The Lounge 2

Billionaire Andrew Forrest has called on other philanthropists and big business to respond to the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, today pledging a further $18 million through his Minderoo Foundation.

Your bloods worth bottling 'Twiggy'.
My brother is fairly high up in the mining industry and called the bloke a "crook", not something he would say lightly. When pressed as to why he said there was a lot of rumours about very dodgy stuff early on with his Indigenous charities.

Imo the bloke is a bit of phoney, his first interest is himself.

The Germans were the first organized group of non-English speaking settlers to come to Australia with the first arriving as early as 1836. Most settled in South Australia.

Where you aware of this Thomas.

The Germans were the first organized group of non-English speaking settlers to come to Australia with the first arriving as early as 1836. Most settled in South Australia.

Where you aware of this Thomas.
Of what? I can't see anything here but this is what it said in the accompanying message:
"The Germans were the first organized group of non-English speaking settlers to come to Australia with the first arriving as early as 1836. Most settled in South Australia."

This my answer:
No, but it doesn't surprise me given the massive emigration of Germans to America in the 19th and early 20th cent. which included my uncle and his family . Why shouldn't they have gone to Australia, too? I was thrilled to track them down as passengers of a Hapag-Lloyd steamer in 1901 and, later on, as American citizens in Illinois with their names already anglicised. Julius became Jule. Ever seen an American census sheet? Here it is. I'm not sure if I had already shared that with you? Did I?

I wish I could have shown this to my mother. She'd have been flabbergasted. I do admire them for that bold decision of moving to a far-away continent knowing that they didn't know a word in English. I'd like to get in touch with their descendants but I know that that would be a futile exercise since Americans are usually not interested.

Census.jpg

No, but it doesn't surprise me given the massive emigration of Germans to America in the 19th and early 20th cent. which included my uncle and his family .
Many came from the then Prussia. German settlers also played a vital role in the establishment of the South Australian wine industry, based in and around the the now iconic Barossa Valley. Several of the best known wine towns were German settled, such as Harnsdorf and Seppeltsfield.

Last edited:
Had a 35 over a side scratch match on turf yesterday. Went way better than my first one where I got carted.

Felt like I was bowling pretty quick, was hitting a good line and length most of the time. Got a fraction of away swing and seam movement with a 25 over old kookaburra 4 piece. Didn’t take a wicket but was pretty economical until my last over where I conceded a couple of boundaries off of edges.

I was bowling decent lines on 5-6th stump or onto off stump, but I think my best line is the one on 4th stump with a fraction of shape away and bounce. I couldn’t regularly find that area so I reckon that’s what I’ll be practicing this last week before my season starts.

Also being largely a swing bowler and being brought on in the 25th over is pretty rough. I couldn’t get my inswinger going at all and was only just getting some outswing so I was largely just bowling wobble-seamers with the odd outswinger.

Yeah not the scratchies unfortunately. I’ll be available for colts on Sundays and all those matches will be definitely be streamed.

There are 32 people available for 1 team though so I’ll need to be selected first 😂.

You want me to create a thread for sub State Level cricket ..
I am an avid follower of Western Australia cricket as I admire the visionary underage Premier Cricket program run by WACA. One of only two in the nation. One boy that has come thru this Pathway is now captaining the U19 side in India I posted about, Simon Budge and he is only 17 and 100 days old. He played 2nd grade and one or two 1st grade PC games last year at 16.

Last edited:
Many came from the then Prussia. German settlers also played a later role in the establishment of the South Australian wine industry, based in and around the the now iconic Barossa Valley. Several of the best known wine towns were German settled, such as Harnsdorf and Seppeltsfield.

You missed this Thomas.
I am currently watching an Aussie mini series about this very subject, set in the early 1930s.

Last edited:
Tell me if you agree that the actor playing the father is German.
On my to-do list was the article, not the series. But what a surprise, mate. :)The actor is Christian Kohlund whom I've known since the eighties when he was playing in "The Black Forest Clinic". He's a very popular actor whom I'm currently watching in a crime series called The Zurich Krimi (crime series).
I'm surprised for two reasons: a) because I didn't know he had a part in an English language series and b) because I just learnt that he's not German but Swiss. As I never heard an accent I used to think he was German. Now I also learn that nomen est omen since he comes full circle starring in The Zurich Krimi as a Swiss and although he was not born in Zurich.

Christian Kohlund - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Kohlund

On my to-do list was the article, not the series. But what a surprise, mate. :)The actor is Christian Kohlund whom I've known since the eighties when he was playing in "The Black Forest Clinic". He's a very popular actor whom I'm currently watching in a crime series called The Zurich Krimi (crime series).
I'm surprised for two reasons: a) because I didn't know he had a part in an English language series and b) because I just learnt that he's not German but Swiss. As I never heard an accent I used to think he was German. Now I also learn that nomen est omen since he comes full circle starring in The Zurich Krimi as a Swiss and although he was not born in Zurich.

Christian Kohlund - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Kohlund
Will you watch it mate. A family story, so refreshing to watch something like this. Lovely locations and good acting too from the Aussie cast, specially the boy playing Bruno..

Last edited:
Will you watch it mate. A family story, so refreshing to watch something like this. Lovely locations and good acting too from the Aussie cast, specially the boy playing Bruno..
I've started watching it. Looking at the boys and their adventures, does that remind you of your childhood? Will watch the woman teacher and her relationship to the pupils soon. From what I've seen so far, it seems to have been quite authoritarian and distant, very much in contrast to what I experienced as a pupil.

I agree Craig, I too would have thought the East German Educational system would have been Strict. Fair enough Thomas.

The Catholic education system was very strict in my Ulster with Brothers and Nuns. Lots of punishments like strapping and canning. Later I went to a Protestant Boy's Grammar school, my father was Anglican, which was easy going and in a coastal town. Even my Geography teacher talked about erections. Not construction erections.

Back