Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

lbw;235292 said:
Can't agree more with you RO, true the standard has dropped big time. Have a look at Dederang who finished 3rd last year but should have won the flag. They relied on travelers (Hore, Morris, Marmo, Packer, Midson, Day) to mention a few who held that side together. Yet how many would have committed or been good enough to take the next step to the higher level? It just show's the widening gap between the two comps and this club is an example shows that the merger is doomed for any long term success.|@|

I have heard that Kiewa are pushing hard for some former stars to return to the fold, names such as josh Bartel and Kelven Bailey are being bandied around with the inclusions of Andy Norling and Big Spider from Yack these guys could nearly be considered early flag favourites. Not sure New City can cover Bailey who single handedly won them games last year!
Walking sticks most be cheap out at dederang with "dads Army" likely to drop off the pace this year, surely the recruiting of blokes in thier mid to high thirties is no way to get promoted, sure you might win the thing but how do you then compete the folloeing year when promoted?
With a few more weeks of footy finals to go i look forward to seeing exactly where some players end up when the Border Mail start to give cricket a wind up and review exactly where clubs are at for the coming season!

harryhoward;235162 said:
any decent pick ups for the doggies, whats the latest on robbie jackson

sorry harry, havent herd or asked anything on robbie jackson, but i'd say footy would be his main priority at this stage and im sure a few guys have been in his ear evry now and then.
As for the others, chris macey, ben janissen, ben mcgrath, carl rogalski and logan hayward (to name a few) are playing and its fair to say logan and macey are the only two likely to play A's.. also we have had no departures im aware of.

to be honest mate, if wodonga crack the shits about getting relegated if they have a poor season, then to bad. the system cant work if, and i know that yack refused to go up which was a disgrace, but the system cant work if clubs complain about either going to district or promoted to provinicial. either way guys, either take it as a reward for having a great season or as a sign that your club needs to improve

Ritchie;235316 said:
I have heard that Kiewa are pushing hard for some former stars to return to the fold, names such as josh Bartel and Kelven Bailey are being bandied around with the inclusions of Andy Norling and Big Spider from Yack these guys could nearly be considered early flag favourites. Not sure New City can cover Bailey who single handedly won them games last year!
Walking sticks most be cheap out at dederang with "dads Army" likely to drop off the pace this year, surely the recruiting of blokes in thier mid to high thirties is no way to get promoted, sure you might win the thing but how do you then compete the folloeing year when promoted?
With a few more weeks of footy finals to go i look forward to seeing exactly where some players end up when the Border Mail start to give cricket a wind up and review exactly where clubs are at for the coming season!

Walking stix r cheap out there but we dont worry about them as every player over the age of 30 is given a motorised scooter to get around on.

that alone should ensure we wont run out of legs in the field.

Norling-definite
Bailey-definate
Kiewa will improve a great deal with those 2 guys at the club to complement Ash,Goody and Murph so expect them 2 b up around the finals bracket this season@|

Its Honestly Middo;227217 said:
No coach 4 Yack or Mt.B yet and Andy has something on the go just not revealing anything yet.

im pretty sure Mark Betheras is coaching Mt beauty after talking/listening to some players from there. took a lot of convincing aswell

----------------------------------------------------
Get on board the ranga train, tickets running out fast and it's about to leave the station @|@|

Ritchie;235316 said:

I wouldn"t hold my breath waiting for the Border Mail to give any credence to the District comp comings and goings. Their coverage of that comp has been piss-poor to say the least. You might get a paragraph on what teams are playing District, that's about it.
Put 3 blokes out at Cow Corner and bowl leg spin to pick up Bailey. Hopefully it dosen't cost you much

harryhoward;235247 said:
by all counts the panthers have signed a young fella from holbrook who will be more than handy, name escapes me at the moment but will add depth to their batting.

Young kid, Steve Taylor ???

well my god lads, being laid up in bed had me so bored i've been reading this stuff for hours, some of you make some quite valid points, others however wouldnt know what the word valid actually means!!! (and they say cricket is a smart mans game??)
a couple i've come accross that deserve a reply.....

