Twenty/20 - its here to stay

Re: Twenty/20 - its here to stay

timmyj51;127427 said:
Given a choice, any over-21 American will choose
cricket (assuming its in a marketable form) over soccer. Absolutely no
doubt about that.
please give me some of the ******** you are smoking....

kudu;127468 said:
ESPN may have dumped hockey, but Fox Sports, a major cable sports network in the US, does show hockey, aside from OLN. Why are you comparing Stanley Cup (US/Canada Championship) to FIFA Cup (World Championship)?? That makes no sense. Of course the viewership for Stanley Cup is going to less because the people in the US/Canada are the only ones interested. In the FIFA World Cup, you have a much bigger audience when you have all of the countries involved(much like the Olympics). FIFA Cup happens every 4 years, Stanley Cup happens every year. So what if hockey did not play for a year. Other US sports (ie MLB baseball) have had strikes before and moved on. So what if MLS builds a new stadium. Hockey has expanded and built new arenas as well. Do some research amigo. 20/20 is the way to go here in the US. It will not surpass hockey here in the US, but it does have potential down the road to go above soccer.
avg attendence figures for the NHL and MLS are pretty close. NHL is ahead by like 1500 people.

not saying that soccer is bigger then hockey in the USA, i just think it is closer then you think!

avg attendence figures for the NHL and MLS are pretty close. NHL is ahead by like 1500 people.

not saying that soccer is bigger then hockey in the USA, i just think it is closer then you think!

Avg. attendance for a game or for the season?? Soccer is played in stadiums, hockey in arenas. Therefore you have a seating capacity issue. Plus you have the issue of price for a ticket to go see a hockey game, compared to the cost to see a soccer game. Big bucks to go see a hockey game, $40 to go sit in the nose bleed section, and a lot more than that close to the ice. Cost to see a soccer game in the best seat in the house, probably $50. May be close in avg attendance, but there are many factors involved. Hockey wins, hands down.

kudu;127477 said:
Avg. attendance for a game or for the season?? Soccer is played in stadiums, hockey in arenas. Therefore you have a seating capacity issue. Plus you have the issue of price for a ticket to go see a hockey game, compared to the cost to see a soccer game. Big bucks to go see a hockey game, $40 to go sit in the nose bleed section, and a lot more than that close to the ice. Cost to see a soccer game in the best seat in the house, probably $50. May be close in avg attendance, but there are many factors involved. Hockey wins, hands down.
it was on wikipedia, which isn't the most trusted source because people can just edit the crap out of things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_league_attendances

i think they take the total # of people who attend for the whole year and divide it by the number of games

and yes there are many factors involved, besides attendence.

and for the record, I like hockey, I love the Blackhawks, and I want Bill Wirtz to die a horrible death

When you break it down into Americans and ex-pats, no matter where they are from, sure soccer wins over hockey, when it pertains to ex-pat attendance, not american attendance. With Cricket you will get a huge following of expat fans plus Americans who would definatley prefer 20/Twenty cricket hands down over soccer. Soccer lacks excitement and that is what americans love.

theswami;127479 said:
When you break it down into Americans and ex-pats, no matter where they are from, sure soccer wins over hockey, when it pertains to ex-pat attendance, not american attendance. With Cricket you will get a huge following of expat fans plus Americans who would definatley prefer 20/Twenty cricket hands down over soccer. Soccer lacks excitement and that is what americans love.
i thought Americans loved millions of TV timeouts, stop start action, and overtime!! :D

i thought Americans loved millions of TV timeouts, stop start action, and overtime!!

Funny you should say that because the majority of Americans don't watch the SuperBowl because of the game, especially if its between two teams that dont have a very big following, but watch it for the commercials. Go figure.

Bluto11;127482 said:
i thought Americans loved millions of TV timeouts, stop start action, and overtime!! :D

I'll tell you what they don't love is the ball going out of bounds every 30 seconds and play coming to a halt.

They do love big hits ( 4 & 6's) skillful fielding ( diving catches, boundary patrolling acrobatics, stumpings, long range accurate runouts, ) and fast, crafty, intimidating bowling.

