Is it better to be a spinner?

rob84

Is it better to be a spinner?

top 3 wicket takers in the tests are spinners. they get to bowl more overs than fast bowlers and they get less injuries too because their bowling run up is short and less stress is put on the body. also with fast bowlers because with their pace sometimes the batsman survives as the ball flies away. so is it better for to be a good spinner than to be a good fast bowler?

Re: Is it better to be a spinner?

I have been a seamer and spinner, most wickets have come from being a seamer and taking pace off the ball in recent times. I think being versatile and bowling to the conditions and pitch is the best option. There does seem to be more spinners out there taking the majority of wickets, not only in tests, but now in Twenty20, spinners are ther wickets takers. Even the seamers are bowling more slower balls now then ever.

we need more spinners. most teams got 3-4 fast bowlers and just the 1 or 2 spinners. why do less people take up spin?

rob84 said:
top 3 wicket takers in the tests are spinners. they get to bowl more overs than fast bowlers and they get less injuries too because their bowling run up is short and less stress is put on the body. also with fast bowlers because with their pace sometimes the batsman survives as the ball flies away. so is it better for to be a good spinner than to be a good fast bowler?

Fast bowlers get respect the hard, vicious way. Fast bowlers instill fear in the opposition. Fast bowlers have to bowl less overs to get a wicket.

To be a fast bowler, you must have agression stored up inside. The benefit being that you can release this agression in the (usually;)) harmless form of a small leather ball rather than in a form that the courts will be more interested in.

;)

I like the art of spin but its more glamourous to bowl fast, although most of us fall far short of that :p.

Teams will always have more pace bowlers than spinners just because they are more versatile whereas spinners can do many things but are often a two or three trick pony.

Spin for me, it's a noble pursuit, a game of cat and mouse with the batting side.

Subtle changes of flight and spin coupled with changes in the field, it's all in the mind, the strongest wins!

swghayward79 said:
I like the art of spin but its more glamourous to bowl fast, although most of us fall far short of that :p.

Teams will always have more pace bowlers than spinners just because they are more versatile whereas spinners can do many things but are often a two or three trick pony.

You were doing so well.

Lets face it, fast bowling is like old danny here, and well, just sexy. Steaming in from the boundary, muscles ripped and looking great, what more is there?

Akthar, Imran Kahn, Flintoff and many more (I'm ignoring Willis), they all have something, the X factor!

Spinners - Croft - dumpy, Giles - Wheely bin!

What more is there to debate, dudes?!?

I like both but spin more than fast bowling. It gets more wickets because people attack more agaisnt spin too. Muralitharan and Warne are the best in the world and they are spinner. Fast bowlers have to waste a lot of energy to get wickets.

It is an Individual Choice after all.
I always played as a Left arm seamer till last season.
Then one day while practicing; i just try-ed left arm spin for fun.
From that day on i have stick to left arm spin bowling :)

i chose spin mainly because im a batsman and i dont want to waste energy bowling. leg spin requires energy too but not anywhere as much and results in far less injuries.

This is in the wrong place - come and join in and get the inside track in the bowling section under leg spin. The simple answer is
1. Spin is probably more complex, multi-faceted and difficult, but then so rewarding if you can learn how to do it to a useful level.
2. It's probably a case of "Do you want to do it and are you willing to put in the hours to get good at it"?
3. You're probably less inclined to damage your body.

I'd say yes it is better to be a spin bowler - the futures bright your future is spin.

PS I'm a spin bowler!

Another thing about spin is that it takes a bit brains as well. The bloke above - Danicus he omits to mention that despite his build Shane Warne is noted to be an incredible tactition. If you bowl spin you don't have to follow Warnes lifestyle and eating habits. Ironically looking at Danicus's comments at the bottom of his page it looks like some aspects of his character are Warnesque!

I love the idea of spin but for the moment I'll continue with the pace bowling. I guess pace has always been my first love but as I've gotten older the at and mouse battle that comes with spin has really started to attract me.

Can get some great turn on a cricket ball, just can't land it on the cut strip!

im pace because its far easier to get wickets on the artificial pitches i play on :D. finger spinners dont turn at all and a flighted leg spin delivery will bounce so much that it wont trouble most batsmen, so seam up all the way :laugh:

Being a spinner and being a fast bowler both have it's pro's and con's and i don't think it's possible that one is better than the other. Although the top 3 wicket takers are spinners, after that the other top wicket takers are all pace bowlers! ie. walsh, pollock, mcgrath,etc!

i just tried my hand at offspin bowling (in 44 degree heat :laugh:) and although it didnt turn, it was quite fun and i must say i did bowl them quite well

Back