WHAT HAPPENED

The first endurance car run on the rough track to Birdsville?
No mate. One vehicle and what it achieved was not soley in Australia. Think of what incredible feat pioneer aviator brothers Ross and Keith Smith achieved.

Last edited:
From where to where and by whom
Melbourne is one location. I told you bout Ross and Keith Smith, you guys obviously didnt check out this clue. They were ex Air Force Australian brothers who were the first to fly from England to Australia. They pioneered world aviation for those like Kingsford-Smith, Johnson and Earhart to follow.

Last edited:
It wasn't Clärenore Stinnes by any chance? She/They didn't start in London, though, did they?

or was it
the Le Mans 24-hour race won by a 3-litre Bentley? But you said it wasn't a race...:confused:

Last edited:
But this
It wasn't Clärenore Stinnes by any chance?
Excellent deduction but not the German lady because she was beaten to the feat by an Australian Francis Birtles who did it two years earlier but for some reason he has not been credited with the feat and Clarenore Stinnes was.
Birtles sets off on his 9 month trek on four wheels about half way thru the article.

Last edited:
for some reason he has not been credited with the feat and Clarenore Stinnes was.
No idea why he wasn't, all the more because Stinnes never set wheels (so to speak) on the 5th continent. Is that a circumnavigation of the world? I assume today it wouldn't count as one.

Last edited:
Australian cartoonist Warren Brown and a Telegraph newspaper mate are commemorating the Birtles expedition by re enacting it as I type these words. One wonders why they did not wait another two years then celebrate the centenary of the feat.

Last edited:
she was beaten to the feat by an Australian Francis Birtles who did it two years earlier but for some reason he has not been credited with the feat and Clarenore Stinnes was.
OK, I was wrong on London as the starting point. You know the stuff better than I do. :thumbsu:However, a quick glance at their journeys raises a couple of questions, e.g. if they can really be compared?
He travelled via Europe, Egypt, Persia (now Iran), India, Burma and Malaya amounting to 26,000 km whereas she travelled 46,000 km.
Isn't her route via the two Americas longer and closer to being regarded as a circumnavigation of the world? The Guinness Book of Records notes her as the first woman doing that. Who was the first man?
Birtles is referred to as the first man driving from England to Aus but not as someone circumnavigating the world. Is the Eng-AUS journey registered in the Guinness Book?
In your article it says "record-breaking". Whose record did Birtles break?

Back