A few obstacles do present themselves:

- The weather in some parts of the US is extremely unpredictable, but baseball deals with rainouts so not that big an issue.

- The Spirtit of the game being maintained. I don't need to remind anyone of the buffoonery that US athletes display on and off the field. But that could be one of the strong points as well. There is absolutley no better game for kids to learn than cricket both as a sport and as a philosophy.

kudu;127483 said:
Funny you should say that because the majority of Americans don't watch the SuperBowl because of the game, especially if its between two teams that dont have a very big following, but watch it for the commercials. Go figure.
the commercials are the best part!

unless of course, the Bears finally make it to another Super Bowl!

and for the record, I am American.

and swami, you sure that we don't love play coming to a halt ever 30 seconds? seems to be the standard MO for the most popular sports!!!!

i'm just poking some fun at myself and other americans. I would LOVE a 20/20 league in the USA.

timmyj51;127427 said:
Given a choice, any over-21 American will choose
cricket (assuming its in a marketable form) over soccer. Absolutely no
doubt about that.
What the?!?!
I don't understand, is this supposed to be a joke?
Americans are far more interested in soccer than cricket.
The possible $32 million signing of Beckham (and the coverage it's been getting today) is evidence enough of that.
Bluto11;127474 said:

Tough to compare those numbers, as its just for NHL vs MLS. NHL plays a much longer season, so they bring in a lot more fans over the course of a season.

On the other hand, that soccer number is for MLS matches only. Add in all the non-MLS matches that get huge attendances (like national team games, European summer exhibitions, and the many Mexican matches we get up here) and you'll see that there's a huge paying audience for soccer in the US, probably bigger than the hockey audience.

On the other hand, that soccer number is for MLS matches only. Add in all the non-MLS matches that get huge attendances (like national team games, European summer exhibitions, and the many Mexican matches we get up here) and you'll see that there's a huge paying audience for soccer in the US, probably bigger than the hockey audience.

OK. If you want to talk non-MLS, then what about non-NHL, and all the minor/junior hockey league teams/games that are here in the US?? Tons of them. Sorry my friend, hockey wins again, hands down.

i know, completely off topic but i hope LA gets Beckham. and no way will a typical 21 yr. old american choose cricket over soccer.

" and no way will a typical 21 yr. old american choose cricket over soccer."

Yes he would (IF cricket's presented in a way he can relate to). No
doubt about that.

kudu;127527 said:
OK. If you want to talk non-MLS, then what about non-NHL, and all the minor/junior hockey league teams/games that are here in the US?? Tons of them. Sorry my friend, hockey wins again, hands down.
i've been to many minor league hockey games (my cousin now plays for the Springfield MA AHL team, after stints in Houston and Philly), they are a strange experience, and yet people still go!

timmyj51;127556 said:
Yes he would (IF cricket's presented in a way he can relate to). No
doubt about that.

i can make a horse learn to deal cards, it's just if you present it in the correct way :rolleyes:

OK, screw 20/20 cricket here in the US. I have the answer to solve all the problems with cricket in the US...BaseCricketBall. Its a hybrid of baseball and cricket. Just like the movie BASEketball, made by Trey Parker and Matt Stone from South Park, where they combined basketball and baseball. Funny movie, if you haven't seen it. Come on, who else is with me on this?? I think I'm onto something here...:p

BigJeff;127554 said:
i know, completely off topic but i hope LA gets Beckham.
Isn't Beckham reported to be buying LA Galaxy?
and no way will a typical 21 yr. old american choose cricket over soccer.
I wouldn't say it was a fait accompli. I lived in L.A for 11 years and in Sacramento for 3 and I would argue that soccer has become a sought after sport. It is still (to my knowledge) seen as a sport for foreigners and I hardly think the US performance at the most recent world cup is going to entice any "non believers".

