here's your chance, ICC

Re: here's your chance, ICC

"um, not really. There are precious few who can throw it at 100+ mph."

Yes, really. Have high school pitchers who can throw 100mph.

A few observations:

In baseball, virtually every Major League pitcher is the equivalent of a fast bowler, since they all throw a fastball hitting at least the high 80s or low 90s (in miles per hour). A rare exception to this rule would be a pitcher like Tim Wakefield, whose stock pitch, the knuckleball, is much slower and flutters unpredictably as a result of being released with almost no spin. Wakefield's fastball probably reaches the mid 80s if he's lucky.

Of course, in cricket, very few bowlers dominate through sheer pace, relying on line and length, seam movement, bounce, or swing. It is the same in baseball, with many pitchers being successful through good control, a nasty breaking ball (such as a curveball or slider), or a great change-up (the baseball equivalent of a slower ball). While fastballs don't move as much as breaking balls, some pitchers have multiple fastballs in their arsenal, varying how they hold the seam and with how many fingers, and can cause the ball to tail away in a particular direction (for example, a split-fingered fastball is supposed to dip towards the ground as it reaches home plate, causing the batter to swing over the top of it).

From what I've seen of both sports, a major leaguer generally gets the ball going a couple of miles per hour faster than a fast bowler does. There are probably a handful of guys in the major leagues who can hit 100 mph, though I have never heard of a high-school pitcher doing that. I have not heard of any currently active bowlers breaking 100 mph except for Shoaib Akhtar and Brett Lee; as far as I know, Malinga, Bond, Harmison, Ntini, etc. can't bowl that fast. If this Allan Wise character could bowl that fast, I think I would have heard about him already, since it was kind of a big deal when Lee and Shoaib did it.

Stamislav;127255 said:
If this Allan Wise character could bowl that fast, I think I would have heard about him already, since it was kind of a big deal when Lee and Shoaib did it.

If Allan Wise could bowl that fast? There are plenty of bowlers around, this country anyway, who can bowl that fast but will never see the light of day in the Australian team. Off the top of my head I could have added Wayne Holdsworth, Gerard Denton, Glenn Rofe, David Saker and Matthew Inness who could all bowl 144 kph+ yet were never going to play for Australia. In fact Inness took 6/26 against the West Indies in a tour match, but was never a realistic chance for the international squad.

Stamislav;127255 said:
From what I've seen of both sports, a major leaguer generally gets the ball going a couple of miles per hour faster than a fast bowler does.

Yes well it tends to happen when they're afforded the luxury of being able to actually throw the ball. I'll give you a comparative example. If the Australian allrounder Andrew Symonds were to take up baseball, he'd break the 100mph barrier and on a regular basis. As a bowler he is fiery at best, but nowhere near sheer pace. In fact relies a lot on his offies as well as his medium pacers. But his throwing arm is the most deadliest in world cricket.

"There are plenty of bowlers around, this country anyway, who can bowl that fast..."

Really? Didn't know there were 100 mph bowlers behind every
rock and tree in Australia (or do they time 'em bowling
down hill with a howling wind at their backs?). If
all these 100mph dudes can't break into first class
cricket maybe they should contact Major League baseball.
Anyone who can ACTUALLY throw that fast
will get plenty of attention from baseball scouts.

You will not convert current baseballer's to cricket players, the AFL has tried it in sydney and it dosent work it has to be done at a very young age. But i do think you can convert america but its gona need a lot of money, time and effort like a twenty year plan but it looks more like the ICC has turned its attention to China. you cant put last nights game in the USA and expect them to convert over night.

Langarne;127276 said:
If Allan Wise could bowl that fast? There are plenty of bowlers around, this country anyway, who can bowl that fast but will never see the light of day in the Australian team. Off the top of my head I could have added Wayne Holdsworth, Gerard Denton, Glenn Rofe, David Saker and Matthew Inness who could all bowl 144 kph+ yet were never going to play for Australia. In fact Inness took 6/26 against the West Indies in a tour match, but was never a realistic chance for the international squad.

144 kph is only about 89.48 miles per hour. 100 mph = 160.93 kph. Like I said before, I don't know of any active cricketers besides Shoaib and Lee who can bowl that fast.

Langarne said:
Yes well it tends to happen when they're afforded the luxury of being able to actually throw the ball. I'll give you a comparative example. If the Australian allrounder Andrew Symonds were to take up baseball, he'd break the 100mph barrier and on a regular basis. As a bowler he is fiery at best, but nowhere near sheer pace. In fact relies a lot on his offies as well as his medium pacers. But his throwing arm is the most deadliest in world cricket.

