South Africa in Australia

Re: South Africa in Australia

Very ordinary effort from Australia. Lee not bowling didn't help but he hasn't looked like getting a wicket for almost the entire game. That effectively leaves Johnson to carry the attack with two very inexperienced players to follow him up.

Caesar said:
I hate to seem like I have an axe to grind over Ponting, but honestly... what's happening? The most charitable explanation I can think of is that there's stuff going on behind the scenes (injuries, lack of Symo fitness) that gives some logic to these decisions.

Symonds is injured, no question. Fielded a ball early in the morning session and was visibly hobbling and doing so quite badly. Would only be about 60% fit in my opinion. No chance of bowling mediums, or bowling without any real effect.

Got to bring in Bollinger in my opinion. Lee's out for the rest of the series and probably the one-dayers also and playing Doug in front of his home crowd would be the ideal situation to blood him in. Bollinger can swing the ball both ways and would be a handy new ball partner to Johnson. Only problem is that gives us two left-arm bowlers and the selectors may not go for that.

The SCG pitch usually sees Australia play two spinners so Krejza and Haurtiz may both play with Dougy unlucky again.

Symonds has to go if not fit, can't carry an injured player.

South Africa have played very well again though. Duminy looks to be a star and Steyn will no doubt find himself a little higher in the order if he can produce innings like that with more regularity. Backs were up against the wall and they turned it on. Now it looks like Australia are the ones in trouble.

breeno;300638 said:
Grapedo will be loving it.

sure am Breeno thanks for thinking of me mate :D.

What a day for south Africa even I did't see this happening although I did think they would bat better today I never imagined in my wildest dreams they would get a lead.

The day started off well for south africa with Harris providing good support for Duminy in his 39. He was dismissed off the bowling of Hussey caught by a brilliant catch by Mitche Johnson at the long on boundary. Steyn and Duminy then put on a brilliant 180 run partnership and the Australian yobbos at the MCG were silenced :D. Steyn was then dismissed by an inswinging siddle yorker and he was bowled playin the wrong line through it. Duminy departed soon after as he top edged an attempted sweep shot off Hauritz and was caugbht by Siddle at short fine leg. But the damge was done and
South Africa had a handy lead.
Hayden was left with a bruise but apart from that he and Katich saw out the final 3 overs and were 0 - 4.
AND HERE IS A VALUABLE LESSON LEARNT
NEVER EVER WHAT SO EVER RIGHT OFF OR UNDERSTIMATE SOUTH AFRICA

Biggie;300769 said:
Australia will try and bat out this game.

I emphasis try. :eek:

Yeah exactly :D
I think they are better to bat normally. That way if the South African bowlers bowl as well as they batted then Australia will still have a respectable total maybe round 150 - 200. If they go into their shells and South Africa bowl well they may only need 100 - 150 to win due to the fact Australia were too conservative.
If the match is a draw then they cannot win the series and that will be a blow to Ponting's ego and his Captaincy Regime.
Will be very intersting I can't wait.:)

They'll go for the draw and try to win in Sydney to retain the trophy.

That is how our captain thinks Im afraid. :eek:

We wont be able to bowl SAf out on the 5th day so he msg will be to pile on the runs (Hopefully Hayden scores) and bat SAf out the game.

Looking forward to it.

Biggie;300788 said:
They'll go for the draw and try to win in Sydney to retain the trophy.

That is how our captain thinks Im afraid. :eek:

We wont be able to bowl SAf out on the 5th day so he msg will be to pile on the runs (Hopefully Hayden scores) and bat SAf out the game.

Looking forward to it.

Haha. Yes it will be intersting I didn't think they played for a trophy though ? Because if they don't and the series is a draw it will not hurt south Africa a great deal.

Look we had a poor day, this series is not over, probably have to play for a draw in this match. Then go to sydney, ask for a raging turner like the indians do, then let Krejza, Hauritz with Katich and Clarke helping out go sick.

Why don't we do what every country does, have pitches that would suit us.

Buddy23#;300794 said:
Look we had a sh$t day, this series is not over, probably have to play for a draw in this match. Then go to sydney, ask for a raging turner like the indians do, then let Krejza, Hauritz with Katich and Clarke helping out go sick.

Why don't we do what every country does, have pitches that would suit us.

don't remember saying the series was over. :confused:
We were discussing tactics not doomsaying.

grapedo;300798 said:
don't remember saying the series was over. :confused:
We were discussing tactics not doomsaying.

:rolleyes: Don't remember saying that you said the series was over. I was stating my own view

Biggie;300793 said:
Hmm hasn't every series got some sort of trophy?

I dunno tbh, just assumed. :p
This one doesn't have one. If you were able to listen to the cricket coverage yesterday on radio, you would have heard James Sutherland confirm that they were looking around for a name for the trophy.
If you don't believe me I suggest that you email him and find out for yourself....

schwab2clarkson;300837 said:
This one doesn't have one. If you were able to listen to the cricket coverage yesterday on radio, you would have heard James Sutherland confirm that they were looking around for a name for the trophy.
If you don't believe me I suggest that you email him and find out for yourself....

Maybe he was watching it on the television? I know that's what I do.

I think he's got better things to do than email James Sutherland.

tristo;300851 said:
Hayden batting for his future today??
I think he's gone either way. Either after this series or next. I'd like to see him go out on a high though.

Hayden out.

C: Duminy B: Steyn 23

Over and out. Should only play in Sydney if he announces his retirement!

Aus 1/37 - still trailing by 28

Ouch Hayden out, caught at Short Extra Cover for 23.

I feel bad for him, real shame.

Back