Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

the chief;233415 said:
hey men,
found out big news on the weekend, looks like the rangers will be flag favourites with a couple of massive signings.
yacks mark purtell and norths dan markham have agreed terms with the club, couple of handy pickups, there might be a couple of more on the way!

Is that Baranduda Rangers or do u mean The Rangas?

Belvoir Cricket Club are the latest club to be on the lookout for a new coach.
After publicly stating they were on the front foot with an early appointment the club now finds itself firmly on the back foot.
Wonder if the stepping down of Athainitis will be a Border Mail article and pumped on Local TV like the appointment was.
looks like Micheal Spiteri will be the man again.
Good luck there AWOT.@|

so belvoir big signing has already left.well it is harder and harder to get players.
just wondering with the raiders/warriors things if new players arrive at the club who gets them????? i think it will be a good marriage for both clubs.

big guys don't run;233798 said:
so belvoir big signing has already left.well it is harder and harder to get players.
just wondering with the raiders/warriors things if new players arrive at the club who gets them????? i think it will be a good marriage for both clubs.

Apparently Hamish & Andy have finally got "Hey Dad" the musical up and running and Belvoir's coach has to reprise his role as the fat kid from next door. Unfortunate for Belvoir but great for his career.

So who are the big signings? Are you talking about Purtell and Markham?? All that does is add a bit of depth to their batting and some variety to the bowling.
Markham is no world beater just because he's exhausted the patience of every Provincial club in the comp, now he's trying his hand in the District comp. FRom what i've been reading there is a lot of talk about the District Comp side of things and it's as if the gap between the 2 is really big. Just because they pasted the District sides in the one-day comp dosen't mean they should be put up on any sort of pedestal. The only diference in the 2 comps is the depth of batting talent and the attitude of the District batsmen at the crease. The gap is not that great

yeah mate,
i am pretty sure no club would want to sign purtell and markham,i dont think they would struggle getting a side to flag contentions,i heard markham has signed for albury which i no for a fact,i think it would be to far for him to travell to that bush shit and not enough money,its not man united,and for purtell,still the best in the comp by a mile,until these 2nd division sides realise they will never compete with provicial,stay out there with the sheep and the cows?

the chief;234085 said:
yeah mate,
i am pretty sure no club would want to sign purtell and markham,i dont think they would struggle getting a side to flag contentions,i heard markham has signed for albury which i no for a fact,i think it would be to far for him to travell to that bush shit and not enough money,its not man united,and for purtell,still the best in the comp by a mile,until these 2nd division sides realise they will never compete with provicial,stay out there with the sheep and the cows?

shit eh i didnt realise the provincial comp was in the big smoke....... pretty big bloody city. go through alot of the clubs and find out where alot of guys were born or raised mate. we have our cows n sheep u can have your barbie dolls and care bears

carlosboozer;234043 said:
So who are the big signings? Are you talking about Purtell and Markham?? All that does is add a bit of depth to their batting and some variety to the bowling.
Markham is no world beater just because he's exhausted the patience of every Provincial club in the comp, now he's trying his hand in the District comp. FRom what i've been reading there is a lot of talk about the District Comp side of things and it's as if the gap between the 2 is really big. Just because they pasted the District sides in the one-day comp dosen't mean they should be put up on any sort of pedestal. The only diference in the 2 comps is the depth of batting talent and the attitude of the District batsmen at the crease. The gap is not that great

After playing in both comps over the past few years I personally think the gap between the two comps is a hell of a lot bigger than some people on here think.

The biggest difference is the depth of talent. Most of the District teams have two or three (some only one) players that would be able to score runs or take wickets consistently in Provincial. The top players in District don't come close to the top players in Provincial. This is why I think the District teams that get promoted will struggle to stay in the top division and I also think this is why so many of Yack's players are changing clubs. They would rather be a big fish in a little pond than get shown up by the better players in Provincial.

Someone rated Mark Purtell as easily the best player in District. I think if you put him into the North Albury or Lavington sides he probably wouldn't be in their best six or seven players. I certainly wouldn't rate him ahead of the likes of Greg Daniel, Rhys Jones, David Farrell, Steve Wright, James Tonkin or the Baker boys.

The one day comp last year showed how big the gap is with only one Provincial team losing in the first round (and from memory Lavington lost with Steve Wright and James Tonkin not playing). Belvoir and Mt Beauty showed last year that they could compete with the lower Provincial clubs if their best players all performed but they were no match for the stronger teams.

I'm not "putting the Provincial clubs on a pedestal", I'm just giving credit where credit's due. At this stage I believe the Provincial comp is a long way ahead.

Well maybe the promoted teams from District might not be able to quite match the top 3 or 4 sides from Provincial, containing the lists of players that you have previously mentioned. But the bottom 4 in Provincial drops away a bit too, they aren't all fantastic teams with loads of talent. The "gap" is only a matter of opinion and personally i think it is a bit closer than the grand canyon

carlosboozer;234190 said:
Well maybe the promoted teams from District might not be able to quite match the top 3 or 4 sides from Provincial, containing the lists of players that you have previously mentioned. But the bottom 4 in Provincial drops away a bit too, they aren't all fantastic teams with loads of talent. The "gap" is only a matter of opinion and personally i think it is a bit closer than the grand canyon

having played both comps as well, i have to agree with carlosboozer.
yes there is a gap between provincal and district, but as there should be.
district clubs have never had the coaching or faclities to match it with the so called "city" clubs, but as you look through all the provincal sides i would think that at the very least half of every clubs "A" grade teams are made up of players from the district clubs, whether they come from the old WDCA, HUME or HOLBROOK comps they learnt the game playing in these country clubs.
it must be a great feeling for the batsmen in provincal to know 9 out of 10 times(about 5/ 10 if they are at bilson) they are walking out to bat on absolute roads. which is the biggest difference between provincal and district.
:cool:

