Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

old hand;234634 said:
first of all if you are thinking dederang is one of the top sides that he wouldnt get a bat in, that is an absolute joke. there full of names who are out to play for themselves and not the team. on the topic of BEC though, i really hope it doesnt go to 20/20, im just one of the guys who doesnt really think of it as a proper game of cricket thats all, 50 overs works fine.

watch out for baranduda this year to, i saw a few people were writing them off as an old side, but you look at guys theyve got coming through in nathanieal dudley, rohan pearce, andrew russell (although not as young as the others), aaron morrison, kane smillie (can turn the ball a mile but is subject to commitment and team make up issues im told)... there is some talent there. andrew russell is the only one in that list over 19 but he is more than capable of hanging around another 10 years. theyll improve further this year

I wouldnt turn Murph away if he wanted to come play at Dederang but he still wouldnt bat in the top 6 out there.
May have a bit less pressure on him this season if Kel Bailey and Josh Bartel play 4 Kiewa this season as rumours suggest.
Should get them climbing back up the ladder after a lean year last season.
Dont think Dederang was mentioned in the statement by Rangatrain either so i wouldnt imagine he was talking about Dederang being a strong club.

RumPig;234642 said:
Baranduda had a very good year last year, such a shame that their ground and facilities are so damn ordinary and that some of their so-called stars are terrible examples for their young guns. Everyone loves a bit of a chat on the field, whether it be in the heat of the moment or just some good natured banter, but empty headed moronic comments followed by a gaggle of giggling monkeys is no example for young blokes with talent to learn at A Grade level. When teams visit your ground to play, you make an effort during and after the game to make them welcome,players and family/friends. Look forward to locking horns again this year...

Very well coached and I believe Micheal Connors is trying his best to change the culture at the club as well as the performance level of some of the youngsters at Baranduda.

Its Honestly Middo;234643 said:
Very well coached and I believe Micheal Connors is trying his best to change the culture at the club as well as the performance level of some of the youngsters at Baranduda.
Lets be honest IHM, Baranduda will always be the Paragon Pigdogs deep down. Until there is a significant changing of the guard at that club they will always have a culture problem.:):):)

old hand;234443 said:
just scrolling back through, and i have to say having been away since february i dont pretend to know anything about who is going where, but if warren marmo were to go to north albury and think he were to do well he would have to be kidding himself (and knowing his ego, he will be believing he will score a thousand runs should he go). I'm not saying he is a bad cricketer but he is one of the more over rated players in the district comp... just put a spinner of any varying degree of talent on and you will get him in two overs.

having said that the difference in standard between provincial and district isnt that big, the only difference is each provincial side might have one or two players who are a cut above all the other players in caw, district and provincial. you look at guys like dave farrell and castello at north, or peterson when he was at east (again dont have an idea where he will be this year), there the players that make the difference, the rest are all pretty similar.

mind you, watch the district batsmen if they get started in the border express cup- there scores will double if they get a start on a decent wicket

Batsmen- Josh Lee
Bowler- Richard Harvey
Allrounder- Rohan Pearce
hardest hitter- Kel Bailey
underrated player- Jarred Murphy
overrated player- Joshua Warren Marmo/ Julian Day/ Duane Shliebs
player to watch- Jarred Murphy

Just browsing thru and thought I would reply , as a follower of both District and provincial !the gap between the two is a lot moore than two players. It might be two between the best district and worst provincial. You start to get up- into the top provincial sides its moore like 8-10 players diferent in ability.
As for the point made about most provincial players originated from district level is an interesting one. I thought i would put it to the test.
Lets pick a strong club Nth Albury, won six flags in say 10 years i think.
I will go thru there players from best down.
Rod Barton (played in all six Three as captain) originated Tallangatta WDCA
Dave Castello(captain last 3) origin North juniours.
greg daniels origin wangaratta / north 3rds
Ryse Jones origin north juniors
david farrel origin north juniors
aron boyle origon north juniors
scott vincent origin Wodonga ABCA
joe loorham origin north juniors
dan markham origin lavy (i think???)
kade brown Origin north juniors
kane rhinebergor origin Howlong
dan kadouii origon Warnambool
brendon simmons origin north juniors
m richtor origin lavy (i think)
mat kirkwood origin north juniors
brett page origin Wagga
So what does that tell us ???. District Produced 2.
Mind one is a ripper.I think you district boys have got a way to go.

