Eastern Cricket Association 2010/11 (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must be having a laugh, and if you were looking to keep your associated club under the radar, with this post, it has clearly outed you as a bear.

What are you basing this team on, because if it is statistics in Dunstan after their premier career, Hanson hasnt fired a shot and Hoare hasnt played a game.

Davo, Carey, Swift, Aldons & Street should be in.

Don't think he is a bear. If he was he would o'shay is actually spelt o'shea. But I do agree that team so wrong it is laughable. David alleyne at 9, he is a top order bat. I would say that you could put a better team on the park with the unlucky blokes

Hancock, this must be a post from his Dad Bryan - good bat nice bloke however not in the class of most of the names mentioned here.
long time reader, first time contributor. appreciate who ever did that side but would not have picked myself in any of the best 5 sides of the last 20 years i have floated around the ECA . Espically with guys like Wright, Aldons, Flintoff, Thompson, Harris , etc etc etc .. also pretty sure the old man has not mastered the internet. ... anyway good luck for what should be a great year of cricket in all grades (not just Dunstan)........

Anyone else heard the news that the Southern Churches comp may be joining the ECA next season?

Really? I played for Chadstone Harlequins for a couple of years in that comp and the standard is pretty average, not to mention they only play on Synthetic. So are they only joining the ECA Synthetic grade comps?

Any news on the state of the grounds/pitches at this stage? I think we've only got on in the first round in 2 of the past 10 season... What's our chances this year?

Any news on the state of the grounds/pitches at this stage? I think we've only got on in the first round in 2 of the past 10 season... What's our chances this year?

It's only an opinion and I'm really interested in what u all think. I based this team on reputations & match winning ability.

There have been some quality cricketers play at Dunstan level, and to fit all these class players into a XI is a very tough job. All on the list could justify being in this team. It's is great that we can have a healthy debate on this topic, and just like the AFL All-Aust team, will generate a positive and healthy discussion on the quality players the ECA can attract.
If you intend to put forward your ideas...please keep them positive and don't make personal attacks.

You only have to look at the list to say that we are fortunate that we have the chance to play with and against these quality cricketers. A big tick for the ECA to attract players of this quality.

In hindsight, I prob should have included Mustard (Bull) in the top 5 but it's hard to squeeze any of them out to make room for him.

Who would u leave out of my top 5?? And who would u bring in??

Look forward to seeing any names I have left off. Remember...keep this forum positive!!

It's only an opinion and I'm really interested in what u all think. I based this team on reputations & match winning ability.

There have been some quality cricketers play at Dunstan level, and to fit all these class players into a XI is a very tough job. All on the list could justify being in this team. It's is great that we can have a healthy debate on this topic, and just like the AFL All-Aust team, will generate a positive and healthy discussion on the quality players the ECA can attract.
If you intend to put forward your ideas...please keep them positive and don't make personal attacks.

You only have to look at the list to say that we are fortunate that we have the chance to play with and against these quality cricketers. A big tick for the ECA to attract players of this quality.

In hindsight, I prob should have included Mustard (Bull) in the top 5 but it's hard to squeeze any of them out to make room for him.

Who would u leave out of my top 5?? And who would u bring in??

Look forward to seeing any names I have left off. Remember...keep this forum positive!!

Who gives a toss whether blokes have played Premier cricket ot not. Many ex Premier players don't perform in the ECA. The pitches don't suit them or their heads are too big and they think it will just happen for them. The Turf team of the decade was picked last season and it was reasonably accurate. Trying to pick these type of teams is always fraught with difficulty.

Bring on the new season.

We are a week later than normal this season but with the weather over the last few days I don't like our chances. It will want to be dry all next week.

Who gives a toss whether blokes have played Premier cricket ot not. Many ex Premier players don't perform in the ECA. The pitches don't suit them or their heads are too big and they think it will just happen for them. The Turf team of the decade was picked last season and it was reasonably accurate. Trying to pick these type of teams is always fraught with difficulty.

Bring on the new season.

Couldn't agree more! Too often this forum turns into a conversation about who WAS good and who had an average 1 run better than someone else 10 years ago, probably a few secretly fluffing themselves up too. Whenever these conversations start it's always the same names that pop up. We all play in the same comp and we all know who the good players were/are, so instead of spliting hairs over who was better than who so blokes heads can grow a little more when they read the posts, why dont we talk about the current upcoming season and other current relevant issues...

