Re: South Africa in Australia

Stumps Day 4.

SAf 62/1(2*) needs 314 runs to win

McKenzie 25*
Amla 30*

Should be a good days play tomorrow.

*Smith wont play

What were South Africa thinking opening with Morkel? Not a batmans bumhole let alone an opener. Australia in a strong position and look out for Siddle and McDonald to cause problems bowling into the cracks just outside off stump.

Haurtiz gets Amla caught at bat pad for 59.

SA 4/110.

Haurtiz actually turned the ball. :eek:

Amla is a bit weak. He has made 3 50's in this series but couldn't get past 60. Not good enough from your number 3 batsman.

Should be a really interesting day's play tommorow, Australia need to strike early and get SA nervous.

I think the way Amla plays, there is an element of risk. He will always go for his shots if they are there, and with the way he plays, he is almost always going to get out; it's just a case of for how many.

But I agree with you, this one was the only one I consider to be weak, as they need to hang around, and as you said, not good enough from your number 3.

The430king;305026 said:
What were South Africa thinking opening with Morkel? Not a batmans bumhole let alone an opener.

The only thing I can think of is that he was going in as a pinch-hitter. Even if South Africa weren't going for the win, if Morkel could come in and hit a quick 40 or 50 Australia would be forced to push the field back, making it easier for the others.

However, given the state of the pitch, most of the wickets tomorrow are going to be bowled or LBW, so I don't think the field placings will end up being massively important

Jolldo87;305408 said:

SA 4/110.

Amla is a bit weak. He has made 3 50's in this series but couldn't get past 60. Not good enough from your number 3 batsman.

I can see what you think but played very well last year he should have converted one of the starts though.

The430king;305026 said:
What were South Africa thinking opening with Morkel? Not a batmans bumhole let alone an opener.

I think they were hoping he'd survive the pace attack (which he can play decently well) until stumps and they wouldn't lose any vital wickets, like a nightwatchmen. It's not a bad idea in theory, it keeps the order the way it would normally be, but unfortunately for South Africa Morkel couldn't capitalize on the chance.

I think with the pitch being rolled again tommorow if South Africa can bat well in the first session the match is there's for the taking IMO.

Hashim Amla:

6 Test 100's
11 Test 50's
Conversion rate of 35.3%

Doesn't look too flash when compared to Ponting:

37 Test 100's
43 Test 50's
Conversion rate of 46.3%

A ratio of 1 century for 2 fifties is probably acceptable, but if Amla is going to be a world class number 3 he's going to have to get it up closer to 1:1 like Ponting

The430king;305026 said:
What were South Africa thinking opening with Morkel? Not a batmans bumhole let alone an opener. Australia in a strong position and look out for Siddle and McDonald to cause problems bowling into the cracks just outside off stump.

The South African batting order is pretty well set so tinkering with it is not in their best interests. Morkel opened because South Africa didn't want to switch around their top six which probably wasn't the right thing to do considering they have nunerous opening options.

Morkel was a sacrificial wicket more then anything and was unlikely to score anything significant should he have batted in his usual spot on day five.

We weren't comparing anyone Grapedo, we were saying that he should be able to convert his starts more often.

Will stick my neck out here and go for an Aussie win but I have a few doubts. A draw is very possible and there is an outside chance of South Africa sneaking it but a lot will depend on the morning session. Get through that without loss or maybe only losing a wicket then it could be game on.

We need to get 2 wickets in the first session minimum otherwise we are in big trouble.

I feel it will be up to Siddle and McDonald to take the majority of the wickets today.

thommy_rissole;305423 said:
4 Tests against Bangladesh in 2008

292 Runs from 4 matches against Bangladesh, that's still another 1000-odd runs against the real teams, including 275 runs from 4 away tests against England

thommy_rissole;305423 said:
4 Tests against Bangladesh in 2008

Amla 33 Tests average 41
Ponting 127 Tests average 57

Amla :eek:

Amla 2008:
Bangladesh ( 4 matches) - 292 runs @ 58.40
India (3 matches)- 307 runs @ 61.40
England (4 matches) - 275 runs @45.83
Australia (3 matches) - 259 runs @ 51.80

So he has done reasonably well against everyone.