PROVINCIAL v DISTRICT: who was it that said "the gap is not that big at all, the provincial bowlers tend to bowl better line and length and are more consistent, their batsmen concentrate harder and value their wicket more, and in general the fielding standard is better????
well f^^k me swinging einstein thats the three main facets of the game, gaps looking pretty big to me already...

RHYS JONES OVERATED???...i was almost on the same page(but not strongly) then he went and smoked 170 odd ( a knowlegable source who was in the game said "one of the best knocks he's ever seen) then he backed it up with another couple of tons in the next two games.
i'll take a gamble and say i bet he's a s^^tload better player than whoever wrote that...

anyhow there seems to be a recurring theme about Provincial standard V district and how they would fair against each other on the park!!! So why dont one of you district chaps...middo, you'll do, list the best possible 11 players from the district comp ( and take your time, you dont want to get flogged remember), And i'll reply with my version of the provincial list, would love to here your thoughts!!:

Watchful Eye;235686 said:
Young kid, Steve Taylor ???

Watchful eye, that name steve taylor rings a bell but sorry i cant be 100 per cent sure, i just cant remember, i do know they have signed someone from out that way though, probably through tommy stead.

sparky;235703 said:
well my god lads, being laid up in bed had me so bored i've been reading this stuff for hours, some of you make some quite valid points, others however wouldnt know what the word valid actually means!!! (and they say cricket is a smart mans game??)
a couple i've come accross that deserve a reply.....

PROVINCIAL v DISTRICT: who was it that said "the gap is not that big at all, the provincial bowlers tend to bowl better line and length and are more consistent, their batsmen concentrate harder and value their wicket more, and in general the fielding standard is better????
well f^^k me swinging einstein thats the three main facets of the game, gaps looking pretty big to me already...

RHYS JONES OVERATED???...i was almost on the same page(but not strongly) then he went and smoked 170 odd ( a knowlegable source who was in the game said "one of the best knocks he's ever seen) then he backed it up with another couple of tons in the next two games.
i'll take a gamble and say i bet he's a s^^tload better player than whoever wrote that...

anyhow there seems to be a recurring theme about Provincial standard V district and how they would fair against each other on the park!!! So why dont one of you district chaps...middo, you'll do, list the best possible 11 players from the district comp ( and take your time, you dont want to get flogged remember), And i'll reply with my version of the provincial list, would love to here your thoughts!!:

RHYS JONES the best in the comp for me !

Watchful Eye;235734 said:
RHYS JONES the best in the comp for me !

Rhys Jones definitely improved last year but I still don't think he's in the same class as Steve Wood, Steve Wright, Tim Kennedy or Greg Daniel yet. In saying that, he's definitely more of a team player than Daniel and Woody's best days are probably behind him.

Sir Don;235781 said:
Rhys Jones definitely improved last year but I still don't think he's in the same class as Steve Wood, Steve Wright, Tim Kennedy or Greg Daniel yet. In saying that, he's definitely more of a team player than Daniel and Woody's best days are probably behind him.

Personally I'd have Rhys ahead of Tim.
Let Tim get a few tons under his belt before you put him in the company of Wood, Wright and Daniel. By the way I think you could have Lade with those guys and chuck in Barto while your going.

The Reverse Sweeper;235801 said:
Let Tim get a few tons under his belt before you put him in the company of Wood, Wright and Daniel. By the way I think you could have Lade with those guys and chuck in Barto while your going.

Cheers for your honestly guys... its no doubt that last season I was struggling up until xmas with poor form. I have no excuse for it and nor should I. I worked hard over the break and I was very happy with the way that I finished the season barring an early exit from the finals series but learnt much from it as I am continuing to do so over here in sunny pommyland.

In regards to even being put near the same category as these blokes I have had a chuckle. I do not consider myself near these guys as they have proven themself time and time again.
However being only 23 I hope to build on a strong post xmas showing I had last season and prove a few more doubters wrong this year.

In regards to "The Chief" and his amazing command of the English language; if he was a big enough man to actually name himself and base some sort of reasoning behind why I am overated I would gladly retort (it means reply, Chief). Forums are the basis for input and criticisms alike, however these opinions should have some depth to them at least.

