South Africa in Australia

Re: South Africa in Australia

Jolldo87;305408 said:
Haurtiz gets Amla caught at bat pad for 59.

SA 4/110.

Haurtiz actually turned the ball. :eek:

Amla is a bit weak. He has made 3 50's in this series but couldn't get past 60. Not good enough from your number 3 batsman.

I can see what you think but played very well last year he should have converted one of the starts though.

Duminy out, LBW to Johnson.

really needed that wicket.

Need one more wicket before we get right into the tail.

Hashim Amla:

6 Test 100's
11 Test 50's
Conversion rate of 35.3%

Doesn't look too flash when compared to Ponting:

37 Test 100's
43 Test 50's
Conversion rate of 46.3%

A ratio of 1 century for 2 fifties is probably acceptable, but if Amla is going to be a world class number 3 he's going to have to get it up closer to 1:1 like Ponting

We weren't comparing anyone Grapedo, we were saying that he should be able to convert his starts more often.

Siddle gets the massive wicket of Boucher!!!

SA now 6/172.

Poor decision from the umpire. Really, really bad umpiring.

thommy_rissole;305423 said:
4 Tests against Bangladesh in 2008

292 Runs from 4 matches against Bangladesh, that's still another 1000-odd runs against the real teams, including 275 runs from 4 away tests against England

thommy_rissole;305423 said:
4 Tests against Bangladesh in 2008

Amla 33 Tests average 41
Ponting 127 Tests average 57

Amla :eek:

Amla 2008:
Bangladesh ( 4 matches) - 292 runs @ 58.40
India (3 matches)- 307 runs @ 61.40
England (4 matches) - 275 runs @45.83
Australia (3 matches) - 259 runs @ 51.80

So he has done reasonably well against everyone.

Amla V Ponting in 2008:
Amla 1271 runs @ 52.95
Ponting 1235 runs @ 45.74

a for effort;305427 said:
292 Runs from 4 matches against Bangladesh, that's still another 1000-odd runs against the real teams, including 275 runs from 4 away tests against England

And 307 in 3 away tests v india.

I'm not sure how this became an Amla vs Ponting battle.

All i said was Amla hasn't converted which isn't good enough for a number 3 batsman.

There is no doubt that Ponting is a better batsman than Amla at the moment. He has been out of form for much of the year and still almost done as well as Amla.

Jolldo87;305434 said:
He has been out of form for much of the year and still almost done as well as Amla.

Good point Jolldo87.

Ponting's head was being called for before the Boxing Day Test becuase he was out of form yet still nearly scored as many runs as Amla in the 2008 year.

If you're trying to some way imply that Amla is better than Ponting because he scored 36 runs more than him in 2008 you've got some sort of mental disability.

Ponting would've feasted on the Bangla bowlers.

307 in 3 tests in India, are you trying to big him up? It's only an average of 61, only 4 more runs more than Pontings CAREER average.

I know yeh! Victorian legend! Great game for him. I wonder if Smith will make an appearance with the bat?

thommy_rissole;305438 said:
Good point Jolldo87.

Ponting's head was being called for before the Boxing Day Test becuase he was out of form yet still nearly scored as many runs as Amla in the 2008 year.

If you're trying to some way imply that Amla is better than Ponting because he scored 36 runs more than him in 2008 you've got some sort of mental disability.

Ponting would've feasted on the Bangla bowlers.

307 in 3 tests in India, are you trying to big him up? It's only an average of 61, only 4 more runs more than Pontings CAREER average.

All I did was prove that Amla has had a better year than Ponting.
When Did I say Amla was better ? Amla has only been on the scene for three years so I won't be making my mind up until the end of his career.

It turned in to Amla v Ponting becuase this bloke said Amla only had a better year because he played against bangladesh.

Well give up on the "This bloke started it stuff".

We're discussing the Test series, not making it an argument between two number 3's, if you wish to argue about that, then make a thread about it.

breeno;305452 said:
Well give up on the "This bloke started it stuff".

We're discussing the Test series, not making it an argument between two number 3's, if you wish to argue about that, then make a thread about it.

No it is because he keeps diagreeing with everything I say funnliy enough.;)

Moving on South Africa are 4-139 at lunch reequiring another 237 runs for victory.

I am not to sure whether they are playing for the draw.

I'm not sure what more Siddle can do at the moment.

He just has to persist with what he's doing and hope they edge one.

Anyone watching on TV? Cricinfo is saying the sky is dark... any chance of batsmen taking the light?

Duminy out, LBW to Johnson.

really needed that wicket.

Need one more wicket before we get right into the tail.

Caesar;305668 said:
Anyone watching on TV? Cricinfo is saying the sky is dark... any chance of batsmen taking the light?

I doubt the light can be taken considering they played with the floodlights on Day 1.

Back