Wanie eat your heart out;234786 said:
Just browsing thru and thought I would reply , as a follower of both District and provincial !the gap between the two is a lot moore than two players. It might be two between the best district and worst provincial. You start to get up- into the top provincial sides its moore like 8-10 players diferent in ability.
As for the point made about most provincial players originated from district level is an interesting one. I thought i would put it to the test.
Lets pick a strong club Nth Albury, won six flags in say 10 years i think.
I will go thru there players from best down.
brett page origin Wagga
So what does that tell us ???. District Produced 2.
Mind one is a ripper.I think you district boys have got a way to go.

Same could be said for Lavington:-

Steve Wright - Lavington juniors
James Tonkin - Lavington juniors
Steve Baker - St Pats juniors
Damian Baker - St Pats juniors
Trent Ball - Lavington juniors
Luke McNeil - Lavington juniors
Andrew Maggs - Lavington juniors
Brett Sawyer - Lavington juniors

Not sure who else was in their side last year but it says a lot for their junior development (and their club in general). I'm pretty sure that all of them (except the Baker's) came all the way from their under 12's.

It also doesn't do much to support rangatrain's theory that half of every A grade side is made up of players that came from the District comp.

st pats have added former riverina rep allan edis to their ranks, having played the last couple of seaons at henty... the patties will be reasonably young again but have certainly added th their depth and should make the finals

brett page origin Wagga

Don't worry Wanie I think he's forgotten by now as well.:D

old hand;234443 said:
just scrolling back through, and i have to say having been away since february i dont pretend to know anything about who is going where, but if warren marmo were to go to north albury and think he were to do well he would have to be kidding himself (and knowing his ego, he will be believing he will score a thousand runs should he go). I'm not saying he is a bad cricketer but he is one of the more over rated players in the district comp... just put a spinner of any varying degree of talent on and you will get him in two overs.

having said that the difference in standard between provincial and district isnt that big, the only difference is each provincial side might have one or two players who are a cut above all the other players in caw, district and provincial. you look at guys like dave farrell and castello at north, or peterson when he was at east (again dont have an idea where he will be this year), there the players that make the difference, the rest are all pretty similar.

mind you, watch the district batsmen if they get started in the border express cup- there scores will double if they get a start on a decent wicket

Batsmen- Josh Lee
Bowler- Richard Harvey
Allrounder- Rohan Pearce
hardest hitter- Kel Bailey
underrated player- Jarred Murphy
overrated player- Joshua Warren Marmo/ Julian Day/ Duane Shliebs
player to watch- Jarred Murphy

Being a bit harsh on Josh Warren Marmo
If it is tru that he is going to Nth Albury , I would find it hard to believe that north wouldnt have done there homework. They have a fair record when it comes to developing young players who show some potential.
has he got potential????

Wanie eat your heart out;234862 said:
Being a bit harsh on Josh Warren Marmo
If it is tru that he is going to Nth Albury , I would find it hard to believe that north wouldnt have done there homework. They have a fair record when it comes to developing young players who show some potential.
has he got potential????

Josh does have heaps of potential,just ask him.
Josh will be a handy pick up for north but i hear a rumour he has been training with Baranduda.
Think he would be better off at North as he would recieve coaching from a very handy ex-keeper in Rod Barton,or he could go to Baranduda and recieve some expert tuition from Joe Karakai.:confused:

Joe would be a great teacher and imagine the convesations the two could have, it would be great, just ask Joe, he will tell you, and tell you.........................................LMAO

Powerbroker;234874 said:
Josh will be a handy pick up for north but i hear a rumour he has been training with Baranduda.
Think he would be better off at North as he would recieve coaching from a very handy ex-keeper in Rod Barton,or he could go to Baranduda and recieve some expert tuition from Joe Karakai.:confused:

That is a hard one. What could Rod Barton contibute verbally?:confused:

Powerbroker;234874 said:

Josh yet again playing teams and pumping up his ego.He will alot from Joe " Ali " Karakai how to be the greatest cricketer in CAW but plays c grade when no one listens to him.Lets see if the new coach can fix up the wonderful culture that is Baranduda CC.They have the worst ground in the comp where you have to walk a mile and sit under a horse shed.Then be careful of balls flying onto a grade ground from some c grader.:rolleyes:

mate the rumour that josh is going to baranduda has been around at this time of year for the last three seasons, and he starts those rumours himself, then talks shit about how they wouldnt give him the money or bat he wanted. hes full of shit.

I think though that in the provincial v district debate, alot of players that come over from provinicial certainly dont dominate in the way one would expect if the gap were as big as some people argue, and district players dont struggle as much as you would expect if the standards were vastly different. some will argue the abca players could be past there prime, but guys like scott vincent are still playing a grade for north albury, so they cant be that much past it.

