South Africa in Australia

Re: South Africa in Australia

Another days play of terrific test cricket. It was an even first hour with Ntini getting Hayden caught early on in the piece. Ponting and Katich then put on a big partnership and Australia were looking comfortable at 1 - 133 when Katich wasn't sure whether to play or leave a delivery from steyn and his indecisiveness lead to an inside edge on to the stumps. 10 Runs later Hussey was caught behind off Steyn again not sure whether to play or leave and edged it behind after trying to take the bat away. Clarke and Ponting then shared a handy partnership and Ponting reached his tonne but didn't survive much after as he was caught by Amla off the bowling of Harris once again with an obvious bat pad catch. Clarke and Symonds were scoring runs at a regular rate in a 20 - 30 minute period but were then bogged down for 27 consecutive dot balls until Symonds edged one behind off the bowling of Morkel and Kallis took a terrific diving two hand catch at second slip. Haddin and Clarke then shared another handy partnership until haddin was caught by Smith at first slip with nine balls left in the day for 40. Clarke and Lee survived the last nine balls and Australia finished day 1 at 6 - 280. I think this day belonged to South Africa as they won the last 2 sessions.

Good summary grapedo. @|

As Ponting said 280 is probably equivalent to 30-40 more runs due to the large, slow outfield. Still day 1 honours go to South Africa with pressure once again on the Australian tail to get us up to a big score.

I was there at the cricket today. Good fun, great game early and fun all around the ground.

How does everyone reckon Clarke is doing? He seemed to be struggling from what I saw.

Mousey;299776 said:
I was there at the cricket today. Good fun, great game early and fun all around the ground.

How does everyone reckon Clarke is doing? He seemed to be struggling from what I saw.

Im going to go on day 3 or 4 most likely, today I spent the day in my Aunties pool playing volleyball and watching the cricket good fun@|.

Too packed for me today there.

Also, on Clarke, I think if he can scratch through it and get a good 50-80 he would have served the team well. We never know though, he may come out tomorrow and start smashing them everywhere, it's why I love Test Cricket.

I paid money to see Clarke scartch, block, fiddle around, push for 1s and 2s. It was a disgrace for a bloke so in form. I don't believe it for one minute that the guy just lost his touch and was struggling. It seemed like a ploy, a technique to drive the Safs insane with boredom.......Too far fetched?

Was an okay day's play. Ponting was superb and Katich solid. Morkel very very average. Harris bowled well and Kallis was bowling nearly as quick as Steyn.

Steyn isn't as quick as he was reported to be, although he seems to reach 145 (Probably his top speed) very casually without really exerting too much effort.

D.K;299782 said:
I paid money to see Clarke scartch, block, fiddle around, push for 1s and 2s. It was a disgrace for a bloke so in form. I don't believe it for one minute that the guy just lost his touch and was struggling. It seemed like a ploy, a technique to drive the Safs insane with boredom.......Too far fetched?

Way to harsh on Clarke. He battled through a tough period today without throwing it away. Had he gone for a big shot and gotten himself out he would have been critisised as well. I've never really liked Clarke but i have alot more respect for him after today.

It's hard to win. You get critisised for batting too slowly but also critisised for playing a big shot.

Although Clarke didn't score freely I was very impressed with his temperament. Admonished himself when he played and missed, didn't have to play at anything outside the off stump. A trait Haddin could learn when its close to stumps. @|

Two loose shots in Perth have probably contributed to thius approach but to me this showed maturity, and important trait required when batting at the elite level.

And hey D.K. Ponting got a 100 with an 80% strike rate, you should be happy with that. :p

Biggie;299787 said:
Steyns fastest delivery was 149km.

He reached 148.3 a few times also.

Glad to see your paying attention:p

Na, my bad, I meant the speed that he reaches consistently, so like at the top of his average speed, hard to explain really:D

Biggie;299794 said:
Although Clarke didn't score freely I was very impressed with his temperament. Admonished himself when he played and missed, didn't have to play at anything outside the off stump. A trait Haddin could learn when its close to stumps. @|

Two loose shots in Perth have probably contributed to thius approach but to me this showed maturity, and important trait required when batting at the elite level.

And hey D.K. Ponting got a 100 with an 80% strike rate, you should be happy with that. :p

I agree.

Back to the pace discussion, the clock at the G today was reporting Morkel getting into the 148's. :\

Poor slump, that's all. He has no confidence. Although I'm a big Hussey fan and believe Hussey is better than Clarke at 4 maybe swap them around? See how they go?

breeno;299783 said:
Steyn isn't as quick as he was reported to be, although he seems to reach 145 (Probably his top speed) very casually without really exerting too much effort.

Yes true. I have watched him bowl for 18 months now and I can only recall him hitting the 150 km/h + mark once or twice.

Funny how the Media hyped up the battle of speed will be lee v steyn when really it is Johnson v Morkel.:D

Does the oufield ever get quicker as a test match goes on ? I was just wondering as to whether South Africa will have a slightly quicker outfield.

Back