Agreed. If the District wickets can become more "batsman friendly" then we might see more of a balance between the 2 competitions. The best bowlers in the Distric comp are right up there on a par with the Provincial bowlers, it's the batsmen that are not quite as good and that's partly due to the decks that they play on. Dosen't give you much confidence when you have to bat on underprepared dogtracks week after week. But could be due to the lack of curating facilities at these grounds. Maybe CAW could look at that as a future project

carlosboozer;234293 said:
Agreed. If the District wickets can become more "batsman friendly" then we might see more of a balance between the 2 competitions. The best bowlers in the Distric comp are right up there on a par with the Provincial bowlers, it's the batsmen that are not quite as good and that's partly due to the decks that they play on. Dosen't give you much confidence when you have to bat on underprepared dogtracks week after week. But could be due to the lack of curating facilities at these grounds. Maybe CAW could look at that as a future project

if CAW gave all the clubs the water tanks that were promised to them, im sure the extra water that would of now been in those tanks would go along way towards helping prepare the decks. i pretty sure all the so called "city" clubs got there hands on those tanks, pity about the clubs that need them the most missed out.

Andy Norling to Kiewa. The Rangas brown paper bag is obviously bigger than the rest of the district clubs as there is a strong 'rumour' (if you can call it that) that Mark Purtell will play up at the goat track. That will do wonders for there avg playing age. All the best to the 2 guys set to play for Yack against the provincial sides. Although they may struggle as i believe you need a minimum of 7 players to field a side. ;)

skippy;234438 said:
Andy Norling to Kiewa. The Rangas brown paper bag is obviously bigger than the rest of the district clubs as there is a strong 'rumour' (if you can call it that) that Mark Purtell will play up at the goat track. That will do wonders for there avg playing age. All the best to the 2 guys set to play for Yack against the provincial sides. Although they may struggle as i believe you need a minimum of 7 players to field a side. ;)

It is about the time of year when "rumours" start isnt it Skippy.
But then again this wouldnt be such a wonderful site if it wasnt full of them.

just scrolling back through, and i have to say having been away since february i dont pretend to know anything about who is going where, but if warren marmo were to go to north albury and think he were to do well he would have to be kidding himself (and knowing his ego, he will be believing he will score a thousand runs should he go). I'm not saying he is a bad cricketer but he is one of the more over rated players in the district comp... just put a spinner of any varying degree of talent on and you will get him in two overs.

having said that the difference in standard between provincial and district isnt that big, the only difference is each provincial side might have one or two players who are a cut above all the other players in caw, district and provincial. you look at guys like dave farrell and castello at north, or peterson when he was at east (again dont have an idea where he will be this year), there the players that make the difference, the rest are all pretty similar.

mind you, watch the district batsmen if they get started in the border express cup- there scores will double if they get a start on a decent wicket

Batsmen- Josh Lee
Bowler- Richard Harvey
Allrounder- Rohan Pearce
hardest hitter- Kel Bailey
underrated player- Jarred Murphy
overrated player- Joshua Warren Marmo/ Julian Day/ Duane Shliebs
player to watch- Jarred Murphy

old hand;234443 said:
just scrolling back through, and i have to say having been away since february i dont pretend to know anything about who is going where, but if warren marmo were to go to north albury and think he were to do well he would have to be kidding himself (and knowing his ego, he will be believing he will score a thousand runs should he go). I'm not saying he is a bad cricketer but he is one of the more over rated players in the district comp... just put a spinner of any varying degree of talent on and you will get him in two overs.

having said that the difference in standard between provincial and district isnt that big, the only difference is each provincial side might have one or two players who are a cut above all the other players in caw, district and provincial. you look at guys like dave farrell and castello at north, or peterson when he was at east (again dont have an idea where he will be this year), there the players that make the difference, the rest are all pretty similar.

mind you, watch the district batsmen if they get started in the border express cup- there scores will double if they get a start on a decent wicket

Batsmen- Josh Lee
Bowler- Richard Harvey
Allrounder- Rohan Pearce

well speaking of the BEX cup if it changes to a 20/20 format look for a few 2nd's players that can go hard to get a game. Jaz Murphy is a gun. once the confidence flows so will the runs.

KiewaOriginal;234580 said:
well speaking of the BEX cup if it changes to a 20/20 format look for a few 2nd's players that can go hard to get a game. Jaz Murphy is a gun. once the confidence flows so will the runs.

the young fella goes alright but he is certainly not a gun,he wouldnt bat in the top 5 or 6 in a decent side.

Thank ******** i finally got a mention, but if you're gonna mention me you moron you could at least spell my name right.

old hand;234443 said:

Batsmen- Josh Lee
Bowler- Richard Harvey
Allrounder- Rohan Pearce

first of all if you are thinking dederang is one of the top sides that he wouldnt get a bat in, that is an absolute joke. there full of names who are out to play for themselves and not the team. on the topic of BEC though, i really hope it doesnt go to 20/20, im just one of the guys who doesnt really think of it as a proper game of cricket thats all, 50 overs works fine.

watch out for baranduda this year to, i saw a few people were writing them off as an old side, but you look at guys theyve got coming through in nathanieal dudley, rohan pearce, andrew russell (although not as young as the others), aaron morrison, kane smillie (can turn the ball a mile but is subject to commitment and team make up issues im told)... there is some talent there. andrew russell is the only one in that list over 19 but he is more than capable of hanging around another 10 years. theyll improve further this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back