One thing I do agree with Timmy about is the take off of 20/20 in the US. Initially anyway. I'm not really flustered whether cricket takes off in the US or not, to us cricket nations, it's really a non issue, but if it was to happen, 20/20 would be the way to go to get it kick started.

kudu;127468 said:
Why are you comparing Stanley Cup (US/Canada Championship) to FIFA Cup (World Championship)?? That makes no sense. Of course the viewership for Stanley Cup is going to less because the people in the US/Canada are the only ones interested. In the FIFA World Cup, you have a much bigger audience when you have all of the countries involved(much like the Olympics).

I was only talking about TV viewing audience in USA. I'm not even including Canada in the argument, let alone rest of the world. When ESPN USA paid for TV rights of FIFA World Cup, they didn't care if all of Germany, China or Italy would be glued to TV watching the event. They were betting on American TV audience. And they got incredibly good ratings from American viewers for FIFA World Cup.

Including things like minor ice hockey leagues or NCAA (college) ice hockey in an attempt to make it look bigger than soccer in US is a non-starter. Non-MLS soccer blows away any of those events. Just a friendly match between Barcelona vs. Club America in Los Angeles can get so much gate receipts which make all those auxillary ice hockey events irrelevant. (And yes, it actually happened last summer.) Similar friendlies have drawn huge crowds in Chicago, Houston, New York etc. as well.

Apparently the biggest Mexican club derby between Chivas vs. Club America got record breaking TV ratings in Los Angeles, almost approaching NFL proportions. They don't even have an NFL team over there.

Including things like minor ice hockey leagues or NCAA (college) ice hockey in an attempt to make it look bigger than soccer in US is a non-starter. Non-MLS soccer blows away any of those events. Just a friendly match between Barcelona vs. Club America in Los Angeles can get so much gate receipts which make all those auxillary ice hockey events irrelevant. (And yes, it actually happened last summer.) Similar friendlies have drawn huge crowds in Chicago, Houston, New York etc. as well.

Soccer is played in stadiums, hockey in arenas. Big difference in seating capacity, as I have stated before. So what if "friendly matches" have drawn large crowds. You're talking about one single game, compared to many games being played, every night, in the US with regards to non-NHL. Does non-MLS in the US have minor/junior leagues the size of non-NHL?? NOPE! Why is that?? Because hockey is a much more exciting game than soccer and hockey is much more deeply rooted here in the US, thanks mainly to our buddies to the north. So if you want to call my argument an "attempt" to make hockey look bigger than soccer in the US, I think I'm spot on! Of course the ratings to the Chivas vs Club America in Los Angeles is going to be huge. LA's population is 90% latino. Put that same soccer game in Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, and see how many fans show up. Chicago, New York, Houston may have done well and that is in direct relation to the many different nationalities that live in those particular cities, who come from countries where soccer is popular.

And they got incredibly good ratings from American viewers for FIFA World Cup.

I understand you were talking about US viewership, and that is how I based my response. Why are you not including Canada in the argument?? You referenced OLN with regards to viewership failures and OLN is a Canadian cable network. When you have an event like FIFA, of course the viewership is going to increase because you have the WHOLE WORLD involved. Stanley Cup you only have two countries invloved. Plus the fact that FIFA is every 4 years compared to Stanley Cup every year, has a lot to do with viewership ratings because the anticipation of who will be the next champion, will be greater in FIFA compared to Stanley. So you are way out of line trying to compare viewership ratings of Stanley Cup to FIFA World Cup.

Hey settle down i was making the point that i dont think cricket or soccer will be mainstreem in the US meaning that when your average jo blo goes to the local tavern if he's talking about sport he'll probably be talking about Major League, NFL, NBA meaning that what i'm saying is that soccer or cricket will always have their place but not mainstreem. And i'm not trying to downgrade either sport just making an observation and like i say say it will take a lot of time, money and effort to establish a cricket presense in the US of which i dont think the ICC will undertake. Living in Australia you have seen the AFL try to market itself to sydneysiders but to get where they have gotten to its taken 25 years and a lot of money, do you think the ICC will be prepaired to impliment a strategy like this? I dont think so.

Back