be good enough champ. Maybe you should be playing in the lower grades. To compromise senior level cricket to give blokes a go is backwards in thinking.

KokodaMidget;269435 said:

Midget

firstly ;
Sparky dont be so harsh on the guy> he is only exspressing his personal views.and it seems a few others agree with him.
KakoodaMidget. You make a very valid and sensible saloution. But we need to get to the bottom of why the board made this decision,keeping in mind that the clubs voted it in.Last year the cup was played in knock out formula which as rightly pointed out by sparky that the district clubs didnt like it because on seeding they were matched against prov clubs and got truelly smashed.
So reading between the lines they had a sook and wanted it played in round robin format. so they could get smashed a couple of times but may be win the odd one. this than created the problem of not having enough sundays to play the games or enogh grounds on saturdays to play the cup games along with bgrade games as well. So hence came the solutions.
Play 50 over cricket for the B E cup on the alloted saturdays but no one else plays ,like us 2nd graders for three saturdays (no grounds available) And I think the 3rd graders wernt going to play either. So that was the option for 50 over cricket . Or thier briliant salution 20t20 Double up . And the seconds playing as well.
Although not ideal for A grade provincial. but at least every one is gatting a game which is why we pay our subs.
For what it is worth I think the prov sides should only compete in the BE Cup. with the dist sides playing 20T20 double up fixtures. with the winner of that getting a go in the cup the following year.
Or leave it how it was last year.

it's the way it is for this year so why not just get on with it and enjoy 2020'i feel sorry for the c graders who i understand only play 4 of the first 8 weeks(if it does'nt rain) these blokes are gunna be roaring alchoholics by chrissy ,maybe i should buy a bottlesop.

sparky;269397 said:
hey old hand,

Mate as has been said by other people, i was just expressing an opinion. but i actually have experience working in sports admin and so im sorry if i feel i may be able to contribute something due to my experiences with other and somewhat bigger competitions. The most important thing, as others have eluded to, is to make sure that the games you are playing:

A) maximise the standard of the level of competition

B) are as close as possible to the playing conditions in rep cricket so as to develop the players to play those comps

C) increase participation, which granted CAW have done, although it probably could have been done a better way by having a second grade one day comp. surely if there are enough grounds for provinical and district to all play 2 day cricket at the same time there is for enough for one day cricket?

the above is not just for cricket, it extends to all sports. you must agree though that 20/20 doesnt fill 2 of the 3 objectives?

KokodaMidget;269435 said:

Midget

firstly ;
Sparky dont be so harsh on the guy> he is only exspressing his personal views.and it seems a few others agree with him.
KakoodaMidget. You make a very valid and sensible saloution. But we need to get to the bottom of why the board made this decision,keeping in mind that the clubs voted it in.Last year the cup was played in knock out formula which as rightly pointed out by sparky that the district clubs didnt like it because on seeding they were matched against prov clubs and got truelly smashed.
So reading between the lines they had a sook and wanted it played in round robin format. so they could get smashed a couple of times but may be win the odd one. this than created the problem of not having enough sundays to play the games or enogh grounds on saturdays to play the cup games along with bgrade games as well. So hence came the solutions.
Play 50 over cricket for the B E cup on the alloted saturdays but no one else plays ,like us 2nd graders for three saturdays (no grounds available) And I think the 3rd graders wernt going to play either. So that was the option for 50 over cricket . Or thier briliant salution 20t20 Double up . And the seconds playing as well.
Although not ideal for A grade provincial. but at least every one is gatting a game which is why we pay our subs.
For what it is worth I think the prov sides should only compete in the BE Cup. with the dist sides playing 20T20 double up fixtures. with the winner of that getting a go in the cup the following year.
Or leave it how it was last year.

got a look at the t20 draw and there will be 2 games a ground on the day with the first game starting at 12 and the next commencing at 3 so its good for the blokes in the first game who onced finished their game can sit back and have a few brewskis whilst watching the second game, like someone said above, maybe we just bite the bullet and try make something out of it?? but i still rather 50 over games!!

sparky;269397 said:
hey old hand,

Mate as has been said by other people, i was just expressing an opinion. but i actually have experience working in sports admin and so im sorry if i feel i may be able to contribute something due to my experiences with other and somewhat bigger competitions. The most important thing, as others have eluded to, is to make sure that the games you are playing:

B) are as close as possible to the playing conditions in rep cricket so as to develop the players to play those comps

C) increase participation, which granted CAW have done, although it probably could have been done a better way by having a second grade one day comp. surely if there are enough grounds for provinical and district to all play 2 day cricket at the same time there is for enough for one day cricket?

the above is not just for cricket, it extends to all sports. you must agree though that 20/20 doesnt fill 2 of the 3 objectives?

it's the fence or nothin;269456 said:

i hear you on this.but i'm sure there's T20 in c grade aswell.so some games will be no different to a normal week for them.at least some teams won't get beating around for 40 overs.aslo i'm guessing that there won't be enough umpires for all games.with different rules ie; field restriction,overs bowled etc. who will enforce these in the lower grades.i was told that there's prize money in all grades.image if the c garde team win $1000 they won't be sighted after australia final.....

just wondering with dederang stocking up this season if they win the grand final will they go up???? here's a line used before."sorry we ain't upto it".the CAW can't make them.Yack got away with it first time around .

