ESPN now owns cricinfo.com

C

Chandu

ESPN now owns cricinfo.com

As of few hours ago, ESPN is now the owner of cricinfo.com.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/297655.html

ESPN also own soccenet.com.

ESPN already has a cricket message board, which is very rudimentary and like a skeleton here:

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=moresports&id=cricket

Any hope that an elaborate message board like this could overlay their almost non-functional board? I remember when they bought soccenet.com, their soccer message board went from a skeleton board to an elaborate one with hierarchies. Now I agree this had nothing to do with bigsoccer.com, but one can always hope it could work with bigcricket.com.

Re: ESPN now owns cricinfo.com

Chandu;164225 said:
As of few hours ago, ESPN is now the owner of cricinfo.com.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/297655.html

ESPN also own soccenet.com.

ESPN already has a cricket message board, which is very rudimentary and like a skeleton here:

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=moresports&id=cricket

Any hope that an elaborate message board like this could overlay their almost non-functional board? I remember when they bought soccenet.com, their soccer message board went from a skeleton board to an elaborate one with hierarchies. Now I agree this had nothing to do with bigsoccer.com, but one can always hope it could work with bigcricket.com.

I just had a look at the ESPN cricket board via the link you posted and there is very little traffic at all. Just through looking at some of the threads, half of the posting members are trolls and a couple of others have no idea about the game. There seems to only be a few members (including yourself) who are knowledgeable about the game of cricket.

We are already miles in front of them in terms of progress. There are a lot more posts on this site per day than over at ESPN.

I really don't see that board taking off any time soon. Most of the members on the ESPN site would be American so their knowledge of cricket would be little to none. Most probably wouldn't even care at all. My opinion may sound harsh but it is reality and has been discussed in great detail over here.

I believe those knowledgeable/inquisitive members over at ESPN are better off joining this site. The extra members would be very much welcomed if they came over here.

Perhaps, you could spread the word, Chandu? ;)

"We are already miles in front of them in terms of progress."

Not really. ESPN decides to give attention to cricket they'll leave you far
behind
in their wake.

"I really don't see that board taking off any time soon."

If ESPN had the guts to show a few 20/20 matches to Yanks that would change...
fast!

"Most of the members on the ESPN site would be American so their knowledge of cricket would be little to none."

Huge growth potential. Better than this forum filled with dudes who think they know
the game but don't.

"Most probably wouldn't even care at all. My opinion may sound harsh but it is reality and has been discussed in great detail over here."

Reality is neither you nor anyone else on this forum has a clue what Americans
like or don't like about cricket.

"The extra members would be very much welcomed if they came over here."

Really? Just like me, huh?

Ljp86;164295 said:
I believe those knowledgeable/inquisitive members over at ESPN are better off joining this site. The extra members would be very much welcomed if they came over here.

Perhaps, you could spread the word, Chandu? ;)

I've done what I can, but cannot carry the metaphorical "cross" on my shoulders alone. I sent a message to the cricinfo.com guys (I think his name is Sambit Bhal, an Indian dude who used to be in charge of wisden.com), to take a look at ESPN's shambolic message board. I also told them about bigcricket.com and its good structure, existing poster base.

It would be absolutely fantastic if bigcricket.com ends up getting linked with cricinfo.com as an "ESPN cricket message board". With all due respect, while we have a reasonable poster base, I think traffic and number of posters here has reached plateau on its own. A linkup with cricinfo.com could end up giving incredible boost in terms of diversity of posters, traffic to this board. Now I know, what's in it for ESPN/cricinfo? Why do they need to care about this board when they've got enough resources to build one of their own? Well, this board has got a great domain-name like bigcricket tied up. And also, as I said before, good existing structure, a passionate moderator base who truly care about the sport etc. One can always dream, can't they?

I do remember I had also posted about bigcricket.com on ESPN's cricket board about a year ago. Back then I had no idea about ESPN's acquisition of cricinfo.com. But then again, who knew?

Chandu;164389 said:
I think his name is Sambit Bhal, an Indian dude who used to be in charge of wisden.com.

Sambit Bal is the name of the guy, corrected typo. I suggested to him to get in touch with BigJeff. Now it's upto him and then his new employer to show interest.

i am more than willing to enter into some sort of relationship with them.

i will see what i can do.

timmyj51;164338 said:
Not really. ESPN decides to give attention to cricket they'll leave you far behind in their wake.

We are talking about now, not what happens in the future.

Our site is miles in front of them at the moment and will be in front for a considerable amount of time.

timmyj51 said:
If ESPN had the guts to show a few 20/20 matches to Yanks that would change... fast!

What evidence do you have to suggest this would happen?

timmy51 said:
Huge growth potential. Better than this forum filled with dudes who think they know the game but don't.

