Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

harryhoward;267583 said:
does anyone know the opening round draw for prov ? havent managed to see who is playing who, can anyone help

I have been to the "new improved" website and can't find a thing about draws there, also emailed the league to no avail and no reply ! Can anyone tell us where the damn draw is ??????????????????????:confused::confused:

harryhoward;267773 said:
fair enough mate, your certainly entitled to your opinion, i just dont think many will agree with it.

Woody is a jet - equal best player with Rod Barton in recent times, arguably best batter, bowler and clearly the best fielder in ABCA ranks since he turned up. Once watched at Alexandra Park when Woody was in his prime bowling to Barto, no helmet - two guys who were truly first class cricketers. Woody was bowling a whole heap of gas at Rod and Barto continued to play his favourite shot, the cut shot - despite four gullies, two backward points, two forward points and a deep point. An honourable mention to S Wright, his record is pretty bloody good.

In terms of second grade cricketers I have played against and seen, I think his name was Stuart or Steven Millar from North Albury. Saw him play cover drives off one knee once and couldn't work out why he hadn't kicked on. Thought I would 'flag' that one with you Wanie Eat Your Heart out.

Moscow Mongrel;267724 said:
I played with Woody for many years and seriously think he is overrated!!!

fair enough mate, your certainly entitled to your opinion, i just dont think many will agree with it.

Are the good old days of B grade Kooka.
Who can forget the pace of Chris Lee, the guile of Phil Friedlieb or the all round talents of Danny McGuigan?
As for C grade that's a whole new level.

harryhoward;267773 said:

Woody is a jet - equal best player with Rod Barton in recent times, arguably best batter, bowler and clearly the best fielder in ABCA ranks since he turned up. Once watched at Alexandra Park when Woody was in his prime bowling to Barto, no helmet - two guys who were truly first class cricketers. Woody was bowling a whole heap of gas at Rod and Barto continued to play his favourite shot, the cut shot - despite four gullies, two backward points, two forward points and a deep point. An honourable mention to S Wright, his record is pretty bloody good.

In terms of second grade cricketers I have played against and seen, I think his name was Stuart or Steven Millar from North Albury. Saw him play cover drives off one knee once and couldn't work out why he hadn't kicked on. Thought I would 'flag' that one with you Wanie Eat Your Heart out.

Are the good old days of B grade Kooka.
Who can forget the pace of Chris Lee, the guile of Phil Friedlieb or the all round talents of Danny McGuigan?
As for C grade that's a whole new level.

The Kookaburra;267942 said:

Stuart it is Kooka.
Yeh his cover drive was special. Saw him oneday think it might have been a practice match or something,Infamouse left arm chinaman Ken "Hoof" Hanna,
bowling to the "Bradman of bunton:" Millar, It was just mesmerising ,the foot work would have left Fred Astaire gob smacked.Two giants of the game going at it head on. It took a big googly to finaly knock him over. Stui coming off spitting chips about the ball hitting a shifter or something that had been rolled into the wicket. A bit like the great "Mask" ,always an excuse for getting out.
For the record it was the best 10 Ive ever seen.and the curator was infact Ken Hanna. so there could have been some truth in stuarts story.

Sir Don;266546 said:
Is it true that the Border Express Cup is going to be a 20/20 comp this year? I heard the other day that there's going to be five rounds rather than a knockout this year. Can anyone confirm?

What a waste of time! I don't reckon the Provincial clubs will be too keen on the idea.

from reading todays paper that can now be confirmed 20/20 will be replacing the 50 0ver format, with 9 clubs saying yes 5 clubs saying no, and four clubs did not bother replying, wonder who the four clubs were that did not respond?
personally i hate 20/20 cricket and they should have left it as was, i guess time will tell if they made the right decision....

The Kookaburra;267942 said:

Stuart it is Kooka.
Yeh his cover drive was special. Saw him oneday think it might have been a practice match or something,Infamouse left arm chinaman Ken "Hoof" Hanna,
bowling to the "Bradman of bunton:" Millar, It was just mesmerising ,the foot work would have left Fred Astaire gob smacked.Two giants of the game going at it head on. It took a big googly to finaly knock him over. Stui coming off spitting chips about the ball hitting a shifter or something that had been rolled into the wicket. A bit like the great "Mask" ,always an excuse for getting out.
For the record it was the best 10 Ive ever seen.and the curator was infact Ken Hanna. so there could have been some truth in stuarts story.

harryhoward;268488 said:
from reading todays paper that can now be confirmed 20/20 will be replacing the 50 0ver format, with 9 clubs saying yes 5 clubs saying no, and four clubs did not bother replying, wonder who the four clubs were that did not respond?
personally i hate 20/20 cricket and they should have left it as was, i guess time will tell if they made the right decision....

20/20 certainly isnt the game of skill but its certainly a game of excitement and if that means changing it to the T20 and it pulls a great reaction from the public that can only be a plus for the association

Sir Don;266546 said:
Is it true that the Border Express Cup is going to be a 20/20 comp this year? I heard the other day that there's going to be five rounds rather than a knockout this year. Can anyone confirm?