Just wondering how many teams wodonga are having???

got a look at the t20 draw and there will be 2 games a ground on the day with the first game starting at 12 and the next commencing at 3 so its good for the blokes in the first game who onced finished their game can sit back and have a few brewskis whilst watching the second game, like someone said above, maybe we just bite the bullet and try make something out of it?? but i still rather 50 over games!!

old hand;269519 said:

I agree old hand, you raise some very important facts there. Do CAW actually have board meetings where they can discuss and debate these issues or is erdl just playing a lone role here? I'm not having a go at erdl because the guy does an absolute power of work but surely healthy discussion and debate at board level would have addressed a lot of the issues that are being debated here.

What would work better next year would be dedicated one day rounds where 50 over cricket is played (as per previous BEC). the top 2 teams then play off for the cup. This should also include a 2nd grade comp so that young players sre getting used to this format. Thirds play one day cricket anyway so its normal penneant cricket as usual for them on these nominated rounds.

if CAW then want to try 20/20 why not have a mid week comp? or a sunday carnival? you could have a combined provincial side, a district combined side and maybe a young guns side and why not invite neighbouring comps like a Wagga to be involved as well?

All in all i think we need to start concentrating on improving our local standard and lollipop cricket will not do that!
While on the matter we should also restrict Clubs to njo more than 2 treams per junior age group. there is no way known clubs with 3 and 4 teams can be properly coaching and training thier juniors, i have been invovled in junior cricket and its hard work looking after 2 teams in the age division let alone three......how the hell could you possibly train 40+ kids properly on the one night in 1.5 hours? and hoe the hell do the kids all get a fair bat and bowl with that many at training?
In my opinion the league should also restrict team numbers to 2 per age group, there are clubs who could absorb the extra kids no problem.

All in all i think we and the league need to start thinking about quality not just quantity!;)

it's the fence or nothin;269456 said:

i hear you on this.but i'm sure there's T20 in c grade aswell.so some games will be no different to a normal week for them.at least some teams won't get beating around for 40 overs.aslo i'm guessing that there won't be enough umpires for all games.with different rules ie; field restriction,overs bowled etc. who will enforce these in the lower grades.i was told that there's prize money in all grades.image if the c garde team win $1000 they won't be sighted after australia final.....

just wondering with dederang stocking up this season if they win the grand final will they go up???? here's a line used before."sorry we ain't upto it".the CAW can't make them.Yack got away with it first time around .

Just wondering how many teams wodonga are having???

What I can't understand is why the four clubs weren't forced to vote before a decision was made? Surely it wouldn't have taken much for phone calls to be made to the four Presidents to find out which way they were voting. It seems to me that Erdlejac got the numbers he wanted so that was the end of it.

It's obvious that the District clubs see 20/20 as their best way to beat the Provincial clubs but surely everyone can see that this isn't good for cricket in the area.

I don't know of a single player that's happy about the change and judging by the reaction in here there is zero support for it.

I hope for CAW's sake it works but it doesn't look good when even the Chairman of the Board is canning it.

old hand;269519 said:

I agree old hand, you raise some very important facts there. Do CAW actually have board meetings where they can discuss and debate these issues or is erdl just playing a lone role here? I'm not having a go at erdl because the guy does an absolute power of work but surely healthy discussion and debate at board level would have addressed a lot of the issues that are being debated here.

What would work better next year would be dedicated one day rounds where 50 over cricket is played (as per previous BEC). the top 2 teams then play off for the cup. This should also include a 2nd grade comp so that young players sre getting used to this format. Thirds play one day cricket anyway so its normal penneant cricket as usual for them on these nominated rounds.

if CAW then want to try 20/20 why not have a mid week comp? or a sunday carnival? you could have a combined provincial side, a district combined side and maybe a young guns side and why not invite neighbouring comps like a Wagga to be involved as well?

All in all i think we need to start concentrating on improving our local standard and lollipop cricket will not do that!
While on the matter we should also restrict Clubs to njo more than 2 treams per junior age group. there is no way known clubs with 3 and 4 teams can be properly coaching and training thier juniors, i have been invovled in junior cricket and its hard work looking after 2 teams in the age division let alone three......how the hell could you possibly train 40+ kids properly on the one night in 1.5 hours? and hoe the hell do the kids all get a fair bat and bowl with that many at training?
In my opinion the league should also restrict team numbers to 2 per age group, there are clubs who could absorb the extra kids no problem.

All in all i think we and the league need to start thinking about quality not just quantity!;)

Sir Don;270122 said:
What I can't understand is why the four clubs weren't forced to vote before a decision was made? Surely it wouldn't have taken much for phone calls to be made to the four Presidents to find out which way they were voting. It seems to me that Erdlejac got the numbers he wanted so that was the end of it.