To anyone playing in either league this year I wish you good luck and hope you do well,

Jonesy (Buffalo)

Bring Back Tugga;235864 said:
Cheers for your honestly guys... its no doubt that last season I was struggling up until xmas with poor form. I have no excuse for it and nor should I. I worked hard over the break and I was very happy with the way that I finished the season barring an early exit from the finals series but learnt much from it as I am continuing to do so over here in sunny pommyland.

In regards to even being put near the same category as these blokes I have had a chuckle. I do not consider myself near these guys as they have proven themself time and time again.
However being only 23 I hope to build on a strong post xmas showing I had last season and prove a few more doubters wrong this year.

In regards to "The Chief" and his amazing command of the English language; if he was a big enough man to actually name himself and base some sort of reasoning behind why I am overated I would gladly retort (it means reply, Chief). Forums are the basis for input and criticisms alike, however these opinions should have some depth to them at least.

To anyone playing in either league this year I wish you good luck and hope you do well,

Jonesy (Buffalo)

Well Rhys,
you sound like a pretty level headed sort of kid, thats always a good sign, with that sort of attitude i'm sure you will continue to improve. must say i would have you in my top five, but one cant go past Daniel and Lade for consistency, woody is a gun, but cant fire as often as he used to, lets face it, age and injury has to catch up at some point, but apart from Kello he's probably one of the best to play here over the last 15 years or so.
who was it that put Barto in that group??? isn't he turning 50 soon!!!

The Reverse Sweeper;235801 said:

I think missing the first half of last year has made people forget how good Tim was the previous year. I think he's the best bowler in the comp and his batting has improved out of sight. You're right about him needing to get a few tons under his belt but unlike Wright, Jones and Daniel he's more of a bowling all rounder. He's certainly not in the same class with the bat as the other three but I think he's better than all of them with the ball.

I also agree that Ladey should be included in the discussion. His best days are also probably behind him but he is still performing. Two years ago I would have had Barto in there too but he's starting to look really old these days.

Wood and Wright stand out for the number of hundreds they've each made as well as being consistent wicket takers. I agree Woody isn't as dominant as he was a few years back but he showed during the finals last year that he can still rip a side apart.

My top five (in no order): Wood, Wright, Kennedy, Daniel and Restall.

Jones and Lade would be in the next group for me.

Sir Don;235781 said:

What games have you blokes been watching the last couple of years.
you must agree that fielding,catching, throwing etc is a real important facit of our game. throw in running between wickets,and probably bowling, Steve wright cant do any of them!!!He is a flat track bully with the bat and scores 95% of his runs against poor opposition with poor attacks. Put him up against a high quality side in a high standard of game and see how he looks???
Wood ,lade,daniel,jones,castello(all can bat and bowl and field!!) Restall.
their my top 6. Tim Kennedy has to have a big year to get into their class.
Old man Barton, I would bet my house he would have scored more first grade hundreds than steve wright,probably up there with Woody?

Wanie eat your heart out;236081 said:
you must agree that fielding,catching, throwing etc is a real important facit of our game. throw in running between wickets,and probably bowling, Steve wright cant do any of them!!!He is a flat track bully with the bat and scores 95% of his runs against poor opposition with poor attacks. Put him up against a high quality side in a high standard of game and see how he looks???
Old man Barton, I would bet my house he would have scored more first grade hundreds than steve wright,probably up there with Woody?

Hey Wanie.....(or WARNEY), its ok wanie will do for now, seems you rate steve wright as highly as you rate Paul Collingwood!! Anyhow have to aggree on the comment, he has hardly set the world on fire the last couple of years,he can really slog it but there's more to a gun player than just that.
As much as it pains me to say it Daniel is my best for a mile, he bores the crap out of you for a while, then you forget about him while the likes of castello, jones, barton and co spank you all over the park, by the time they were gone that cheeky little prick is sitting down the other end on 150 or something!! then the skipper and coach tell us not to worry about his bowling, "let him bowl his 25 overs, take 4 or 5 wickets and we'll score 3 or 4 runs an over off him".....some game plan, they spanked us and almost everyone else for that matter, bar only the crows i think.
And credit where its due, Barto copped a bit of "tall poppy syndrome" from me..(maybee too many run ins over the years) but yeah i think your house would be pretty safe, may as well bet Simones house too!!!