Amla V Ponting in 2008:
Amla 1271 runs @ 52.95
Ponting 1235 runs @ 45.74

Amla looking good.

It's weird the way they talk about 130km/h beinf medium pace. I can tell you, where I play, 130km/h is freakin quick!

a for effort;305427 said:
292 Runs from 4 matches against Bangladesh, that's still another 1000-odd runs against the real teams, including 275 runs from 4 away tests against England

And 307 in 3 away tests v india.

Yeah, Siddle is bowling over 135 and they are calling it slow.

Wow, McDonald, surely that is out.

I'm not sure how this became an Amla vs Ponting battle.

All i said was Amla hasn't converted which isn't good enough for a number 3 batsman.

There is no doubt that Ponting is a better batsman than Amla at the moment. He has been out of form for much of the year and still almost done as well as Amla.

breeno;305373 said:
Amla looking good.

It's weird the way they talk about 130km/h beinf medium pace. I can tell you, where I play, 130km/h is freakin quick!

i was thinking that yesterday, breeno. when mcdonald let one go at 132km/h or something, tony grieg commented "ah just another gentle medium pacer from mcdonald"
anything around 125km/h to 130km/h is pretty quick in our league haha

Jolldo87;305434 said:
He has been out of form for much of the year and still almost done as well as Amla.

Good point Jolldo87.

Ponting's head was being called for before the Boxing Day Test becuase he was out of form yet still nearly scored as many runs as Amla in the 2008 year.

If you're trying to some way imply that Amla is better than Ponting because he scored 36 runs more than him in 2008 you've got some sort of mental disability.

Ponting would've feasted on the Bangla bowlers.

307 in 3 tests in India, are you trying to big him up? It's only an average of 61, only 4 more runs more than Pontings CAREER average.

Badger;305378 said:
i was thinking that yesterday, breeno. when mcdonald let one go at 132km/h or something, tony grieg commented "ah just another gentle medium pacer from mcdonald"
anything around 125km/h to 130km/h is pretty quick in our league haha

Yeah, 125km/h is smoke in our league. But I suppose the more you face it the more accustommed you become to it. My mate who is a gun batsman (only 16), started facing our 120km/h bowler at training, now opens the batting for the seniors ones.

But I can guarantee you 125km/h isn't medium pace to me.

thommy_rissole;305438 said:
Good point Jolldo87.

Ponting's head was being called for before the Boxing Day Test becuase he was out of form yet still nearly scored as many runs as Amla in the 2008 year.

If you're trying to some way imply that Amla is better than Ponting because he scored 36 runs more than him in 2008 you've got some sort of mental disability.

Ponting would've feasted on the Bangla bowlers.

307 in 3 tests in India, are you trying to big him up? It's only an average of 61, only 4 more runs more than Pontings CAREER average.

All I did was prove that Amla has had a better year than Ponting.
When Did I say Amla was better ? Amla has only been on the scene for three years so I won't be making my mind up until the end of his career.

It turned in to Amla v Ponting becuase this bloke said Amla only had a better year because he played against bangladesh.

Well give up on the "This bloke started it stuff".

We're discussing the Test series, not making it an argument between two number 3's, if you wish to argue about that, then make a thread about it.

SA 4/110.

breeno;305452 said:
Well give up on the "This bloke started it stuff".

We're discussing the Test series, not making it an argument between two number 3's, if you wish to argue about that, then make a thread about it.

No it is because he keeps diagreeing with everything I say funnliy enough.;)

Moving on South Africa are 4-139 at lunch reequiring another 237 runs for victory.

I am not to sure whether they are playing for the draw.

I think the way Amla plays, there is an element of risk. He will always go for his shots if they are there, and with the way he plays, he is almost always going to get out; it's just a case of for how many.

But I agree with you, this one was the only one I consider to be weak, as they need to hang around, and as you said, not good enough from your number 3.

Back