What a waste of time! I don't reckon the Provincial clubs will be too keen on the idea.

still reckon they could have had it as a knock out on a wednesday arvo if they wanted to and left the 50 over comp as it was, with the semi finals played as a double header at LPO and the final the following week

harryhoward;268488 said:

20/20 certainly isnt the game of skill but its certainly a game of excitement and if that means changing it to the T20 and it pulls a great reaction from the public that can only be a plus for the association

Its Honestly Middo;267642 said:
Bunton was never dodgy while i played there and i dont think u could compare it 2 the Ranga deck,which while its not a great deck there was some resonable scores out there last season.

Middo - rumour has it that you didn't bend your back enough when you played at Bunton to test out the true condition of the deck. I only watched you there once and Scott Smedley made you look like a second grader. Thank god Barton came on after taking the gloves off and fixed him up with a wrongun'.

still reckon they could have had it as a knock out on a wednesday arvo if they wanted to and left the 50 over comp as it was, with the semi finals played as a double header at LPO and the final the following week

Very disappointing that the CAW has chosen the 20/20 route as it will not improve cricket in the area. The good players will dominant, young players will not get a go. There will be a few players spending 20 overs fielding and little else.

Woody and Barton were good players in their time but their time was back when mulletts were in vogue. They haven't been red hot for 10+ years. Middo has even peaked and gone into decline since they were at their best.

Few real standouts recently with any real good young blokes going down to Melbourne or Sydney. The best of the last couple of years is Daniels from North, when he keeps his mouth shut and Peterson when he wasn't disgracing himself off the field. Both have put together 4 or 5 good years. The competition has lacked a quality fast bowler since the big bloke from North went back to Corowa.

Its Honestly Middo;267642 said:
Bunton was never dodgy while i played there and i dont think u could compare it 2 the Ranga deck,which while its not a great deck there was some resonable scores out there last season.

Middo - rumour has it that you didn't bend your back enough when you played at Bunton to test out the true condition of the deck. I only watched you there once and Scott Smedley made you look like a second grader. Thank god Barton came on after taking the gloves off and fixed him up with a wrongun'.

The Kookaburra;268563 said:

U gotta admit tho that Smeds was a quality bat and Barto a very underrated bowler.
Think Barto may have out smarted Smeds that day and bowled one that
actually turned.:D:D

Very disappointing that the CAW has chosen the 20/20 route as it will not improve cricket in the area. The good players will dominant, young players will not get a go. There will be a few players spending 20 overs fielding and little else.

Woody and Barton were good players in their time but their time was back when mulletts were in vogue. They haven't been red hot for 10+ years. Middo has even peaked and gone into decline since they were at their best.

Few real standouts recently with any real good young blokes going down to Melbourne or Sydney. The best of the last couple of years is Daniels from North, when he keeps his mouth shut and Peterson when he wasn't disgracing himself off the field. Both have put together 4 or 5 good years. The competition has lacked a quality fast bowler since the big bloke from North went back to Corowa.

Bowlin Smoke;268583 said:

no surprise really that 20/20 has been brought in by CAW.
The idea of the full 50-over comp was to get exposure for the league and hoping to get more people to each game, but it fell flat on its arse.
Now time to bring in the new popcorn cricket to attempt the same thing, will it work, time will tell.

The only thing for sure is the CAW better not make it the backbone of the season or the whole comp will start swirling down the tube.

Bring on Oct 11!

The Kookaburra;268563 said:

U gotta admit tho that Smeds was a quality bat and Barto a very underrated bowler.
Think Barto may have out smarted Smeds that day and bowled one that
actually turned.:D:D

harryhoward;268488 said:

From what I heard St Pats, Lavington and North Albury all voted against it. Not sure who the other two were but I'd be tipping East Albury and Wodonga.

I hope everyone enjoys the T20 this season because I can't see it lasting more than a year.

Bowlin Smoke;268583 said:

no surprise really that 20/20 has been brought in by CAW.
The idea of the full 50-over comp was to get exposure for the league and hoping to get more people to each game, but it fell flat on its arse.
Now time to bring in the new popcorn cricket to attempt the same thing, will it work, time will tell.

The only thing for sure is the CAW better not make it the backbone of the season or the whole comp will start swirling down the tube.

Bring on Oct 11!

lets hope not, cant think of a bigger waste of time to be perfectly honest. can you imagine Bethanga V North Albury in a 20/20? i see scores of 2/300 off 20 overs in games like that not out of reach

harryhoward;268488 said:

From what I heard St Pats, Lavington and North Albury all voted against it. Not sure who the other two were but I'd be tipping East Albury and Wodonga.

I hope everyone enjoys the T20 this season because I can't see it lasting more than a year.

old hand;268836 said:
lets hope not, cant think of a bigger waste of time to be perfectly honest. can you imagine Bethanga V North Albury in a 20/20? i see scores of 2/300 off 20 overs in games like that not out of reach

yeah you are probably right there, but you would think Nth Albury should be able to chase that score down!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

old hand;268836 said:

yeah you are probably right there, but you would think Nth Albury should be able to chase that score down!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

i have been told that with the 20/20 competition this year, that the draw includes games being played as double headers, with some games starting at 11 and then the second game at three, if this is right what are everyones thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back