Number of Empty seats in Test Cricket

Re: Number of Empty seats in Test Cricket

Steve Waugh has rejected the call from Geoff Boycott to cut Tests to four days and says the format should not be tinkered with. Boycott suggested the alterations because "the pace of life has changed", but Waugh said people enjoyed watching a contest evolve over five days.

"It's like a game of chess, it's a great game of tactics, it's a battle mentally as well, so to cut it short would be to change the game of Test cricket," he said in the Australian. "And that's the essence of cricket: Test cricket."

Waugh said players were judged on how they performed in the longer form. "So let's not tinker with that, you can tinker with the other forms of the game, but Test cricket should stay the way it is," he said. "If someone can win a Test match in three days then that provides entertainment, but some of the best games I played went right down to the wire in five days and there wasn't a result."

Cricinfo

I agree with Waugh. I wouldn't want four day or day-night test matches. I personally like Test cricket as it is. Some of the matches can be boring, but its because of the players not the nature of the game.

I like the idea of the day-night but it would be unworkable in a lot of places.

There are enough problems now with dew and fog in some parts of the world to make things even more complicated with having to arrange day-night tests.

In the 4th and 5th day of the test in Kolkata the crowd attendance was very less. Most people kenw it would be a draw. That was a such a important test match and the wicket was very poor. These matches are not good for popularity of test cricket.

Wait till the Ashes come around :p

It's a shame that matches like South Africa v Pakistan/India for example are never full or near to full. Only England v Australia seems to be the full one.

Pakistan vs India attendance wasn't all the either.

.::Cerebral Assassin::. said:
Wait till the Ashes come around :p

It's a shame that matches like South Africa v Pakistan/India for example are never full or near to full. Only England v Australia seems to be the full one.

Pakistan vs India attendance wasn't all the either.
It wasn't too bad to say most Indian and Pakistani fans prefer one day cricket.

Back