Oh really? Since you've been on this site, you've shown absolutely zero knowledge about cricket.

There are quite a few knowledgeable members on BigCricket and they definitely know what they are talking about.

timmyj51 said:
Reality is neither you nor anyone else on this forum has a clue what Americans like or don't like about cricket.

Is that so? Well, I think it is pretty obvious that America does not like cricket. The USACA is a prime example of this. Their constant bumbling has almost killed the sport over there. If the majority of Americans cared about the sport, they would at least be willing to try and save the sport and get help get the USACA's act together and try and get acceptance back into the ICC.

But, guess what, they haven't and it's because the sport has little appeal to Americans over there. There wouldn't be many citizens over there that actually play or take an interest in the game. The majority of those playing the sport are expats from already established cricketing countries.

This site also has members that live in America. BigJeff, Cleazer, Chandu and Wilbix for a Canadian perspective. If I was wrong about America's attitude towards cricket then why aren't they trying to prove me wrong? Surely they'd know about cricket considering they are citizens of countries that make up part of the North American continent.

It is rather obvious that the USA has little interest in cricket.

timmy51 said:
Really? Just like me, huh?

There's a difference between constructive posting and dribbling endless crap about baseball and how America is so much better than everyone even though many have never played the game.

Many of your posts add zero to the site and are mostly trolls promoting baseball and how much better America is than everyone else. And whatever good posts that do come out are drowned out by a whole lot of rubbish and quotes from the 19th century which have little relevance to today's matters.

Perhaps if you took an serious interest in the game, people would actually take you seriously.

Chandu;164389 said:
I've done what I can, but cannot carry the metaphorical "cross" on my shoulders alone. I sent a message to the cricinfo.com guys (I think his name is Sambit Bhal, an Indian dude who used to be in charge of wisden.com), to take a look at ESPN's shambolic message board. I also told them about bigcricket.com and its good structure, existing poster base.

I've seen a few articles by Bal, he looks to be a good writer. Very good of you to e-mail him and tell him about this site. Perhaps we can get something going from it.

Chandu said:
It would be absolutely fantastic if bigcricket.com ends up getting linked with cricinfo.com as an "ESPN cricket message board". With all due respect, while we have a reasonable poster base, I think traffic and number of posters here has reached plateau on its own. A linkup with cricinfo.com could end up giving incredible boost in terms of diversity of posters, traffic to this board.

That would be awesome. If we could be affiliated with cricinfo, it would do us the world of good. Cricinfo has millions of visitors to its site and I'm sure they will all be willing to talk cricket on here. We would see an increase in visitors to this site and also an increase in members.

Chandu said:
Now I know, what's in it for ESPN/cricinfo? Why do they need to care about this board when they've got enough resources to build one of their own? Well, this board has got a great domain-name like bigcricket tied up. And also, as I said before, good existing structure, a passionate moderator base who truly care about the sport etc. One can always dream, can't they?

I do remember I had also posted about bigcricket.com on ESPN's cricket board about a year ago. Back then I had no idea about ESPN's acquisition of cricinfo.com. But then again, who knew?

It has its advantages for Cricinfo and ESPN. The domain name would be a major factor in our favour. Our poster base isn't too bad, we have quite a few members who visit very regularly as well as occasional posters and of course, there's us mods and admin who are dedicated to the site. It wouldn't be a bad prospect for ESPN and Cricinfo to consider.

It would be very interesting to see if we can link up with them. It would be a major benefit for us and fantastic prospect to be a part of.

Ljp86 said:
Is that so? Well, I think it is pretty obvious that America does not like cricket. The USACA is a prime example of this. Their constant bumbling has almost killed the sport over there. If the majority of Americans cared about the sport, they would at least be willing to try and save the sport and get help get the USACA's act together and try and get acceptance back into the ICC.

But, guess what, they haven't and it's because the sport has little appeal to Americans over there. There wouldn't be many citizens over there that actually play or take an interest in the game. The majority of those playing the sport are expats from already established cricketing countries.

This site also has members that live in America. BigJeff, Cleazer, Chandu and Wilbix for a Canadian perspective. If I was wrong about America's attitude towards cricket then why aren't they trying to prove me wrong? Surely they'd know about cricket considering they are citizens of countries that make up part of the North American continent.

It is rather obvious that the USA has little interest in cricket.

wrong on a couple of points there.

firstly- the USACA is the american cricket fan are two totally different things. the USACA Board have not been acting in the best interest of its members and its fans in the USA.

Regional Directors have tried to abolish the board and create a new constitution. the 'rebels' and the Board led by President Dainty have been at heads for about 3 years. The president lost the last election some years ago, and since tried to rewrite the rules to make sure he gets re-elected (thats my opninion).

