England in West Indies

Ljp86

Staff member
England in West Indies

Well, this series kind of snuck up on us. Longish series, going for two months before England head home for the start of their domestic season. There have been two tour games already, England were too good for the St Kitts Invitational side in the first game but West Indies "A" made England's attack look pretty ordinary in the second fixture.

The series has four tests, a Twenty20 match and also five one-dayers. West Indies were alright against New Zealand but they'll need to play better if they want to challenge England.

Fixtures - January 2009

Sunday 25th - Tuesday 27th: St Kitts Invitational XI vs England XI at Warner Park, Basseterre, St Kitts

Thursday 29th - Saturday 31st: West Indies "A" vs England XI at Warner Park, Basseterre, St Kitts

Wednesday 4th to Sunday 8th: West Indies vs England at Sabina Park, Kingston, Jamaica (10am local, 3pm GMT)

Friday 13th - Tuesday 17th: 2nd Test - West Indies v England at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, North Sound, Antigua (10:00 local, 14:00 GMT)

Saturday 21st - Sunday 22nd: Barbados Cricket Association President's XI v England XI at Windward Park, Lucas Street, Barbados (10:00 local, 14:00 GMT)

Thursday 26th February - Monday 2nd March: 3rd Test - West Indies v England at Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados (10:00 local, 14:00 GMT)

March 2009

Friday 6th - Tuesday 10th: 4th Test - West Indies v England at Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad (10:00 local, 14:00 GMT)

Saturday 14th: West Indies Players Association XI v England XI at Venue TBC, Trinidad (14:00 GMT)

Sunday 15th Only T20I - West Indies v England at Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad (14:00 local, 18:00 GMT)

Friday 20th: 1st ODI - West Indies v England at Providence Stadium, Guyana (09:30 local, 13:30 GMT)

Sunday 22nd: 2nd ODI - West Indies v England at Providence Stadium, Guyana (09:30 local, 13:30 GMT)

Friday 27th: 3rd ODI - West Indies v England at Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados (09:30 local, 13:30 GMT)

Sunday 29th: 4th ODI - West Indies v England at Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados (09:30 local, 13:30 GMT)

April 2009

Friday 3rd: 5th ODI - West Indies v England at Beausejour Stadium, Gros Islet, St Lucia (09:30 local, 13:30 GMT)

Squads

West Indies (First Test): *Chris Gayle, Lionel Baker, Sulieman Benn, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Fidel Edwards, Amit Jaggernauth, Xavier Marshall, Brendan Nash, Daren Powell, +Denesh Ramdin, Dale Richards, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Smith, Jerome Taylor

England (Test Series): *Andrew Strauss, Alistair Cook, +Tim Ambrose, James Anderson, Ian Bell, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Stephen Harmison, Monty Panesar, Kevin Pietersen, +Matthew Prior, Adil Rashid, Owais Shah, Ryan Sidebottom, Graeme Swann

England (ODI Series): *Andrew Strauss, James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, +Steve Davies, Andrew Flintoff, Stephen Harmison, Dmitri Mascarenhas, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, +Matthew Prior, Owais Shah, Ryan Sidebottom, Graeme Swann

Re: England in West Indies

West Indies are on top early, Strauss's debut as skipper was less than memorable. His scratchy innings of seven was ended via an edge behind to keeper Denesh Ramdin. Alistair Cook was just dismissed after a horribly short ball from Powell was pulled straight to mid-on.

2/32 from ten overs, Ian Bell is on 19 and Kevin Pietersen is on 1.

West Indies XI: *Chris Gayle, Devon Smith, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Xavier Marshall, Brendon Nash, +Denesh Ramdin, Jerome Taylor, Sulieman Benn, Daren Powell, Fidel Edwards

England XI: *Andrew Strauss, Alistair Cook, Ian Bell, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Matthew Prior, Stuart Broad, Ryan Sidebottom, Stephen Harmison, Monty Panesar

really not the best of starts, hopefully pietersen wil show us why he's in the team

Pieterson gone.... On 97... What a horrible shot. Now West Indies have broken a threatening partnership and the balance is tipped again. In comes Prior.

The English finish on 5/236. Pretty slow going by them, KP batted solidly for a 97 before being dismissed for a pretty poor shot.

Prior on 27 and Flintoff on 43 have put on a handy 56 runs to stumps.

Interesting days play but the English will require these two to push them into the 300-350 bracket tomorrow.

Not as bad as I feared it was going to be. We have to lose one of Bell or Collingwood, we're just carrying them.

Bring in Shah, he can't do much worse.

mas cambios;321598 said:
Not as bad as I feared it was going to be. We have to lose one of Bell or Collingwood, we're just carrying them.

Bring in Shah, he can't do much worse.

