South Africa in Australia

Re: South Africa in Australia

eddiesmith;312379 said:
That was one of the worst run chases I have seen, it nearly came off but really very stupid play in the middle, they could have won easily

Agreed.

Kallis and De Villiers didnt seem fazed by the increasing RR.

Perhaps they thought they would cruise to victory without doing any hard work in the middle.

With Clarke out for the rest of the ODI's, is Warner the player that should come into the team or is there other players that can come in?

In fear of NSW actually producing a decent pitch for the final, yes he should stay in the ODI team, they could probably find room for a few other NSW players, Huss and White I'm sure wouldnt mind missing the next couple of ODIs and coming back for the Kiwis :p

Great game, loved it.

The opener's spot really is a tricky one. Warner is a slogger but with Marsh digging in deep for a tough innings at one end maybe that's what we need? Or do we find another genuine opener? I don't know. Katich maybe?

No thanks to Katich, whilst he has been a gun in the Tests he was very ordinary in the last One Day games he played.

Good win by Australia, they were about 40 runs short of what they should have made but the bowlers really did it for them. Bracken is the best one-day bowler in the world and has been for some time. Hilfenhaus is an excellent new ball option but should probably be refrained from bowling at the death. David Hussey is a more than competent off-break bowler and Hopes did a good job today.

South Africa's bowlers did well in the second half of their innings after Australia failed to capatalise on their start. Their batting at the moment is too slow. Amla and Gibbs crawled along and Kallis and de Villiers weren't urgent enough when they needed to be.

Topsy turvy stuff, has been all summer. Been a pretty good one all round in my opinion.

eddiesmith;312358 said:
SA have ****ed it up, Kallis and DeVilliers lost them the game

They weren't helped by Gibbs and Amla early on. 1/27 from ten overs is a very poor start in any one-day cricket game at this level.

eddiesmith;312379 said:
That was one of the worst run chases I have seen, it nearly came off but really very stupid play in the middle, they could have won easily

Ahem. ;)

Cricinfo - New South Wales v Victoria at Sydney, Jan 17, 2009

postmanpav;312441 said:
What about Dom Thornley?

Middle order player only. Warner's only had a handful of games to prove himself, I'd give him a couple more to show what he has before giving him the axe.

Warner has talent, he just doesn't have the all-round game at the moment. One-day cricket isn't all bash and crash, you have to have the ability to score the ones and two and rotate the strike rather than just hit fours and sixes.

If Warner fails to impress, I'd try Hussey at opener again and bring in Marcus North. If White can't make some runs I'd also drop him too.

Got to give Warner more than one chance.

Okay yes he is a slogger but if he gets his eye in and hits 50-60 real quick the pressure is off. Conversely if he gets out quickly then Ponting will steady the ship as he always does and then M.Hussey.

Looking forward to the next ODI, should be another corker.

Very dull game IMO. Neither side were at their best and it will mak for an interesting series now. A bit more uregency from the South African batsman next time would be appreciated. Also Australia really need to capitalise on their starts and work on keeping the 5 over powerplay to a minimum. SOuth Africa needed 56 from the last 5 and fell just short of victory something that could come back to bite Australia if it is not rectified.

grapedo;312464 said:
Very dull game IMO. Neither side were at their best and it will mak for an interesting series now. A bit more uregency from the South African batsman next time would be appreciated. Also Australia really need to capitalise on their starts and work on keeping the 5 over powerplay to a minimum. SOuth Africa needed 56 from the last 5 and fell just short of victory something that could come back to bite Australia if it is not rectified.

It's called a powerplay for a reason, the bowlers at the death did a good job and 56 from 5 doesn't really show that.

Was a great, exciting game today.

Just like Friday night except we managed to hold on for a win.

Has been an awesome series, 50 over cricket lives!!

breeno;312471 said:
It's called a powerplay for a reason, the bowlers at the death did a good job and 56 from 5 doesn't really show that.

Well they are obviously going wrong somewhere because South Africa have conceded less runs in the powerplays and haven't done anything special with the ball IMO. So obviously they need to rectify the problem somehow whether it is by setting better fields and getting to know the games of the agressive south african batsman or whatever but it does need to be rectified there is no doubt about that.

Biggie;312474 said:
Was a great, exciting game today.

Just like Friday night except we managed to hold on for a win.

Has been an awesome series, 50 over cricket lives!!

I think many people underestimated the skill of the south african odi team when they predicted that Australia would win the series with ease.

What happened in England would attest to the opinions of most, me included.

Played so very well in the Test seriesand then got slammed in the ODI series.

Good chance to go 2-1 up on Friday now. Its exciting cricket, definitely not dull and boring. @|

Biggie;312486 said:
What happened in England would attest to the opinions of most, me included.

Played so very well in the Test seriesand then got slammed in the ODI series.

Good chance to go 2-1 up on Friday now. Its exciting cricket, definitely not dull and boring. @|

I said today's match was dull, I didn't say it was boring and it was very dull.

I thought South Africa were in a form slump during the England odi series but I wasn't a member to announce it.

eddiesmith;312379 said:

Agreed.

Kallis and De Villiers didnt seem fazed by the increasing RR.

Perhaps they thought they would cruise to victory without doing any hard work in the middle.

With Clarke out for the rest of the ODI's, is Warner the player that should come into the team or is there other players that can come in?

Back