Michael Clarke

Re: Michael Clarke

What a great knock by pup, if it wasn't for him our total would of been very sad indeed. Hope he is our next captain.

Sure he rode his luck yesterday, but he concentrated well, and has a current test average of 45.6. You can call him a dud if you ignore the facts! ;)

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Michael Clarke

52909.jpg

JAMSTER;282276 said:
Absolute Dud.How anyone could seriously be contemplating him as an Australian captain is beyond me.Goes missing when Australia needs him, ie first innings.Hussey is easily next in line for the captaincy and how Hodge has not been promoted ahead of Clarke is a joke.

Yep, that 98 when the chips were down was complete rubbish. We would have been better off without it :rolleyes:

He's got 3 centuries this year. About 3 or 4 batsmen have 4 centuries which is the most for this year. He averages 45 ffs.

Interesting couple of news articles on Clarke today.......

Australian vice-captain Michael Clarke says his dressing room altercation with Test teammate Simon Katich is not a sign of any team disharmony.

Katich reportedly grabbed Clarke by the throat on the night Australia won last month's Sydney Test against South Africa, angered that Clarke wanted to leave before joining in the traditional team song, Under the Southern Cross.

But Clarke said on Friday the spat was quickly sorted out and there were no lingering ill feelings.

Clarke is believed to have wanted the team song sung earlier than it was after the Sydney Test, so he could attend drinks with his fiancee, model Lara Bingle, and other friends.

Katich grabs Clarke by the throat - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

MICHAEL Clarke is unable to mask his ambition to captain Australia. He wants the job too much - which by definition questions his right when the time comes.

His altercation with Simon Katich in the SCG dressingroom, reported on the back of today's newspaper, is the latest incident that questions his credentials for the job.

The Australian team is fracturing because of ongoing catfights among wives and girlfriends.

A blue between wives and girlfriends on the 2005 Ashes tour splintered team harmony, the unspoken undercurrent to Australia's stunning series loss.

In India this summer, a tour when Australia needed its vice-captain to get in and help pull the team up, rumblings instead went around about Clarke's absence.

He was having prolonged breakfasts and lunches with Bingle. Missing In Action.

He spent the night at the Allan Border Medal kissing Bingle like a lovestruck teenager.

His distraction highlights his immaturity for the captaincy job, and the fact it is coming at the cost of performance exacerbates it.

So his disrespect for team protocol following the SCG Test, to hurry up the celebration so that he could leave and join his girlfriend, has angered many.

Clarke is media-savvy, with the cool looks and the hot girlfriend, the tattoos, the slick image and flash car.

Together, the package is near-perfect for the job. Yet what he doesn't have is the man.

Former Test captains are openly appalled by Clarke's desire for Ricky Ponting's job.

They believe it is disloyal to Ponting, some even believing he should be sacked as vice-captain because of it.

After a particularly long day in the field against South Africa in Melbourne, for instance, he was asked why Australia didn't bowl Katich.

"Ask the captain," he said, "I don't make the bowling changes."

A weak-willed response, it was seen by former greats as a deliberate affront to Ponting.

Michael Clarke is not up to the job he wants so much | The Daily Telegraph

el-capitano;322054 said:

I'm sorry, but that's an incredibly shit article. The journo makes claims like "former Test captains are openly appalled" by Clarke's desire to captain his side, but fails to give a single quote or example to support this. He quotes Clarke saying "Ask the captain, I don't make the bowling changes" in regards to why Katich didn't bowl, and states as if it was as obvious as the sky being blue that it was a "weak-willed response" and "seen by former greats as a deliberate affront to Ponting" (once again, no quotes). All this from what I think is quite a reasonable response to a stupid question. Why would Clarke know all the ins and outs of the bowling plans?

I've also never heard Clarke himself say "I want Ponting's job". I don't know where he has got this idea from that Clarke is telling everybody and everyone that he wants Ponting booted from the job and himself promoted. Don't get me wrong, he probably does want that. Who wouldn't want to be captain of the Australian cricket team, especially when you've already been touted as the next one? The point is that he's still perfectly respectful to Ponting, and yet this Paul Kent bloke seems to think that he's not.

And suddenly it's against team rules to kiss your fiancée at the Allan Border medal presentation?

Actually one of the worst sports articles I've ever read. This post went for longer than I expected, but it just pisses me off when tripe like that is allowed to be published. And ****, I don't even consider myself a particularly big fan of Pup as a captain.

BabyBlues;322490 said:
I'm sorry, but that's an incredibly shit article. The journo makes claims like "former Test captains are openly appalled" by Clarke's desire to captain his side, but fails to give a single quote or example to support this. He quotes Clarke saying "Ask the captain, I don't make the bowling changes" in regards to why Katich didn't bowl, and states as if it was as obvious as the sky being blue that it was a "weak-willed response" and "seen by former greats as a deliberate affront to Ponting" (once again, no quotes). All this from what I think is quite a reasonable response to a stupid question. Why would Clarke know all the ins and outs of the bowling plans?

I've also never heard Clarke himself say "I want Ponting's job". I don't know where he has got this idea from that Clarke is telling everybody and everyone that he wants Ponting booted from the job and himself promoted. Don't get me wrong, he probably does want that. Who wouldn't want to be captain of the Australian cricket team, especially when you've already been touted as the next one? The point is that he's still perfectly respectful to Ponting, and yet this Paul Kent bloke seems to think that he's not.

And suddenly it's against team rules to kiss your fiancée at the Allan Border medal presentation?

Actually one of the worst sports articles I've ever read. This post went for longer than I expected, but it just pisses me off when tripe like that is allowed to be published. And ****, I don't even consider myself a particularly big fan of Pup as a captain.

@|

Top post. I'd go further than that and say Pup is a great captain and has been a loyal, faithful vice-captain and doesn't want Ponting gone at all, but I'm a very big fan of him and so would be biased. :p

Love him or hate him, it's all water off a Pup's back - Cricket - Sport

MICHAEL CLARKE has critics. He couldn't care less.

Some have portrayed Clarke as the villain after his scuffle with Simon Katich following the SCG Test. In truth, neither was the villain; neither was blameless. But the criticism of Clarke became personal. He was too cosy with his partner at the Allan Border Medal presentation night. He was somehow secretly plotting to take the captaincy off Ricky Ponting. A portrait was painted of a selfish player who didn't understand the team mentality. A radio broadcaster criticised Clarke for driving a swish car during an economic crisis.

"If I'm praised or if I'm criticised, it's my job to try to keep going," Clarke said. " I'm paid to play cricket for Australia, and I take that seriously .

"Some people are going to like me and some people aren't, I guess. Katto and I, we don't know how many times we have to say it - we're fine. I'm looking forward to spending as much time as I can in the middle with him because he's batting absolutely brilliantly at the moment."

The knockers went quiet when Clarke was the only Australian batsman to thwart South Africa's pace battery. He averaged 76.6 while all others fell below 50. They remained silent when Ponting revealed it was Clarke who pushed for the Australian team to visit the survivors of the Victorian bushfires. They didn't say boo when he won his second Allan Border Medal; they stayed mum about his rise to No.3 on the world Test batting rankings.

Clarke does not fit the stereotype. He eats carefully. He doesn't like beer. These are not the crimes of the century.

"I don't drink beer, I've never drunk beer in my life," he said. "I don't feel uncomfortable about it at all. If all the boys are having a beer, I can have a glass of wine, whatever. Have a soft drink. We're all very different. But I think that's a strength of the Australian cricket team, that you allow everyone to be different people. You can't change a person and you shouldn't try to.

Back