Number of Empty seats in Test Cricket

Timed Out

Number of Empty seats in Test Cricket

Ive noticed recently when watching the cricket on tv how many empty seats they're at most the games. I cant remember a test match england have played where it hasnt been full for the first 3 days atleast.

Any idea why they cant sell the tickets or any views on the matter?

Re: Number of Empty seats in Test Cricket

yeah with the kind of one sided cricket thats being played recently its not looking good.

Simple solution - cut prices. You can argue that you're getting good value for money in terms of number of hours play versus price but £50 (in the UK) is still a bit steep.

Also, you need to look at the individual countries in question, some places prefer the one day game to tests.

Lastly, looking at some of the tests over the last few days, well, hardly been a great advertisement has it.

In India there is always full house for one day match but in Test too we get very big crowd. If the team plays more 20 20 then the test cricket will get affected but until now I dont think it has much effect.

We still manage to fill grounds in England why can't they fill them overseas?

I think you still get full grounds in blighty as it's tradition and there is no love lost for the 50 over game.

I think some of it has to do with the dominance of Australia over the last 10 years, when they play, you know they're going to win more often than not.

Plus there is too much cricket being played, if we cut the number of games we would see peoples appetites for the game increase.

Timed Out said:
Ive noticed recently when watching the cricket on tv how many empty seats they're at most the games. I cant remember a test match england have played where it hasnt been full for the first 3 days atleast.

Any idea why they cant sell the tickets or any views on the matter?

What teams in particualr were you thinking of? South Africa, Australia or others? Just out of interest :).

I think it is the NZ and SA series where there wasnt much crowd.  I also heard that the crowd was less in Australia recently. I think more crowd will come when there is exciting series. The matches between South Africa and New Zealand had very poor cricket.

Exactly; the Stadium were nearly empty and no excitement or buzz about the test series as well.
Is the cricketing excitement present when teams like England,Australia, India or Pakistan are playing :???

That may be the case but the it's the smaller teams that need the interest or else the game will perish in those places.

the coming up series with pakistan and india will be very busy

no space in the stadiums at all i would think

That's a given though, like England against Australia. The big problem (as I see it) is getting the average fan interested in games like West Indies vs Bangladesh or New Zealand vs Sri Lanka.

But i still dont understand how any game in England, that is an international, is almost always sold out. It could be England v Bangladesh or anything and it would sell out and England isnt exactly a massive cricketing nation.

Cricket is still the summer sport for most in England and people love to see the national side (in any sport) play.

Also, the grounds in England are smaller than in some other places, just compare the capacities.

StanTheMan said:
That's a given though, like England against Australia. The big problem (as I see it) is getting the average fan interested in games like West Indies vs Bangladesh or New Zealand vs Sri Lanka.

I don't know, I think Bangladesh will probably get some decent crowds at home, it's a pretty cricket made country.

swghayward79 said:
Cricket is still the summer sport for most in England and people love to see the national side (in any sport) play.

Also, the grounds in England are smaller than in some other places, just compare the capacities.

To back this up:

Lords can hold 30,000
Sydney Cricket Ground - 44002
Melbourne - 100000
Wankhede Stadium - 45000
M.Chinnaswamy Stadium - 55000

And so on, as you can see the big grounds in some of the other countries totally drawf our biggest ground, no wonder they look a little empty from time to time.

Whenever I play, people are locked out of the ground - mostly females, as is the majority of the crowd inside!

As for something less serious, well, you know, it goes round busy for a few years, then it'll get less popular and so on. Don't worry so much about it little dude, cricket will survive, like gingers, it'll always be around no matter what you do.

swghayward79 said:
To back this up:

Lords can hold 30,000
Sydney Cricket Ground - 44002
Melbourne - 100000
Wankhede Stadium - 45000
M.Chinnaswamy Stadium - 55000

And so on, as you can see the big grounds in some of the other countries totally drawf our biggest ground, no wonder they look a little empty from time to time.
eden gardens has a capacity of 100000 too but its always full for any kind of match :D

the attendance in the recent australia vs sri lanka and south africa was very poor too. we need some exciting competitive cricket to draw the crowds. i feel the upcoming india vs australia will have better attendance.

Back