Instead of dropping Bell why don't England play him down the order

i.e: as a number 6

As a number 6 batsmen he averages 49.00 runs per innings at a strike rate of 55.97 and averages 54.41 as a number 5 at a strike rate of 51.74

As a number 3 he averages a lowly 31.93 at a strike rate of 44.99

Surely England have to see this mistake? Why not play Shah at a number 3?

England were bowled out for 318 on day two. West Indies then racked up 1/168 with Gayle and Sarwan going through the day without being troubled.

They've continued on day three and are 1/194, Sarwan is 91 not out and just scored his 5000th test run, the youngest West Indian to do so. Gayle is 86 not out. The only wicket to fall was yesterday, that wicket being Devon Smith who was out LBW to Flintoff for six. Since then it's been all West Indies, much to everyone's amazement. They are playing good cricket so far in this game.

Windies made it to 7/352 at stumps, Gayle scored 104 and Sarwan 107 before both were bowled by Broad and Flintoff respectively. Xavier Marshall was out for a duck inbetween the wickets of the centurions. Since then England have got regular wickets but the Windies now have a lead of 34 runs thanks to Brendan Nash's 47 not out.

Stuart Broad picked up three wickets, Flintoff has two with Panesar and Harmison taking one each.

Three wickets in hand so England will be looking for early wickets on day three. West Indies will be relying on Nash and the tail to try and get the lead as close as possible to 100.

lol, what a way for england to prepare for the ashes series which they have been anticapating prematurely. Well deserved win for West Indies and Well Bowled Suleman Benn and Jerome Taylor, By winning today they have at some extent got revenge for what happened 4 years ago when Harmison destroyed the windies batting line up, Now It's the other way round and they haven't been destroyed by a pacer, But a Spinner..... LOL.

hopefully this is the wakeup call that the selectors need to select the better players, shah for bell, rashid for panesar( 1 for 130 isn't good enough on a spinners paradise) and maybe harmy should be dropped for anderson, though i'd be inclined to give harmy at least another test
well bowled to taylor and benn especially, taylor just tore the order apart in the 2nd innings inspired fast bowling

We have to be careful not to make a knee jerk reaction but it is clear that changes need to be made.

Bell and Collingwood have to be on the chopping board, sadly we only have one likely replacement in the squad in Shah, so it looks like one will survive. Panesar will probably lose out to Swann (I can't see Rashid playing).

As for Harmison, then it's hard to say. Personally, I have had my doubts about him and think he should never have come back after being dropped in New Zealand. He has no passion in him and without passion a fast bowler is about as much use as chocolate fireguard.

I have a feeling that the only bowling change will be Swann coming in though, the other bowlers are safe for now.

At the moment I see parallels with the England football team, the management rely on the same trusted few and stick by them regardless. We need someone to come in, shake things up and knock the players out of this malaise they seem to be in.

Loyalty is good but you also have to know when to say enough is enough and bring in fresh blood.

Fair to the West Indies, they may not be the most talented team man for man, but they make the most of what they have. Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul are class but we knew that already. It seems that the addition of Nash has added a bit of steel to the lower order, which has been lacking in recent years.

Jury is still out on the bowling overall but the signs are promising.

Um, wow, what an insipid performance from England. Out played in all departments of the game.

England batted well in the first Innings but threw it away towards the end.

Their bowlers lacked the fire power to run through the West Indies batting. I think the England bowling needs an injection of pace; Simon Jones?

England's batting in the second innings was absolutely disastrous. Their third lowest test total overall.

West Indies on the other hand had everything going right for them. Their openers batted superbly with both of them registering century's, the lower middle order gave some resistance which was nice to see.

Their bowlers bowled within their limitations and used the pitch to maximum effect unlike the Englishmen.

Suleiman Benn I thought was the pick of the bowlers. A good find by the West Indies. Jerome Taylor had the spell of his life destroying the England batsmen in the second innings.

England need to look at other options at number 3 because Bell IMO is not up to it. He gets into the 20's and 30's only to throw away his wicket. May be drop Collingwood for Shah and make Bell bat lower in the middle order preferably number 6.

I know you can't really pinpoint a moment in the match and blame it for the rest of the game's outcome but I will have to say K.P brain fade on 97 really cost them the game. He could of batted the rest of the day out and been on 130 and England only 4 down and a good bit more runs on the board.

Well bowled to the couple of West Indian fellers, Taylor really finding his straps at International level

51, geez that's pretty bad. England's third lowest total ever. Taylor's starting to find himself at this level, maiden test ton against New Zealand and now 8 wickets in this ganme, including that devastating second innings spell.

Well done to West Indies, did enough with the bat and then Benn and Taylor just destroyed England. England need to make some hard calls on this tour, especially with the Ashes coming up.

Back