There is no doubt that across the board Provincial clubs are better and stronger then district......but isn't this why we have the promotion relegation system?? So that in 5-10 years time the professionalism that provincial clubs have, has filtered thru to the district competition and hopefully improved local cricket for the better, after all guys it is for the betterment of the game on the border which in turns gives good young cricketers the opportunity to play at a higher level.

Not much being said about the "Lavington Neighbours" New City and Lavington. We all know Lavy has the West Indian but who else? and will the new boys still be competitive in district after what was a surprisingly good first year in?:rolleyes:

old hand;235069 said:
I think though that in the provincial v district debate, alot of players that come over from provinicial certainly dont dominate in the way one would expect if the gap were as big as some people argue, and district players dont struggle as much as you would expect if the standards were vastly different. some will argue the abca players could be past there prime, but guys like scott vincent are still playing a grade for north albury, so they cant be that much past it.
Mate have u played in both comps over the last 10 years? The standard of the District comp (WDCA) has dropped since the merger came into effect. No better quality Provincial (ABCA) cricketer will drop down to District level while the better quality juniors make the next step up to the Provincial comp. How many better quality juniors will stay at a Provincial club if they are relegated?So in essence all the District clubs are left with are solid bush cricketers and some Provincial seconds and thirds players.

In the WDCA days clubs attracted quality ABCA players (Steve McLennan, Cameron Lodding, Scott Vincent, Ant McIvor etc.) since the merger how many players of that quality have dropped down to District? There was a healthy rivalry between the 2 comps and both played in the Ensign Cup and Country Week competitions. We are likely to participate in neither this year. Yack are rumoured to be folding while a proud club like Wodonga looked like being relegated until late last season. What would of their future been if that had occurred? At the end of the day this has all proven that merger has not been the success that many have claimed it to be.:confused::confused::confused:

BigDog is back
after a nice long break i can say its great to get back into the swing of things. the last 8 weeks down at the kennel has been very productive, with a lot of new and old faces about the boys look set to improve on last year and the vibe is positive.

bark ya's@|@|

The Big Dog;235161 said:
BigDog is back
after a nice long break i can say its great to get back into the swing of things. the last 8 weeks down at the kennel has been very productive, with a lot of new and old faces about the boys look set to improve on last year and the vibe is positive.

bark ya's@|@|

any decent pick ups for the doggies, whats the latest on robbie jackson

harryhoward;235162 said:
any decent pick ups for the doggies, whats the latest on robbie jackson

A good rumour going around is that Robbie Jackson is a chance for the Wang Rovers coaching job so that could hurt Wodonga's chances. Maybe they could get Asho back.

neville;235114 said:
There is no doubt that across the board Provincial clubs are better and stronger then district......but isn't this why we have the promotion relegation system?? So that in 5-10 years time the professionalism that provincial clubs have, has filtered thru to the district competition and hopefully improved local cricket for the better, after all guys it is for the betterment of the game on the border which in turns gives good young cricketers the opportunity to play at a higher level.

Not much being said about the "Lavington Neighbours" New City and Lavington. We all know Lavy has the West Indian but who else? and will the new boys still be competitive in district after what was a surprisingly good first year in?:rolleyes:

by all counts the panthers have signed a young fella from holbrook who will be more than handy, name escapes me at the moment but will add depth to their batting.

RUNOUT;235123 said:
Mate have u played in both comps over the last 10 years? The standard of the District comp (WDCA) has dropped since the merger came into effect. No better quality Provincial (ABCA) cricketer will drop down to District level while the better quality juniors make the next step up to the Provincial comp. How many better quality juniors will stay at a Provincial club if they are relegated?So in essence all the District clubs are left with are solid bush cricketers and some Provincial seconds and thirds players.

In the WDCA days clubs attracted quality ABCA players (Steve McLennan, Cameron Lodding, Scott Vincent, Ant McIvor etc.) since the merger how many players of that quality have dropped down to District? There was a healthy rivalry between the 2 comps and both played in the Ensign Cup and Country Week competitions. We are likely to participate in neither this year. Yack are rumoured to be folding while a proud club like Wodonga looked like being relegated until late last season. What would of their future been if that had occurred? At the end of the day this has all proven that merger has not been the success that many have claimed it to be.:confused::confused::confused:
Can't agree more with you RO, true the standard has dropped big time. Have a look at Dederang who finished 3rd last year but should have won the flag. They relied on travelers (Hore, Morris, Marmo, Packer, Midson, Day) to mention a few who held that side together. Yet how many would have committed or been good enough to take the next step to the higher level? It just show's the widening gap between the two comps and this club is an example shows that the merger is doomed for any long term success.|@|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back