Asia will host 2011 World Cup

pal

India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka will host the 2011 World Cup and Australia-NZ will probably host the 2015 WC.

Asia have won the bid to host the 2011 World Cup by beating a joint bid by Australia and New Zealand by ten votes to three. The International Cricket Council's executive committee met in Dubai on Sunday, and Asia were represented by Inderjit Singh Bindra, the former president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.

The result is a boost for the Asian group whose bid had been weakened by a late submission. Only recently Ehsan Mani, the ICC president, had said, "Their [Asia's] strong case only weakened because of late submission of compliance book. Nevertheless, if Asia doesn't win the right for 2011 World Cup, I am sure they would get the 2015 World Cup."

India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh had made a bid and were allowed an extension until April 21 to set out their proposal after they had difficulty hitting the first deadline in March. [/quote:tv2ygmlo]

Great news. I wonder who the one team that supported Aus/Nz was. Perhaps England.

YEAH
grin.gif

I'm definately going to watch this....!

Yeah, the venues will be decided a long time from now. They just recently released the venues for the ICC Champions Trophy! And I'm sure they'll hit up the major centers like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore and Kolkata.

yup of course they will pick the major cities but places like GOA and stuff will make it too because of its beauty around the city. Im pretty sure india will want to show that city to the world...oh man i cant wait...Just 5 more years from now
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't like the idea of WC played in 4 countries...
It won't be a competitive tourney....
Players will be tired travelling across the sub-continent

I'm sure it will be similar to the 2007 WC (which is also being played across 4+ countries), where each group will have a base in a certain city/country.

Back