Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

I haven't completely given up with the Leg Break, I just feel that trying to get it by practicing on my own isn't working and that I need to have someone who knows what they're talking about have a look at what I'm doing and probably diagnose the problem as such. I was hoping to go along and have some one to one with the bloke at Calypso cricket but I can't afford it in the short term. But my captain of the team I play for is following my blog and I know prior to matches they always have an hour or so practicing and I reckon her may have a look at what I'm doing. Also because there's 2 weeks school holidays coming up and I'm not teaching I can get to our clubs net sessions over those 2 weeks and again another opportunity for him to have a look at what I'm doing wrong. I'm pretty certain he's up for having a look because he helped me out the last time I was able to get to the net sessions and I'm sure he'll be wanting to see if I followed his advice from last time.

So I haven't totally given up. I also found some contradictory points that I'd been following and I'm still confused about these. One being that as you release the ball on a leg break the palm of your hand is facing the batsman which to me makes sense, but somewhere else I'm sure I've heard Warnie say that the back of your hand should be facing you the bowler as you release the ball? Its' something I've got to look at and make sense of. I'll have a look now at the videos on line and see what is true. But I still reckon that if there's going to be a turning point it will be another Leggie looking at what I'm doing and saying "You're doing this and that wrong - try this" and then watching me to make sure I do it right.

I'd happily come to watch you but London is a tad too far ;)

If you can get a good quality recording of an over, from behind, side on and infront, then i could probably help

someblokecalleddave said:
I also found some contradictory points that I'd been following and I'm still confused about these. One being that as you release the ball on a leg break the palm of your hand is facing the batsman which to me makes sense

This is what I've always been told and it makes sense to me.

Yeah as soon as this weather clears up and we get a hint of sunshine and warm weather I have every intention of getting out there with the camera and recording what I'm doing so some of you can have a look at what I might be doing wrong.

With regards the hand position I'm almost certain you're right it is the plam of the hand that faces the batsman, I think the contradictory information was something I'd written down somewhere as notes when I was learning and I re-read it recently.

But I've just looked at the cloverdale clip on youtube and the appearance there is that the back of the hand is facing the bowler as it comes over but the hand is kind of facing the batsman at the very point where the ball leaves the fingers. So it could be I've been trying too hard to get the palm facing the batsman and screwing the whole thing up, because as my hand passes over my head I've been doing it so that my thumb is closest to me rather than the back of the hand?

Just looked at the Terry Jenner clip from the BBC and that's confused me further! I've also just gone through the action here indoors and realised that my whole bowling action is a lot more sideways biased rather than forward facing as it used to be and maybe that has some impact? I think in the video clip I posted on youtube someone had commented that my bowling action was possibly too "Sideways"?

hi, when i run up straight, i can bowl a good line and length but no spin but if i run up with an angle i get spin but wrong line and length, can someone help me?

Ripping-LegBreak said:
hi, when i run up straight, i can bowl a good line and length but no spin but if i run up with an angle i get spin but wrong line and length, can someone help me?

Common sense says that the reason you lose your line is because you're altering the angle that you're bowling at. It would probably also explain the change in length as well.

Haven't a clue why you seem to spin it more though, only thing I could suggest is that the change in angle means you're putting more revs on the ball.

If you could either post a video showing your action bowling both methods or get someone to spot you and point out the differences (if any) it may help you to pinpoint what it going on.

Yeah I have but not to any real affect. I did it in a game last year and it didn't make any difference, I think I did it to give the impression that I might be able to do something a bit special when in fact I did it out of desperation! But last week when I was practicing I came round the outside of the wicket bowling wrong uns to give the impression that ball was going to go wide past off but hopefully would have pitched and turned into the stumps around middle. That worked out okay but it was with no-one batting against me so I don't really know if that would have made it any more difficult to play against? Thinking about it I don't think it would have?

The reason I tried this initially was because bowling consistently over the wicket in damp condidtions was tearing up the grass and was becoming slippery. Last year I spent a couple practice sessions investigating the affects of grip on my bowling - bowling in trainers and spikes and discovered that there's potentially a massive difference in accuracy and speed. So during the last practice the reason I swapped sides was that it aforded me more grip.

