WHO/WHAT AM I

You are a learned man so surprised you do not know the inventor of television, tho there was another that can lay claim to producing the precursor of the modern television, Paul Nipkow: a German researcher in 1884, some 40 years before the Scotsman. Being a fellow countryman more chance you'd know him.
A learned man? Don't sin against yourself. 🤗 As for TV, as often, it depends on your perspective. If you go back to mechanical TV, then Baird played a decisive role of whom I'd not heard. This may partly have been due to focusing on electronic TV and the first public demonstrations using a CRT given by Nipkow and von Ardenne in the thirties that these two names are associated with the real invention of TV that was potentially available for the masses. And partly, I admit, it may be the result of a biased education and the need to have a focus in Physics at school for twelve to 14 year-olds that von Ardenne was presented as the real inventor of modern TV, all the more so since he stayed in East Germany and acquired cult status.

A learned man?
As learned as I, am betting. You went to school like me. I never attended university, did you? I have always read a lot, you too? I think you are more articulate than me, more knowledgeable in certain subjects, namely cyber and hi tech.

Hi Thomas,

When did he live? 19th and 20th centuries

His nationality? Czech

What did he become famous for? For composing an opera or symphonies? Symphonies

Antonin Dvořák
That's correct Craig! Well done!

Thinking of our Tall Tales heading to America, so did Dvořák and all over Europe. My favourite work of his is his New World Symphony, composed in 1893 while he was the director of the National Conservatory of Music of America from 1892 to 1895.

Last edited:
Back