USA cricket has had a long list of great ideas, with terrible implimentation. MLC, ProCricket, & and the $ the ICC tried to give all failed for one reason or another.

Now to your other point 'If the majority of Americans cared about the sport', well you see, its sort of like how soccer is here, but much much much worse. Soccer is the worlds sport, we have a league thats been around for 10+ years (a better league than the Aussie A-League btw :D ) and millions spent on promoting but the old, ignorant USA sports media with the gridiron and baseball fans resisting and every corner they can. Soccer has come a long way.

But as for cricket, its a small sport that isn't only expats- there are many first, second and third generation AMERICANS playing. yes, they are americans. Cricket will never be anywhere compared to the other major sports for many many years, but that being said, it still has great potential to serve the large amount of expats and citizens living here.

thats if the USACA would onyl get its act together and if the ICC actually stepped in instead of just banning the USA from events.

I'm of the opinion that the only way cricket could become popular in USA would be with Twenty20. And no, it has nothing to do with baseball players as a poster here thinks.

I know ESPN International acquiring cricinfo.com is completely unrelated to TV coverage on American ESPN. But if at sometome in the future ESPN TV in USA ever decided to do any cricket coverage, it would have to be Twenty20.

BigJeff;164598 said:
firstly- the USACA is the american cricket fan are two totally different things. the USACA Board have not been acting in the best interest of its members and its fans in the USA.

Regional Directors have tried to abolish the board and create a new constitution. the 'rebels' and the Board led by President Dainty have been at heads for about 3 years. The president lost the last election some years ago, and since tried to rewrite the rules to make sure he gets re-elected (thats my opninion).

How come it has taken so long to overthrow this board? Surely, there would be a bit of desperation in order to get USA cricket up and running as soon as possible.

BigJeff said:
USA cricket has had a long list of great ideas, with terrible implimentation. MLC, ProCricket, & and the $ the ICC tried to give all failed for one reason or another.

All relatively good ideas. It's a shame the USACA is so imcompetent, perhaps at least one of these ideas would be close to fruition by now.

BigJeff said:
Now to your other point 'If the majority of Americans cared about the sport', well you see, its sort of like how soccer is here, but much much much worse. Soccer is the worlds sport, we have a league thats been around for 10+ years (a better league than the Aussie A-League btw :D ) and millions spent on promoting but the old, ignorant USA sports media with the gridiron and baseball fans resisting and every corner they can. Soccer has come a long way.

I hate soccer. Crap sport.

BigJeff said:
But as for cricket, its a small sport that isn't only expats- there are many first, second and third generation AMERICANS playing. yes, they are americans. Cricket will never be anywhere compared to the other major sports for many many years, but that being said, it still has great potential to serve the large amount of expats and citizens living here.

thats if the USACA would onyl get its act together and if the ICC actually stepped in instead of just banning the USA from events.

That is good to see. It seems USA cricket is slightly more advanced that what I originally thought. At least a few born and bred Americans are playing the great sport that is cricket.

But yes, the USACA needs to pull its finger out and get cracking on reviving the sport.

Chandu;164605 said:
I'm of the opinion that the only way cricket could become popular in USA would be with Twenty20. And no, it has nothing to do with baseball players as a poster here thinks.

I know ESPN International acquiring cricinfo.com is completely unrelated to TV coverage on American ESPN. But if at sometome in the future ESPN TV in USA ever decided to do any cricket coverage, it would have to be Twenty20.
i'm sure more people would watch a Twenty20 match then billiards!

Ljp86;164655 said:
I hate soccer. Crap sport.

Sorry mate, but don't let your personal bias get in the way of reality, which is how a businessman would approach it too. As Jeff said, many in American mainstream media think exactly as you do. But it doesn't matter. That sport is slowly and steadily holding its footprint in USA.

It will never become a mainstream American sport and doesn't need to be. Similarly it will never become a mainstream sport in Australia and doesn't need to be. But having observed progress of A-League for a very short duration, I think it is making fantastic progress over there as well. I was envious of the incredible support World Cup qualifiers, World Cup matches as well as A-League Grand Final got in Australia.

One thing I found different between mainstream media in USA and Australia. Even though soccer is not a favorite sport in both countries, it's rare to hear of outright hostility towards it in mainstream Australian media. You still hear of hostility (sometimes it's not even based on valid points and approaches juvenile attacks) towards soccer in mainstream American media.

Chandu;164770 said:
Sorry mate, but don't let your personal bias get in the way of reality, which is how a businessman would approach it too. As Jeff said, many in American mainstream media think exactly as you do. But it doesn't matter. That sport is slowly and steadily holding its footprint in USA.

I have hated soccer for a long time. I have no time for the sport at all.

Chandu said:
Similarly it will never become a mainstream sport in Australia and doesn't need to be.

