South Africa in Australia

Re: South Africa in Australia

Ripping-LegBreak;299394 said:
may i ask why has australia opted for a offspinner to replace an offspinner. Aren't there any decent legspinners in the domestic circuit? If so shoulden't they be considered for selection, As Australia always were competent in the spin department with mcgill,warne, and even hogg.

There aren't really any Legspinners.

Byrce McGain is out best legspinner but he's injured. Cam White would be our second best and i wouldn't be giving him another test. Maybe Beau Casson? I've never seen him bowl in the longer form of the game so he might we worth another go.

Jolldo87;299407 said:
There aren't really any Legspinners.

Byrce McGain is out best legspinner but he's injured. Cam White would be our second best and i wouldn't be giving him another test. Maybe Beau Casson? I've never seen him bowl in the longer form of the game so he might we worth another go.
The fact that the aussies are wanting to use a 37 year old as their legspin bowler baffles me, especially when you have got younger people who are pretty good at domestic level.

Cam white could be used in a development role. Play him and teach him how to bowl leg spin.

If a 37 year is the best you've got, then you play him. Spinners are different to pace bolwers as they mature later. Add in the fact that the guy hasn't seen a lot of cricket and you could possibly say that he's 'x' amount years younger in cricketing terms.

White? No, the guy will never be any more than a decent bat who can bowl a bit. Australia have better potentials at which to throw resources on. Not saying that White won't be useful in the shorter forms of the game, but not a test player.

mas cambios;299409 said:
If a 37 year is the best you've got, then you play him. Spinners are different to pace bolwers as they mature later. Add in the fact that the guy hasn't seen a lot of cricket and you could possibly say that he's 'x' amount years younger in cricketing terms.

White? No, the guy will never be any more than a decent bat who can bowl a bit. Australia have better potentials at which to throw resources on. Not saying that White won't be useful in the shorter forms of the game, but not a test player.

You don't play an old fart when he is ready to retire.........

You play guys like White who yes we know he can bat and bowl a bit.

Guys like Casson, Bailey and a couple of others are missing out on test spots all because there are old farts in the team taking up the main spinner role.... :rolleyes:

schwab2clarkson;299414 said:

He could play for another 4 years and then in 4 years time another spinner might come through and be ready to play for Australia.

So you're against playing our best XI? We need to give ourselves the best chance of winning test matches at all times.

Guys like Casson, Bailey and a couple of others are missing out on test spots all because there are old farts in the team taking up the main spinner role.... :rolleyes:

Bailey. This just proves the stupidity of your argument. He can't get a game for South Australia and is just an average bowler in their second XI. How can you talk about him anywhere near the Australian side. :rolleyes:

schwab2clarkson;299414 said:

I disagree, if you have someone who can possibly do a good job and do it for 3 years or so, get them in. It would give the other players time to mature and learn the game, as well as giving them someone to learn from. True, he hasn't played a test and the chances are he never will but being a spin bowler is about more than just how much turn you get.

It's an art form, a game of cat and mouse between the bowler and the bat. The bowler teases them out with guile and cunning learned from playing the game. Warne get better as he got older not because he was getting ridiculous amounts of turn but because he was able to win mind games.

You seem to have a soft spot for White and I doubt that I nor anyone else will change your mind on him, but simply put he is never going to be a main test match spinner. An average of a shade under 40 is a big indication of that, plus the fact that at the moment he is hardly getting a bowl for his state side. If I recall correctly, even towards the end of his stint at Somerset he played pretty much as a batsman only.

Now, I'll be fair and say that maybe, just maybe he could develop into something but personally, I just don't see it. He would have to unlearn a lot of the negatives that he's picked up and almost recreate himself as a bowler. It's a big ask at 25 to do that, although not impossible. However, you need to factor in that there are players with more potential out there then him in that department, so why waste resources?

>.>

What do you reckon ponting is gonna do today and Hussey as well since he didnt play that well last match.

Yepp, Hayden definitely not in the best of positions at the moment.

I've also noticed early on in Ponting's innings that he's walking through his shots. I read somewhere(can't remember where, sorry), that this is an indication of how confident and balance the batsman is feeling. Can someone tell me if this is correct?

Steyn disappointed me in the way that he wasted a lot of balls early, I think he may struggle bowling to left handers.

breeno;299425 said:
Yepp, Hayden definitely not in the best of positions at the moment.

I've also noticed early on in Ponting's innings that he's walking through his shots. I read somewhere(can't remember where, sorry), that this is an indication of how confident and balance the batsman is feeling. Can someone tell me if this is correct?

Steyn disappointed me in the way that he wasted a lot of balls early, I think he may struggle bowling to left handers.

yeah i agree with steyn his looks a lot better bowling to the right hander, he is a sook, you watch him- every time he gets hit for a 4 he stands there as if they played a shockin shot and his unlucky what a sook.
ponting does do it often and his one that looks bad early but will still make a score it will be interesting to see.
i feel so sorry for hayden, very bad shot though maybe nervs?

Ponting dropped by McKenzie in slip in the last over before lunch. A very easy catch as well.

Jolldo87;299439 said:
Ponting dropped by McKenzie in slip in the last over before lunch. A very easy catch as well.

If Kallis was on the field it would have been De Villiers to catch it.
Still a good sign though because he was getting some swing an troubling ponting there in the last over. If he can keep it up Ponting woont last.

Back