Guess The Item 🤔

It is a sedimentary rock (mudstone). No gemstones, but it wouldn't stop a geologist [my niece for example] from saying that the inclusions were "little gems".

Is it that solidified and hard sap from a Tree, like Red Gums pretty shiny red hardened sap.
Ancient insects were caught in the sap and preserved perfectly for millions of years. Amber is its name.

A fossilised big Dragonfly I'd say, in Amber.
il_794xN.2893432308_5foi.jpg

This Prehistoric bug in Amber looks horrible.
prehistoric bug in Amber.jpg

Grier is very close - fossil is the key word. Richie that's a nice piece of jewellery.
Devonian animal fossils about 380 million years. Older than me. 2 rocks in photo. Even the things that look like ferns are some ancient animal.
They came from a bay in Tasmania: the exact location is a sort of geologists' secret.

Attachments

• IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 4
Grier is very close - fossil is the key word. Richie that's a nice piece of jewellery.
Devonian animal fossils about 380 million years. Older than me. 2 rocks in photo. Even the things that look like ferns are some ancient animal.
They came from a bay in Tasmania: the exact location is a sort of geologists' secret.
Wow! To the non-geologist it looks like it should be in a museum and not in private hands. Or are there plenty of others like this one?

I was actually there and picked them up off a rocky shelf just above high tide line. Thousands of them - the stone cracks into convinient small rectangular blocks during storms and you just pick up the ones you fancy. It was like shopping. You have to scramble down a bit of a cliff and it's all invisible from the road - Australia still has its secrets!
What would you say is still missing then?
Nothing really. I was distracted by the clogs.

My item is a simple thing found in many homes and elsewhere. Some homes have lots, some just several and some none. I have lots.
They are made from a variety of materials like wood and even metal. I have 8 metal ones given to me by my youngest daughter.
ghtdgg.jpg
Present not to scale and not me nor my daughter.

Last edited:
Back