God, I hope not.

Chandu said:
One thing I found different between mainstream media in USA and Australia. Even though soccer is not a favorite sport in both countries, it's rare to hear of outright hostility towards it in mainstream Australian media. You still hear of hostility (sometimes it's not even based on valid points and approaches juvenile attacks) towards soccer in mainstream American media.

It's mostly because not a lot of people care. I don't know anyone personally who actively follows the team we have in Perth here (Perth Glory). The sport has limited coverage on TV, mostly because it is televised on Pay TV. About 20-25% of Australians have Pay TV so three quarters of the population aren't seeing the games to start with. The free-to-air stations may show a couple of highlights and the scores of the Perth game but that's about it.

The Glory's support has steadily dropped for the last couple of years even though the team has been rather successful. Crowd numbers have fallen and the interest for the side has waned quite a bit. However, the teams in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney have a large following although many of those supporters are of foreign decent.

You'll find that the majority of the supporters of soccer sides here are not born and bred Australians. From my personal experiences, many soccer fans here are mostly English or have a European background.

Anyway, I don't like the sport and don't have any time for it. I don't see how so many people can like the game, it's so boring and the players are soft as butter.

Lacrosse is rapidly becoming a huge sport in the US, especially at the youth level. Soccer is losing youths to Lacrosse big time. The only reason is because of adult volunteers who are giving the time and effort.. These are most of the time educated adults with connections who can get things done within the town or state they live in. Lacrosse is a sport that was totally a grassroots effort and Cricket should follow this example. It certainly doesn't hurt that the sport is exciting and fast paced. The Professional Lacrosse league in the US is consistently gaining attendance game after game, year after year and Adult Leagues are constantly being formed in the US. Unless adults get involved at the youth level and the US adopts the 20/Twenty format, Cricket is doomed.

Well, I don't know. Keep in mind lacrosse is mostly an East Coast thing, swami. Also I think lacrosse (at least boys' lacrosse) attracts a slightly different type of athlete.

Ljp86;164790 said:
I have hated soccer for a long time. I have no time for the sport at all.

God, I hope not.

It's mostly because not a lot of people care. I don't know anyone personally who actively follows the team we have in Perth here (Perth Glory). The sport has limited coverage on TV, mostly because it is televised on Pay TV. About 20-25% of Australians have Pay TV so three quarters of the population aren't seeing the games to start with. The free-to-air stations may show a couple of highlights and the scores of the Perth game but that's about it.

The Glory's support has steadily dropped for the last couple of years even though the team has been rather successful. Crowd numbers have fallen and the interest for the side has waned quite a bit. However, the teams in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney have a large following although many of those supporters are of foreign decent.

You'll find that the majority of the supporters of soccer sides here are not born and bred Australians. From my personal experiences, many soccer fans here are mostly English or have a European background.

Anyway, I don't like the sport and don't have any time for it. I don't see how so many people can like the game, it's so boring and the players are soft as butter.

Not true.

I've been to stacks of soccer games with my mates, mum and different families. And we are born & bred Aussies.

Massive Generalization.
Just like the generalization the media have that everyone who goes to the soccer has a flare on them !!

Sure, you don't like the sport. But it's personal bias.

You say that you don't know anyone personally that attends Perth Glory matches, yet then you know from personal experience that is mainly attended by ex pats. Contradiction much !!

Have you been to a soccer game Ljp ? Played in one ?

Younginator;166818 said:
Not true.

I've been to stacks of soccer games with my mates, mum and different families. And we are born & bred Aussies.

Massive Generalization.
Just like the generalization the media have that everyone who goes to the soccer has a flare on them !!

Well, when you have racial conflicts involving players and the crowds and then having crowd members throw objects (including flares) onto the field it doesn't exactly help the sport's reputation does it?

Younginator said:
Sure, you don't like the sport. But it's personal bias.

You say that you don't know anyone personally that attends Perth Glory matches, yet then you know from personal experience that is mainly attended by ex pats. Contradiction much !!

I don't know anyone who regularly attends Perth Glory matches, I should have made that more clear in my previous posts.

A couple of my friends go to a Glory game every now and then. They are both English even though they have lived in Australia for most of their lives. They still consider themselves to be English. From their own experiences, I've been told that much of the crowd tends to be European, that includes a lot of English, Scottish and Irish supporters as well as some Greek and Italian fans.

Younginator said:
Have you been to a soccer game Ljp ?

Nope, I don't intend to.

I've been dragged along by friends to watch a couple of soccer games on TV at a local pub. I found it boring.

Younginator said:
Played in one ?

Yes, when I was at high school in Phys Ed. Most of us didn't want to play but we had to because it was a part of the curriculum.

I don't like the sport. I find it boring and uninteresting.

Back