I'm not trying to malign cricket because fast bowlers can't bowl quite as fast as pitchers can throw; I'm just pointing out a fact. I'm fully aware of how different the motions are and how they put different limitations on what the body can do. But as for your point about Andrew Symonds, he's a tremendous athlete, but we have position players (i.e., non-pitchers) with arms just as strong as Symonds' is, and I'm pretty sure they don't throw the ball 100 mph.
The mechanics of throwing the ball out in the field is basically the same in both sports, but pitching is somewhat different because of the way the pitcher winds up and pushes off with their legs. Would Symonds have the ability to make a good baseball player? Absolutely. However, it's impossible to say for sure if he would be able to pitch the ball at 100 mph.

It is the same in baseball, with many pitchers being successful through good control, a nasty breaking ball (such as a curveball or slider), or a great change-up (the baseball equivalent of a slower ball).

I agree. Control and strategy are key in making a great baseball pitcher, not just 100mph fastballs. As I am sure it is the same way in cricket. Training Major League Baseball players to play cricket will take quite a bit of time, especially pitchers because they will have to condition there arms to throw the ball like a bowler. Hitting the ball and fielding the ball should not be much of a problem as it is much the same in each sport. As a matter of fact, I think hitting the ball will be a lot easier for baseballers, considering the bat is a lot wider in cricket than it is in baseball and I believe the baseball is smaller in size than a cricket ball. Here's a great website which compares the two sports:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_cricket_and_baseball

timmyj51;127294 said:
Really? Didn't know there were 100 mph bowlers behind every
rock and tree in Australia(or do they time 'em bowling
down hill with a howling wind at their backs?).
Firstly, I never said anything about 100mph, thats a statistic you yanks are going on about. As I said, no baseball pitcher would ever bowl a cricket ball that fast. Unless of course they have some magician like robotic people over there with alien like fast twitch muscles the rest of the world doesn't know about. The only bowler to reach that pace was Jeff Thomson, and that was once, although Shaun Tait does get up to 158kph. Also, Secondly, your sarcasm is below par.

If
all these 100mph dudes can't break into first class
cricket maybe they should contact Major League baseball.
Anyone who can ACTUALLY throw that fast
will get plenty of attention from baseball scouts.

Well if you can get MLB to get in touch with the VCA I'm sure they'd oblige. Besides some of these guys are never going to play for Australia, may as well try something where their talents will be useful elsewhere. Although, we're not talking throwing, we're talking bowling. And as I said about pitchers taking up cricket, their entire action would have to be resructured.

Stamislav;127305 said:
144 kph is only about 89.48 miles per hour. 100 mph = 160.93 kph. Like I said before, I don't know of any active cricketers besides Shoaib and Lee who can bowl that fast.
Shaun Tait who will be coming into the Australian test side in the near future gets the ball up around 158kph, and swings it both ways. Will be a lethal weapon when he gets settled in.

I'm not trying to malign cricket because fast bowlers can't bowl quite as fast as pitchers can throw; I'm just pointing out a fact. I'm fully aware of how different the motions are and how they put different limitations on what the body can do.
I'm not disagreeing with that. It would be stupidity to anyway given that it's quite obvious that nobody would be able to bowl a ball as fast as they can throw it. My point is that it's a bit easier to stand there and with one jolt fire a ball in as oppposed to having to bowl a ball at similar pace while hitting the right length, producing a little "late" away swing and doing it over 22 metres 90 times in a day.
But as for your point about Andrew Symonds, he's a tremendous athlete, but we have position players (i.e., non-pitchers) with arms just as strong as Symonds' is, and I'm pretty sure they don't throw the ball 100 mph.
Symonds ran out Imran Farhart with a direct hit from about 10 metres in from the boundary a few years back in a touch over 2 seconds. Would have to have been at least 55-60 metres away. Now I don't know what that measure out to in mph, but it's bloody fast.

timmyj51;127238 said:
"um, not really. There are precious few who can throw it at 100+ mph."

Yes, really. Have high school pitchers who can throw 100mph.
um no, there aren't many high school pitchers who canthrow over 100 mph, if ANY. there aren't even that many pitchers in MLB who can throw over 100 mph

Excellent debate gents without getting to nasty on each other. Since I threw out the 100mph comment, I must admit I did it overzealously and after reading all the feedback I realize that i could have toned it down a bit. Now, after some thinking, I still stand extremely firm that the USA does have the capability \talent to produce a top lever team that could compete with the full members of the ICC. The only thing that is required and is extremely lacking in the US is the guidance and training to produce such a team.

theswami;127442 said:
Excellent debate gents without getting to nasty on each other. Since I threw out the 100mph comment, I must admit I did it overzealously and after reading all the feedback I realize that i could have toned it down a bit. Now, after some thinking, I still stand extremely firm that the USA does have the capability \talent to produce a top lever team that could compete with the full members of the ICC. The only thing that is required and is extremely lacking in the US is the guidance and training to produce such a team.
i think the US can produce a good team, they just need the funding and the time!

Back