Twenty20 world cup

Cricketman

Twenty20 world cup

England are set to raise the possibility of the ICC staging a Twenty20 World Cup in the light of the Indian board's recent suggestions that the existing biannual Champions Trophy be ditched.

The Twenty20 format has proved immensely popular with the public wherever it has been introduced, and crowds for domestic matches in Australia, England, Pakistan and South Africa have been massive in comparison with the usual turnout. Last June, more than 30,000 spectators packed Lord's for a match between Middlesex and Surrey and today a record crowd of 38,000 packed The Gabba for Australia's first Twenty20 international.

While administrators in some countries have been slow to embrace the format, the old Indian board appeared to have been reluctant to consider it. It possibly feared that Twenty20 could threaten the lucrative one-day international market which provides it with a substantial income stream. For example, there are far fewer commercial opportunities for sale during a Twenty20 match than an ODI. The new board, however, might be more open minded.

The England board are thought to be concerned that India are looking to add even more ODIs to an already packed schedule, and, according to a report in last week's London-based Guardian, David Morgan, the ECB chairman, fears that the one-day concept could be oversold.

Cricket Australia, which also reaps hefty rewards from a string of one-dayers during its summer, gave the idea a lukewarm reception but denied that the idea for a Twenty20 World Cup had been raised with it. "England have certainly not raised the issue with us, and from a Cricket Australia point of view, we're staying open-minded," Peter Young, CA's communications manager, said. "Obviously Twenty20 cricket has been great for the English county game but we're not sure how that translates internationally. The international calendar is already quite full. Test cricket is enjoying a resurgence and one-day cricket is a success. We're conscious of that and don't want to upset that. We're still dipping our toes in the water with Twenty20 cricket at this stage."

But, assuming that it is not a flash in the pan - and the evidence so far is that it is not - then the weight of numbers going to watch Twenty20 matches might force the ICC's hand. The crowds for the first domestic tournament in Australia in the last week have been large, and that will, in turn attract the sponsors and the interest of television. After all, in the early 1970s one-day cricket was regarded with equal scepticism, and look where that is now.

? Cricinfo
[/quote:18eikjzw]

No...! That would suck. Twenty20 is entertaining, no doubt, but to make a world cup of it, its just not right. The game becomes more of a batsmans game and glorious drives would be replaced with Slogs. Im not happy.

Twenty20 world cup

Agreed. It takes away from the real 50-over WC. I would be in favor of a short, knockout-type series involving a few major teams, but a full-fledged WC based on Twent20 cricket isn't a good idea.

Twenty20 world cup

Having a Twenty20 world cup would simply move cricket interest towards that form of the game, like how 50 over cricket became more popular (for some time) than test cricket. However, I think most countries would not treat this seriously, and would send in second-grade teams. Twenty20 is only being played prevalently in England, Sri Lanka, South Africa and Pakistan. Australia just recently took it up. India have taken no signs of changing their domestic structure.

Twenty20 world cup

i wouldn't actually mind 2020 in the domestic version of the game for India. It would attract more crowds, and certainly gives players an experiance in how to play in the death, bowling and batting wise.

Twenty20 world cup

I wouldn't mind watching, either. In fact, I may even consider watching domestic cricket games. However, I doubt the senile administration of the ICC will ever do something like this.

Twenty20 world cup

I think its quite possible...i think the icc will approve of this ...theirs nothing wrong with trying new idea's to make cricket a better game

Twenty20 world cup

Its harder for the bowlers to get them out... but at the same time its more chances for catches.. with 4 overs he can do alot... i would know i play 20 20 matches in my leagues

Twenty20 world cup

Twenty20 is definitely a batsman's game. But it forces bowlers to become more accurate and play good all-round cricket (cut-down no-balls, bowl wicket to wicket, etc.) It doesn't, however, allow bowlers to strategically dismiss batsmen. If you don't have deadly deliveries or lots of guile, your job as a bowler is basically to contain runs.

Twenty20 world cup

Absolute nonsense in my opinion! I hate 20-20 version of the game!

Lets not go below the 50 over ODI format!

But I dont agree that the advent of 20-20 would affect 50 over or test matches. Even after 50 over cricket came, the quality of test cricket did not get diluted and people still love test matches for its tremendous skill requirement, etc

50 over cricket wont lose out to 20-20! After sometime, people will get bored of constant slogging and will ditch 20-20!

Twenty20 world cup

There was actually a period of a few years where test cricket entered a dull gloom, after the advent of ODI cricket, where only the die-hard aficianados watched it. The recovery came from Australia's new brand of test cricket, and then the Indians catching on to it. And of course, England's comeback as a strength in the cricket arena helped, too.

Twenty20 world cup

i like the concept of a 20/20 WC....would be fun...and it wont take away from the charm of the regular WC...it will be more of CIRCUS CRICKET...superb fun for the spectators. Somehow the vast majority of 50 over ODI's have now started getting predictable...this should spice things up!!

Twenty20 world cup

20 20 should be used more as the spreading of cricket.. those who love cricket loves the odi.. but those who are mad abt soccer and base ball, they wouldnot take an entire day to get into cricket

Back