What you feel before going out to the middle

Timed Out

What you feel before going out to the middle

Be it batting or bowling how do you feel when your either walking to the middle or running up to deliver the first ball of the innings or your spell?

I always feel a bit nervous when im going into bat but i have a sense of calmness as i know i have to relax inbetween balls, i also try to cover up my nervousness by walking into the middle and practicing a revese sweep :D.

When im running into bowl i always have a sense of anticipation and excitement like i cant wait to get going.

How do you feel before starting your forte?

Re: What you feel before going out to the middle

I dont let myself think about, bowling, i grab the ball, have a chat with the previous bowler, turn and head to my mark, when i get there, i have a word with myself, just saying i can do it, etc. Sounds stupid i know, but works when im a little off the mark.

Batting, i walk in, make sure im stretched. Get down to the wicket, try to delay the bowler for a minute whilst i do some gardening, checking the pitch. Its only when the bowler comes in do i feel a little nervous, once ive blocked the first couple im fine, confidence comes through, sometimes too much, but i try to stop that.

I usually come out to bat and think, 20 ball hundred here, really wanting a slog, but obviously when its 15/1, you can't so i settle in, tap my bat, get leather on willow, and just start up.

I normally put my pads on, then my box, then my helmet and last but not least my gloves :p

In all seriousness I usually get my gear on and then I get someone to give me some throw-downs to start blocking and moving my feet. Other than that nothing much.

I hate waiting to bat, in all honesty, i sometime go into the club house and play some pool with my pads on and have my kit outside the door, keeps the nerves away.

What you feel before going out to the middle?

Well, as soon as I hear "Yeaaah....Goooot Hiiiiimmm!!!" I basically shit myself. Iam possibly the most nervous person in the world. I am easy to get out in the first over because I hardly watch the ball.

Be it batting or bowling, I have a sense of eagerness and nervousness come over me. If I'm lucky, the eagerness overpowers the nervousness.

I usually try and imagine what the first ball will be like and think of how I am going to play it.

When bowling, I just concentrate on pitching the ball in the right place, not worrying too much about spin until I've found my line and length.

I'm usually nervous before I go in to bat, but I usually open or bat at number 3 so I don't have to wait too much.

I only get nervous when I have to bat but as soon as I get out there it's fine.

Might feel a few butterflies just before the first game of the season but I can't say that they last too long.

I get quite nervous before going out to bat, and they only really go when I get a respectable score considering the team's total or ball left :p. Different story when bowling though, usually open so have had time to think about it, so ready to put the ball in the right areas...hopefully.

Before I go in to bat ,I keep telling myself to watch the balls outside my off stump and not flash at them till I hit a few proper shots.Once I score my first run ,I feel more confident and the nervousness goes.I am not a regular bowler.

I'm really nervous when I go out to bat. I usually have lots of butterflies in my stomache, and need to take a dump.

I always hope that I'm at the non strikers end, just so I can see how they're bowling close up before facing.

:eek: I feel that the less i see, the more prepared ill be :p First two balls are the ones to remove me in!

Hooper said:

Well, as soon as I hear "Yeaaah....Goooot Hiiiiimmm!!!" I basically shit myself. Iam possibly the most nervous person in the world. I am easy to get out in the first over because I hardly watch the ball.

When I am batting and I hear the death rattle or as you put it "Yeaaah...Goooot Hiiimm!!!" I get really pissed and look back at the stumps like "What has happened?" and start walking off shaking my head. I am not really the person you want to talk to after I get out.

I dont want to make outragious claims, but LH, bat thrower?

Me to tbh, depends on what mood im in, im either cool about it, or my bat does some serious moveage of things!

No I just rip my gloves off and try to take my helmet off with the gloves on, which is like impossible. (When I walk off).

If I know I got a good ball then I will take it but if I start to settle in and then I get out I do get pretty annyoed (Swearing, turning people away when they try to console me etc.)

when im going out to bat i have to piss.
and i feel pretty nervous, i hope its the over and im at the non-strikers end, so i can get the feel of it 1st.
when im bowling...no nervousness. just hope it doesnt swing off the pitch. nothing worse then losing confidence after the 1st ball.

MarkMiller93 said:
and i feel pretty nervous, i hope its the over and im at the non-strikers end, so i can get the feel of it 1st.
when im bowling...no nervousness. just hope it doesnt swing off the pitch. nothing worse then losing confidence after the 1st ball.

I remember when I first started playing. I put on most of my gear and as my bat drew closer and closer I felt like I had to "let go" :embarrassed:. Though now I can keep it all in :D

Hooper said:

When I am batting and I hear the death rattle or as you put it "Yeaaah...Goooot Hiiimm!!!" I get really pissed and look back at the stumps like "What has happened?" and start walking off shaking my head. I am not really the person you want to talk to after I get out.

MarkMiller93 said:

Thank god I'm not the only one! :embarrassed:

I dont want to make outragious claims, but LH, bat thrower?

Me to tbh, depends on what mood im in, im either cool about it, or my bat does some serious moveage of things!

Walking to the middle i am always so nervous. having achived so many ducks i fear there will always be another. although 2 of my ducks could easily have been singles but nobody backs me up. i just think that people want me to get ducks. i always get cheers if i get off the mark aswell. im not used to it.
Bowling i am always nervous that my first ball will be a wide. if i get given the ball early in the game i am most nervous because it swings and usually too much to be able to control but nowadays i bowl over the seam

No I just rip my gloves off and try to take my helmet off with the gloves on, which is like impossible. (When I walk off).

If I know I got a good ball then I will take it but if I start to settle in and then I get out I do get pretty annyoed (Swearing, turning people away when they try to console me etc.)

Swing is a massive part of any game and as a left hander i know, if you get it right, especially inswing to the right hander, it can be deadly, maybe allow yourself a few more mistakes, and take chances!

And the duck thing, its a mental side of your game, if you think, "Im gunna hit a century here," you'd be better off, but you're thinking, "Duck number 100 here," which isnt good even for the likes of Pontings game!

Big yourself up, tell yourself this is your game!

Back