It's obvious that the District clubs see 20/20 as their best way to beat the Provincial clubs but surely everyone can see that this isn't good for cricket in the area.

I don't know of a single player that's happy about the change and judging by the reaction in here there is zero support for it.

I hope for CAW's sake it works but it doesn't look good when even the Chairman of the Board is canning it.

We are all here talking about 20T cricket and who voted for it etc.
Why the FxxxK did it go to the clubs for a vote?
Didnt the ABCA set up a board of control a few years ago which is supposedly independant of the clubs,and there sole purpose was to direct cricket in the right direction.and take power and decision making away from the clubs,who lets be honest some wouldnt know whats good for cricket and whats not(not meaning any disrespect ,clubs will only vote for what they think suits their club only).Hence the appointment of a BOARD.
What really were they thinking???
It seems to me that we are starting to play less cricket now than we ever had.
Cutting back overs from 85 to 80 a couple years ago was a disgrace,when in fact we should be looking at going to 90/100 overs a day especially in prov.
Those who cant cope with them overs there are enough teams and comps to suit every ones level of commitment. Look at Canberra they havent got a comp thats any stronger than ours and they play full days cricket 100 ov,hence they seem to get a lot of the good country juniors going there way! Why? because they want to develope there game.
P.S They have a board of control that makes decisions based on the develope ment of cricket not for the minority that want to have a social game of hit and giggle.

I agree with you there, i think there has to be an independant board to make decisions, but finding people who arent aligned to a club already is going to be a fair challenge, especially in what is a reasonablly small community in albury wodonga. As to whether the ABCA established an indepepndant board a few years ago im not sure, but that would have disappeared when the merger happened.

I have to say though that canberra has a competition which is a fair bit stronger than ours, thats why our rep team goes and plays there club sides in the konica cup. i mean from there competition they have a side that plays in the cricket australia cup against the state second 11s. i cant see CAW putting up a side that would be able to do that, although there are probably a few players locally who would get a game for the comets. And the reason that they have an independant board is because they have the funds to higher full time staff to run the competition up there, through both sponsorship and money cricket australia gives them for the ACT participating in the CA Cup. we simply dont have that. although i do think we should be playing 90/100 overs a day

Sir Don;270122 said:

We are all here talking about 20T cricket and who voted for it etc.
Why the FxxxK did it go to the clubs for a vote?
Didnt the ABCA set up a board of control a few years ago which is supposedly independant of the clubs,and there sole purpose was to direct cricket in the right direction.and take power and decision making away from the clubs,who lets be honest some wouldnt know whats good for cricket and whats not(not meaning any disrespect ,clubs will only vote for what they think suits their club only).Hence the appointment of a BOARD.
What really were they thinking???
It seems to me that we are starting to play less cricket now than we ever had.
Cutting back overs from 85 to 80 a couple years ago was a disgrace,when in fact we should be looking at going to 90/100 overs a day especially in prov.
Those who cant cope with them overs there are enough teams and comps to suit every ones level of commitment. Look at Canberra they havent got a comp thats any stronger than ours and they play full days cricket 100 ov,hence they seem to get a lot of the good country juniors going there way! Why? because they want to develope there game.
P.S They have a board of control that makes decisions based on the develope ment of cricket not for the minority that want to have a social game of hit and giggle.

old hand;270236 said:
I agree with you there, i think there has to be an independant board to make decisions, but finding people who arent aligned to a club already is going to be a fair challenge, especially in what is a reasonablly small community in albury wodonga. As to whether the ABCA established an indepepndant board a few years ago im not sure, but that would have disappeared when the merger happened.

I have to say though that canberra has a competition which is a fair bit stronger than ours, thats why our rep team goes and plays there club sides in the konica cup. i mean from there competition they have a side that plays in the cricket australia cup against the state second 11s. i cant see CAW putting up a side that would be able to do that, although there are probably a few players locally who would get a game for the comets. And the reason that they have an independant board is because they have the funds to higher full time staff to run the competition up there, through both sponsorship and money cricket australia gives them for the ACT participating in the CA Cup. we simply dont have that. although i do think we should be playing 90/100 overs a day

ok lets focus on the fact its here n ask around whos interested in seeing who do what in the T20 comp?

old hand;270236 said:

We already have an independant board as i already stated and it is still there to make the decisions even post merger.
I also think your underrating the comp we have here compared to the act,North Albury fielded a side in the Konica cup not that long ago and made the final, they beat every one (bar Queenbeyan in the final) The facts you are stating about act cricket are actually making my argument, They have a board thet obviously has had terrific foresight and have driven there comp forward, and in return they have been given great support from CA and from corperate sponsorship. Believe me, when we put our best rep side on the park it would more than match the ACT. The only differance is that they have a couple of 1st class standard players ,like Cade Brown. If CAW get it right the possibilities are endless, maybe we can keep our first class players instead of them going else where to develope. And if we pay our players to play rep you wuold be amazed at how good a rep side CAW could field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back