Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

James P said:
Not really Dave - It might be misleading the way i've described it. It looks the same in delivery as a top spinner with the hand 90 degrees to the batsman but instead of the hand going over the top of the ball before delivery I have a chopping motion where my fingers chop down the back of the ball (the side opposite the batsman) that still loops the ball in a similar flight to the top spinner but imparts a lot of backspin. It's quite hard to get consistent because you need to get the right amount of spin and power to determine the trajectory, otherwise it can sometimes just pop out and sit up to be smacked. When it works it skids through beautifully.

The action looks very similar to the top spinner especially when bowled with a good rhythm, but i'm sure a good batsman can pick it. The level I play it's not too much of a worry though.

My arm ball is a quick delivery with no spin and a scrambled seam that catches the batsman off guard when they try to dominate. I usually try and get it at yorker length, but when it's bowled once in a while it can be tricky to get the length right. Keeps them on their toes! Try it once in a while and it can help pile on a bit more pressure.
James P i think the back spin ball you're describing is the flipper? Ive always thought the flipper is where your hand is cocked out to the right (90 degrees to batsmen) and you snap your fingers and thumb and put backspin on it. Am I completely mistaken?

By backspinner, do you mean the one which spins against the travel of the ball? Causing it to hold up off the pitch?

If so, then yes, your thumb should be doing the work to make the ball rotate in such a way. I've never actually tried to developed that type of ball but i might have a go.

Ripping-LegBreak said:
what do u mean by thumb? In my leg break and Top spinner i dont rest my thumb on the ball, So how shud i use my thumb for the backspinner?

There's 2 basic Leg Spin variations with back-spin -
1. The Flipper which as the bloke and I described earlier on is the one that's clicked out of the hand using the thumb and the middle finger in exactly the way you click your fingers to the beat of music - but you have the ball in there and force it doing that.

2. The slider which is a mystery to me, but you don't use your thumb I'm pretty sure.

i have i really nice way to bowl the slider, which looks quite like a leg break. bowl with ur normal action. but on the 2 up 2 down grip, put ur thumb on the side of the ball and squeeze as you release the delivery, not like a flipper which kindof clicks out of the hand, but more like ur trying to spin it with ur fingers. it comes out with a little leg spin, bu the backspin ensures it skids through

most of my runs come through mid wicket or long off, i had the match and i bowled quite well, got 1 for 16 of 4 overs. however for the first three overs i only went for 3 runs, last over got hit for 2 sixes and a single. they werent bad balls, just got slog-swept for a bleeding mile. my wicket was caught at mid-off trying to flay a drive and mistimeing, actually the field i set by guesswork turned out pretty well.

That's good bowling figures - I've just updated my blog and in there I was talking about how nice it must be to have the skills, knowledge and confidence to be able to set your own field. It's something I'd like to be able to do maybe next summer depending on how successful I am this year. My captain is going to explain the field placings he currently sets for me next time we get a chance to practice or play, it'll be interesting to hear his rationale.

Its easier than you think Dave.

Mostly I just have the captains choice for a few overs then i get the freedom and place them where the runs are going. If i'm trying to set something up i usually get them hitting out then crush the field tightly together and they end up edging it all over show, or me going for 6 6's :p

I don't know if you follow my main blog at www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com but on there all winter I've been speculating that this summer I'd be able to get a big bunch of Asian blokes playing proper cricket. They all play on a ropey old field near me and there's about 26 - 30 of them and they play 20/20 matches in the evenings after work - but they use cricket tennis balls and last year kids stumps. Anyway digressing - I was hoping that I'd be able to persuade them to play proper cricket and lend them all my gear (I've got tons of it off of ebay) and I was hoping that if that happened I'd get the chance to set my own field in a far more informal situation and see how it pans out. But because of the Leg Break practicing and team commitment and other stuf going on it just hasn't happened.

Long answer for a short point!!! :laugh:

I bowl a middle/leg line so i have my offside fielders close in but most of my leg side fielders out on the boundry except for one guy close in around mid wicket. i have a first slip and a third man. any improvements people???

I'm intrigued - why do you have a third man other than because someone somewhere ages ago made the decision that you should always always always have a third man for every field ever?

I'm guessing you're not bowling fast enough for an edge to go over first slip and beat him to the boundary, even on the quickest outfield, so why have the third man? I could just about understand a guy at fine leg, but even that has its drawbacks. You'd be better off having the guy at third man in the deep at point/cover, in case the batsman decides to try and hammer one over the close in fielders on the off side.

i bowl at 45 ish and have had a few catches missed by first slip, but essentially ur right, if my slip were better id
have him at long extra cover. i think ur right about the desicion that some coach took three years ago but i think that third man is better for the leggie than fine leg. even a sweep off a leggie only really goes to square leg because of the turn. also i like to encourage batsmen to sweep, i dont rate the shot and the bounce off the pitch can often do a batsman in with a top edge.

To be honest, personally I'd shift your third man round to deep cover or if you absolutely must have someone behind the wicketkeeper, have a fly slip or even a gully for leading edges.

My thinking is, that if you really want your batsman to have a sweep, give him a nice open area behind him to tempt him into it. Any batsman worth his willow is going to try and play the ball into the gaps, and if there's a big gap behind him, the sweep shot is the one he's going to try. It might prove a little expensive, but we're leg spinners - we're supposed to buy wickets! :p

lol true, but where do you think a bungled sweep would go??/

i bowled a sick ball in a practise 20/20 game today, i had last over, 20 runs to win, first ball was a dot. second, i had a long chat with my captain and we decided to bring midwicket in close and add a second slip. i bowled a really slow loopy leggie on leg stump line, batsman attempted a slog but flayed to long off and their number 10 couldnt get the required runs
YES!!!! i felt so good after that,
not so good earlier when i went for 2 sixes in an over... glad that captain didnt take me off lol

A bungled sweep can go anywhere, but more often than not straight up in the air or - as you said - straight to square leg (who hopefully will get in from the boundary in time!)

also on the topic of spin in general, do you find that a half topspin half sidespin leg break actually turns more than a full side one???, i find they tend to bite more + they dip and curve like bitches

Dave, practice is great, if your groundsmen permits, get in the middle, bowl a few and just practise through an over.

Just take it one step at a time.

I think that's due to happen this Friday, we've got a new practice slot on Friday evenings 6pm - 8pm and I think it's out on the wicket and my captains going to talk me through the fielding positions the same night and his strategy. So that should be good?

The old Leg break is coming back - I've been following Peter Philpotts instructions and it's working for me and all that top-spinning accuracy work I did over the winter is paying off as my line and length is very good compared to last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back