Wanie eat your heart out;236081 said:

I decided to do a bit of research before I replied so that I don't make myself look like a dill. I had a look at the list of century makers in Joe Wooding's book. You are right, Barto and Woody have scored more hundreds than Wright. They are currently third, fourth and fifth on the list with 15 (Wood), 13 (Barton) and 11 (Wright). I reckon that by the time they're all retired Wright will be ahead of the other two. I don't know how old he is but I'm pretty sure he's three or four years younger than the other two.

Your comment about making runs against poor opposition doesn't really stand up either because I'm sure he's made at least three of his hundred's against Tallangatta and I'd be guessing that Woody played in all of those games. The one he made against them last year would also have included Garry Elliott.

I don't like Lavington much and I always hated playing against them but you have to give credit where it's due.

You're obviously a North Albury player because I don't think anyone from any other club would have Castello anywhere near the top five in the comp.

Tim Kennedy's a gun. Dogs will make the finals this year.

Sir Don;236123 said:
I decided to do a bit of research before I replied so that I don't make myself look like a dill. I had a look at the list of century makers in Joe Wooding's book. You are right, Barto and Woody have scored more hundreds than Wright. They are currently third, fourth and fifth on the list with 15 (Wood), 13 (Barton) and 11 (Wright). I reckon that by the time they're all retired Wright will be ahead of the other two. I don't know how old he is but I'm pretty sure he's three or four years younger than the other two.

Your comment about making runs against poor opposition doesn't really stand up either because I'm sure he's made at least three of his hundred's against Tallangatta and I'd be guessing that Woody played in all of those games. The one he made against them last year would also have included Garry Elliott.

I don't like Lavington much and I always hated playing against them but you have to give credit where it's due.

You're obviously a North Albury player because I don't think anyone from any other club would have Castello anywhere the top five in the comp.

You reseached the hundreds , and than said my comment about poor opposition doesnt stand up EITHER , what part of Barto scoring more hundreds than wright didnt stand up????
Also what part of flat track bully didnt you understand??the flat or the track. As im not going to do any research, my gut instinct tells me that tallangatta has got a track and it is fairly fxxxcking flat.
And i will also go out on a limb and say that i reckon woody and gary would have bowled fxxck all against him if at all, because if both were playing ireckon wright would have been down the list a fair bit.
so I still stand by my original opinion.

Wanie eat your heart out;236131 said:
You reseached the hundreds , and than said my comment about poor opposition doesnt stand up EITHER , what part of Barto scoring more hundreds than wright didnt stand up????
Also what part of flat track bully didnt you understand??the flat or the track. As im not going to do any research, my gut instinct tells me that tallangatta has got a track and it is fairly fxxxcking flat.
And i will also go out on a limb and say that i reckon woody and gary would have bowled fxxck all against him if at all, because if both were playing ireckon wright would have been down the list a fair bit.
so I still stand by my original opinion.

AND ITS FIGHT NIGHT ON THE FORUM BOYS.
in the blue corner we have the late great SIR DON, in the red WARNIE THE MODERN MASTER.
can i be the reff....nothing else to do???
well at this stage you have to hand it to warnie, the don seems to have messed up a bit on the whole flat track and opposition bit, i guess stats wont always tell the full story will they..(hope you diddnt pay for that book did ya).

however THE DON gets some points from me on the castello call, i do seriously think top six is a bit of a stretch warnie, has had a good finals record of late, killed raiders and from memory lavi the year before, but lets face it no dissrespect to them but did anyone really expect raiders to win that year anyhow, not like last year where you could really flip a coin???

so i'd have to split the points with you two legends for now, hopefully the next round is just as exciting...go lads.
All this stuff just makes ya want to play again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back