Look at the blog entry last year - it mentions this on a superficial level and then goes on to talk about another idea I tried last year with some success that you might find interesting!

http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2007/05/6-days-to-go-bowling-blind-legspin.html

But going back to the original point - I think the surface you play on and the grip that you get especially as a spinner has an affect on your ability to bowl the ball accurately and with spin. As you go into the action of bowling energy is transferred through the body right from the feet right to the hand as you release the ball. This is obvious in that if you ever slip the smooth transfer of the energy is dirupted and the bowling needless to say is ineffective. So if therefore you practice on compact and stable grass surfaces as I do - the amount of power and accuracy is potentially fully utilised if wearing your usual spikes. If you wear trainers or the surface is crumbly some of the usual transfer of power is then compromised as it's absorbed in the "slip" caused by the broken up surface or slippery trainers.

Hence the reason I chose to go round the wicket on the not so worn grass to give myself more grip and potential.

What do you reckon? :)

Having just written that - I'm now sitting here thinking - is this part of the reason that I'm crap when playing for my team, but good when I practice. Because the surface and grip has some bearing on what I do?

More and more I wear spikes, but last season I wore "Rubbers" (I take it you mean shorter rubber spikes) and this was on fairly crumbly dry wickets which means I may have been deficient in grip in comparison with my practice wicket - or does this sound like I'm making excuses for myself? ::)

freddiw said:
I bowl left arm leggies and turn the ball a fair way

my question is just how to improve off season what can i do :confused:

Get to your local park, get a friend to wicket keep and practise hitting the right line and length all day long.

someblokecalleddave said:
More and more I wear spikes, but last season I wore "Rubbers" (I take it you mean shorter rubber spikes) and this was on fairly crumbly dry wickets which means I may have been deficient in grip in comparison with my practice wicket - or does this sound like I'm making excuses for myself? ::)

You may have a point, I've never really bowled much spin outdoors but I know how much it can play on your mind if you think you're going to slip as you run up to bowl. If I've slipped on my approach to the wicket, I'll either bowl around the wicket in the hope of finding dry\firmer ground or widen the angle of my approach (neither are ideal though).

Though it comes down to personal choice, I would recommend wearing spikes 100% of time if you're going to bowl.

freddiw said:

Ask yourself 'What do I want to achieve?' and then work towards that goal. It may be that you want created consistency, better accuracy or more variety in your bowling. Whatever it is, set yourself targets and practice, keep a log to track your progress and adjust those aims as you meet them.

Seek the advice of a mentor or coach, get them to look at you once a month to assess where you are - this can really reap rewards.

Out of season - if you can't practice on grass, buy a bag of slazenger Hockey balls (www.newitts.com). They're virtually cricket ball sized, they're dimpled so you get some grip on them and they weigh 5.5oz and bounce similarly to a cricket ball and are brilliant for practicing on concrete/tarmac etc.

As Tom says above set yourself some goals e.g. learn to pitch the ball consistently in a small area and get really good at it.

freddiw said:

Work on Ur fitness and practice "Spot Bowling" alongwith Ur friend in the nearby park.
As Dave mentioned;the Hockey balls(preferably Red Colour) will do and practice with them after getting a feel like the cricket ball.
Are u the same guy who asked abt grip strengthening exercises?

I've just got back from a net session with my team and it was such a good session. I work normally on Tuesday night so can never get along but tonight was one of the three night I'm able to this year and the last one will be next week. But I bowled okay - nice and straight being able to put the ball where I wanted it pretty much and getting it to turn - even the Flippers were doing what they do in practice (Turn to leg). I had some of our players all over the shop especially with the wrong uns. But the good thing was seeing our second best Leg Spinner having a bad session - he was hitting the nets and dragging the ball down and all sorts and it just goes to prove on some days it just doesn't come together and this is a bloke who they're saying is going to get 40 wickets this summer!

I also bowled against our best batsman and he did wallop me all over the shop - but I also got some dirty edges that may have been caught. But at the end of the session he said I was doing really well with my line and length but need to increase my speed by about 5mph. Any suggestions? I kind of feel that the increase in speed may be at the expense of the accuracy?

I've not got time now as i'm hitting the midnight oil with this assignment work for college, BUT;

If you quicken your feet on approach to the crease it usually notches up a few MPH, also gradually speeding your arm up on turn over works. Its all about doing it MPH by MPH. Without losing accuracy. Preferably you dont wanna fall back on speed, you want to win whilst its in the air fizzing and spitting.

Has your club got a speed-o-meter?

Yea this is,

the issue is that I cannot just bowl at a marker.
It doesnt work for me as I dont know whether I am doing the right things in the air and I need that challenge of going against the batsmen

Are there any workouts that could help my bowling in general

dave can you post a vid??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back