South Africa in Australia

Re: South Africa in Australia

If Lee takes it really easy, we could still push out a draw, IMO. If Lee makes 20 off 100 odd balls :)p), and Ponting makes like, 100+, we are still in it.

Code:
"Binga comes out crippled and outscores Hussey and Symonds combined.Good on ya, Brett!" says John.

I lol'd. :p

Far out. Always just before Tea.

Unlucky for Lee.

We should bring Siddle in next. He knows how to stick around.

Jolldo87;300993 said:
Far out. Always just before Tea.

Unlucky for Lee.

We should bring Siddle in next. He knows how to stick around.
At tea, Ponting should tell them to block everything:p. No jokes though, he should, and then he should make the runs.

Come on Aussies. We just need someone to stay in there until Punter can get about 150. That's about 100 more and gives us a lead of about 220. 250 would be even better. Then we have a CHANCE of winning this with some good bowling. Doubtful, but possible.

I know Lee is a good batsman, but I wish Ponting had protected him a bit more. At this point we're playing for a draw, optimising the scoring rate is pretty unimportant.

Saffers can smell blood. This is going to be a tough session.

EDIT: He's doing it again to Johnson... come on, Ponting - not everyone is as good as you. Take some of the heat.

Mousey;301000 said:
Come on Aussies. We just need someone to stay in there until Punter can get about 150. That's about 100 more and gives us a lead of about 220. 250 would be even better. Then we have a CHANCE of winning this with some good bowling. Doubtful, but possible.

Yes, doubtful. If Johnson fires again. :rolleyes:

In the theme of AFL football, I think the australian cricket team have bottomed out.

Hayden needs to be told to fall on his sword and retire. Either give him the final test as a goodbye test or drop him. Bring in either rogers or hughes. Take both to South africa and move katfish up to 6. Rogers is good enough to be the senior member of a new opening pair and develop this opening partnership together. Katfish is batting well but doesn't seem to jell as an opener. Will also give some stability to the middle order. Will need to bowl a little more. (this will not happen, katfish will stay opener and watson or symonds will contune to fail).

The middle order is just having a rough trot. Hussey will get some luck sooner then laer and will enjoy the new refural system in south africa. Pup looks like he is not ready for the captaincy but thats another debate and conversation in itself. Allowing him and haddin at 7 to play their free spirit game gives the katich at 5 or 6 even more currency.

Lee will be replaced and we need to look at the whole set up. Siddle is a hard hitting bowl all day bowler. Was the best of the aussies in the first innings but wont go through a batting line up. This stuart clark with a little more grunt. Hauritz and siddle will keep it tight, work all day but need the other two bowlers to be the hitmen. Johno is great, is working it away from the left handers and his pace is getting him wickets. But we need another strike bowler and hilf is the man. Right hand swing bowler, it's flem a little faster. Another option is two spinners and krazy gets a bowl. But only if it's a bunson burner.

But in the end, this test match is just what we needed. Some freshness in hilf, siddle and hughes. A opening pair who can learn together and work as a team. A spinning top 6 batsman instead of an injured all rounder. It's a new team which need to develop a little but a little more exciting then the lee/hayden of the past 4 tests.

BTW if ponting can pull this off he is a modern legend. The tail is good enough to hold up and put on another 100. Anyone remember hadley for england pulling off a miracle. MCG is alot different batting on the final day. Imagine if binga pulls out a 5 over miracle to win then unwinnable.

Caesar;301001 said:
I know Lee is a good batsman, but I wish Ponting had protected him a bit more. At this point we're playing for a draw, optimising the scoring rate is pretty unimportant.

Saffers can smell blood. This is going to be a tough session.

EDIT: He's doing it again to Johnson... come on, Ponting - not everyone is as good as you. Take some of the heat.

disagree, every run you score is one more they have to make. It's time and runs. Plus psychologically if you give the tailender some strike it tells them you back them. Thats huge from the captain. If he gets past the 100 we could see him freeing the shoulders a little.

Looking back, how huge was that clarke decision. Terrible shot in the context of the match.

But remember that SA was in the same situation in the first innings. It's all upstairs.

Gday fellas, been at the zoo all morning with my wife and kids.

Im heading back there after seeing this score.....

Pity no one stuck around with Ricky.

solar;301005 said:
Hayden needs to be told to fall on his sword and retire. Either give him the final test as a goodbye test or drop him.
Agreed.

solar;301005 said:
Bring in either rogers or hughes. Take both to South africa and move katfish up to 6. Rogers is good enough to be the senior member of a new opening pair and develop this opening partnership together. Katfish is batting well but doesn't seem to jell as an opener. Will also give some stability to the middle order. Will need to bowl a little more. (this will not happen, katfish will stay opener and watson or symonds will contune to fail).
I don't think this is the solution. Katich is an upper-order batsman, he needs some freedom to make his runs. Dropping an allrounder for him is not good - our lineup is shaky enough already, and while his chinamen are fine for a parttimer he can't start shouldering a significant portion of the stock bowling overs. If we need to look at changing the Watson/Symonds option then we should be looking at bowlers who can bat, not the other way around. Noffke is my preference if that's the way we go, but I think Watto/Symo will come good when they're fully fit.

I would like to see Katich stay at the top with Jaques. Until Phil is phit again, blood Rogers. Hughes is a sensational talent but he will get his chance later.

solar;301005 said:
Lee will be replaced and we need to look at the whole set up. Siddle is a hard hitting bowl all day bowler. Was the best of the aussies in the first innings but wont go through a batting line up. This stuart clark with a little more grunt. Hauritz and siddle will keep it tight, work all day but need the other two bowlers to be the hitmen. Johno is great, is working it away from the left handers and his pace is getting him wickets. But we need another strike bowler and hilf is the man. Right hand swing bowler, it's flem a little faster. Another option is two spinners and krazy gets a bowl. But only if it's a bunson burner.
Largely agreed, with the proviso that I'd prefer Krezja to Hauritz if he can rein in the runs. A spinner with some teeth who can take wickets is pretty important for all matches (not just spinning tops) and neither Hauritz or Symonds is that man.

solar;301005 said:
BTW if ponting can pull this off he is a modern legend. The tail is good enough to hold up and put on another 100. Anyone remember hadley for england pulling off a miracle. MCG is alot different batting on the final day. Imagine if binga pulls out a 5 over miracle to win then unwinnable.
I think this is a fantasy at this point. Ponting is already a modern legend as a batsman, but I think we'll be knocked over within the first hour tomorrow for a very exciting run chase.

I have to say that this is the best all rounder cricket side I have seen since the the west indies side, when we last lost a series. Their fielding has been awesome, is duminy the new jonty rhodes?

solar;301006 said:
disagree, every run you score is one more they have to make. It's time and runs. Plus psychologically if you give the tailender some strike it tells them you back them. Thats huge from the captain. If he gets past the 100 we could see him freeing the shoulders a little.
But wickets are the problem at the moment. Time at the crease will bring the runs. Ponting is on fire, he doesn't have to chase every single.

I don't mind giving the tailenders strike - Johnson is good enough to handle it. But with Steyn in the form he is, it makes sense to keep him away from them til they've got their bearings. Let them get some confidence banging Harris around, then let them face half an over to an over of the the Steynroller.

Caesar;301009 said:
I think this is a fantasy at this point. Ponting is already a modern legend as a batsman, but I think we'll be knocked over within the first hour tomorrow for a very exciting run chase.

Would be interesting to see us put on another 100-150 from now, and then get a few early wickets.

Back