Couldn't agree more! Too often this forum turns into a conversation about who WAS good and who had an average 1 run better than someone else 10 years ago, probably a few secretly fluffing themselves up too. Whenever these conversations start it's always the same names that pop up. We all play in the same comp and we all know who the good players were/are, so instead of spliting hairs over who was better than who so blokes heads can grow a little more when they read the posts, why dont we talk about the current upcoming season and other current relevant issues...
Someone buy this man a beer!!

Best Dunstan Shield team of the last 10 years made up of ex 1st class/district/premier cricketers (batting order):

1. Parsons (Deep)
2. Hanson (Deep)
3. Hancock (Maz)
4. Slack (Mulg)
5. Collingwood (Bull)
6. Roach (Ash)
7. Wilson (Cant)
8. Hargreaves (MA)
9. Alleyne (Deep)
10. Knight (Bull)
11. Hoare (Deep)...150 1XI games bowling heat surely earns his spot although yet to play a game
12. Thompson (ED)

Unlucky: Schlittler, Rowe (SH), Wright, Cary (MA), Aldons, Street, D Day, Ensil, Travaglia (Mulg), Lyons, Boyson, Judd, Tucket, Davidson, Mustard (Bull), Toriero (Haw), Cox, Swift, Bridgeman, Keble, Keogh, Ford (Ash), Drinkwell (Marc), Rossborough (AYC), Urritia, Connell (Burw), Blenner-Hassett (Bor), L Sturgess, O'Shay (Deep), Muckian (RC)

Any changes?? Any names missing??
For what it's worth, which probably isn't much, the best team for quality I think is (not in batting order):
1. Parsons
2. Collingwood
3. Cam Carey
4. Sean Cary
5. Phil Mustard
6. Trevaglia
7. Tim Ford
8. Roach
9. J Bradley
10. Aldons
11. Davidson

This team would destroy sides, I think

Here here. OK what about this. Who are the top 5 CURRENT players in the comp under 25. Or pick a team of current players who are around that age or younger.

Here here. OK what about this. Who are the top 5 CURRENT players in the comp under 25. Or pick a team of current players who are around that age or younger.

Geez! Young players... I can't actually think of many at all...

McDermott (GI) goes well with the bat, he's about 23yo I think. GI actually have a few good youngsters in their 2's side like Rajkumar & Jamieson, but playing 2's you can't obviously put them in a best XI. Crawford (skevs) would be young enough to qualify.

Geez! Young players... I can't actually think of many at all...

McDermott (GI) goes well with the bat, he's about 23yo I think. GI actually have a few good youngsters in their 2's side like Rajkumar & Jamieson, but playing 2's you can't obviously put them in a best XI. Crawford (skevs) would be young enough to qualify.
Laws from RC is a good bat and young, is skipper this year too I think.
Richards from AW is also a gun bat and has been around for a few years
McDermott from GI made a BIG score against ashy last year didnt he?
Gatehouse as well from GI is young.
Dinnosen from DB is a good young bowler
Alev from MUL is good keeper

Thats about it from my memory over the last few years, any youngsters from Boronia and Marcellin?

Thats about it from my memory over the last few years, any youngsters from Boronia and Marcellin?

U/25 GUNS:

Richards (Ash)
Slack (Mulg)
Keogh (NB)
Dinnoson (Deep)
Thomas (Maz)
Miller (MA)

Not 100% sure of age, but Hanson (Deep) is a star and Taylor (MA) also worthy of mention. Can't think of many more from this age group.

Keogh's a Pom and Slacky, Miller, Hanson and Taylor aren't anywhere near 25.

Looks like we play in a bit of an old mans comp! Half of the "gun" youngsters from school usually go to play for district clubs until they realise they aren't going to play for Australia and then they come back to their ECA clubs after their potential career has fizzled out... the other half simply can't be bothered and are too hung over on Saturday's to even considering wanting to play cricket.

Looks like we play in a bit of an old mans comp! Half of the "gun" youngsters from school usually go to play for district clubs until they realise they aren't going to play for Australia and then they come back to their ECA clubs after their potential career has fizzled out... the other half simply can't be bothered and are too hung over on Saturday's to even considering wanting to play cricket.
We do play in a bit of an old mans comp but I would suggest there are plenty of blokes under 25 that are good contributors and aren't that well known and/or their stats don't stand out yet. Many of these players are improving little by little every year. If clubs can hold on to them and they don't decide to either go to a district club or spend friday nights on the booze then these are the players that can build an era of success at a club rather than ex premier players chasing coin.

Marcellin had a very good young player Luke Baker who made some good runs for them last year. Unfortunately he went back to Perth. Still seem to rely a lot on the evergreen John Dineen (pretty sure he is not under 25!!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back