Dhoni - #1 batsman in the world

pal

....according to the ICC.

India's Mahendra Singh Dhoni has moved to the top of the LG ICC Player Rankings for ODI batsmen.

Dhoni was in second spot behind Ricky Ponting before the two-match ODI series against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi that finished on Wednesday night.

But his 59 in India's series-levelling win in the second match has been enough to move him one rating point ahead of the Australian captain.

It caps a remarkably rapid rise for the 24 year-old from Bihar because he only made his ODI debut in December 2004 but his statistics provide compelling support for his position on top of the world.

In 42 matches he averages 52.76 with two hundreds and eight fifties and, equally significantly, he has made those runs at an awesome strike-rate of 103 runs per hundred balls.

Dhoni is one of three India batsmen in the top 10 places of the LG ICC Player Rankings for ODI batsmen with captain Rahul Dravid ninth (up two places) and Yuvraj Singh (10th) also featuring.

Further down the list are the injured Sachin Tendulkar in joint 21st spot with Sri Lanka's Sanath Jayasuriya and Virender Sehwag, whose return to form with 73 on Wednesday has seen him move back up four places to joint 24th position, alongside England's Andrew Strauss.

? ICC[/quote:1c73bp5c]

Better than Gilchrist,
azn.gif
I think he's more consistent and solid playing at the 3 spot, rather than coming lower in the order at the end of the match and trying to slog everything.

Two things: it's interesting to see why he doesn't fair well in the longer version of the game and where is Pietersen in the rankings? He's been pretty consistent all his career, an average of about 65 proves that!

DHONI HAS DONE WELL.WHENEVER HE WALKS OUT TO BAT EVERYYONE CHANTS HIS NAME(SAME THING HAPPENED TO SACHIN IN HIS PEAK POINT OF HIS CAREER).

I havent really watched him play. but keep hearing and reading good things about him. Hope he is able to sustain the rich form he is in till the world cup next year

Dhoni is unique and provides a huge competitive edge to the Indian team, as for world's no1, only time will tell, but a fantastic beginning that is for sure. I also think that his weaknesses have not been exploited yet, like those of Sehwags.

True. It is difficult to forget what a fantastic start Sehwag made to his ODI career, and yet his average is in the 30's, today. His test match success has surprised all, though. I guess he is just a little too impatient in ODIs.

As for Dhoni, I think if he can make it in the Test arena, he will be a difficult customer. I guess part of his failure in tests can be attributed to the fact that bowlers have time to think him out, or just bowl defensively and wait.

dhoni s a good player he will be number 1 in future. dont gv him this much boostup if so he gna neglt

It is way too early for us to say that he is the best in any form of cricket.He needs to prove himself on pitches that are conducive to swing and seam

he is definately up there as far as ODI's go
but if we look at technique he is no Bradman or tendulkar

Dhoni is an excellent player, and has some of the finest shots. However, he plays similar to Shahid Afridi, so when they make runs, they make alot but when they dont they get out very quickly. So my point is that Dhoni will have to change the way he plays in order to earn the #1 spot which is very hard. In my opinion, he should just play the way he plays now because we need atleast 1 person like him in the team.

dhoni isnt going to be the next tendulkar...there is no way...dhoni could be the next better afridi for india...its like saying Afridi is the next wasim akram

[quote="sohum ":3os0mk5z]
Hmm, well he's slipped down to #2, I think.
[/quote:3os0mk5z]

Is It?

He will come back

He's not that far off from the number 1 spot.

Current standings:

1 A.C. Gilchrist AUS
2 R.R. Sarwan WI
3 R.T. Ponting AUS
[b:3lpeeubi]4 M.S. Dhoni IND[/b:3lpeeubi]
5 A. Symonds AUS

Back