South Africa in Australia

Re: South Africa in Australia

SA could use him in the field though, Boucher is a big loss regardless of who comes in to replace him behind the stumps.

fmr_13;316002 said:
SA could use him in the field though, Boucher is a big loss regardless of who comes in to replace him behind the stumps.

Not as big a loss of Bracken though.

South Africa can play the same without Boucher, but many people including myself are doubting Australia can play the same without Bracken.

grapedo;316017 said:

South Africa can play the same without Boucher, but many people including myself are doubting Australia can play the same without Bracken.

Nothing Tait can't fix:cool:

grapedo;316017 said:

South Africa can play the same without Boucher, but many people including myself are doubting Australia can play the same without Bracken, Lee, Clarke, Watson and Symonds.

Edited for accuracy.

Jolldo87;316152 said:
Those commentators were talking about Gibbs like he is one of the best batsman ever.

He's a good batsman but there are many better. They don't get that carried away when commentating about Ponting, Kallis and others. Just because he hits boundaries doesn't mean they have to go crazy about him.

They do get pretty carried away about Ponting mate.

They hate Kallis.

And Gibbs is more of a what if story. If he was more consistent through out his career imagine the things he could have achieved. You only need to see a few of his best innings to see the freakish talent the man had on his day.

I can see him taking 5 for though.

I wish we bowled first, so Tait could hurt De Villiers again, then RSA have no wicket keeper.

Jolldo87;316197 said:
Before you start Grapedo, you were right, i was wrong. :)

Thank you glad to hear it. :)

But I hope South Africa win 4-1 that would be a complete reversal of your prediction Jolldo.

But On the mighty proteas a new era has definitley begun in World cricket. I wonder where this will leave them in the odi rankings.

Australia have lost two early wickets here, but they have a comfortable run rate ATM. Hussey and Ponting can not afford to go in their shells here. This pitch is a belter and they need to set something close to 300.

Biggie;316221 said:
Grats to SA.

Ype definitley soething that will go into the folktail of world cricket. How Australia were pushed off the pedestal with a big defeat on home soil. Well done to the proteas. Great team.

Kram81;316085 said:
Didn't even appeal properly when he caught Ponting :)

Well he appealed and it was out. He has been keeping well and unforunatley for you a keeper is judged on his wicket keeping skill not how convincing his appeal is.

Middle order is still very shaky. Australia are missing Clarke badly and they're lucky he's coming back for the series against New Zealand otherwise Australia would be likely to lose that also.

Some poor shot selection today, Warner's was a horrible, horrible shot, that was an amateurish grade-cricket type slog. Marsh was unlucky, Ponting won't forgive himself for being caught at short cover again. Hussey brothers aren't up it to it at the moment, I wonder how long before their places in the side come under scrutiny? White had his best chance in a long time to show us what he can do and could only make 30. Hopes was probably Australia's best player today and Haddin is struggling for runs.

Very ordinary effort, bowling wasn't much better either with Hopes the only one to stop the bleeding. But, I suppose this is a period of transition for Australia and the cricket world will no longer see Australia exert total dominance over every single cricketing nation which has been a regular occurance in the past.

However, with the batters failing to do much in the series (with the exceptions being Marsh and maybe Ponting) they will come under the spotlight soon enough and only so many chances will be granted. I will wait until after the New Zealand series before judging who should be the in the side and who shouldn't but there are a couple of guys who need to start performing if they want to go on the one-day (and maybe even test) tours to South Africa and then England. It may almost be worth considering to blood a couple of players against the Kiwis just to see how they go.

Full credit to South Africa though, they were too good again, they made the most of the mistakes by the Australians and took full advantage.

Yeah Warner has a gift in being a nice clean striker of the ball but that shot was an absolute joke, thought he had learned his lesson in Sydney after looking more measured yet still aggresive.

I know Haddin's natural game is to go for it but at the situation we were in that shot was terrible.. M.Hussey is having a bad summer but just needs some luck to go his way
and he should be right. Dave has been ok without being all that great.

NZ although a very average side talent wise are often greater than the sum of their parts. Love to play Australia and it wont be easy to beat them at all, need to improve and soon.

This is a woeful batting performance by Australia, will be lucky to last the 50 overs.

Kram81;316333 said:
Yeah Warner has a gift in being a nice clean striker of the ball but that shot was an absolute joke, thought he had learned his lesson in Sydney after looking more measured yet still aggresive.

I know Haddin's natural game is to go for it but at the situation we were in that shot was terrible.. M.Hussey is having a bad summer but just needs some luck to go his way
and he should be right. Dave has been ok without being all that great.

NZ although a very average side talent wise are often greater than the sum of their parts. Love to play Australia and it wont be easy to beat them at all, need to improve and soon.

NZ could trouble Australia if they play good enough. McCullum is a very good hitter of the ball and Australia might struggle to contain him if he gets going, the same could apply to Jacob Oram if he tours. Albie Morkel has had it all over Australia with the bat when he has come to the crease and Oram has the potential to do the same should he get an opportunity. With Australia's bowling looking below par at the moment there is a reasonable chance that New Zealand could match it with Australia although I did say that they could cause a few problems in the test series and they were thrashed 2-0.

The Kiwi bowling attack doesn't look all that threatening though with the exception of Vettori. Mills and Gillespie always seem to go for runs against the Aussies, Southee's still young and Oram is more of a container rather than a genuine wicket-taker.

Could be a close series though if NZ can play well.

grapedo;316089 said:
Well he appealed and it was out. He has been keeping well and unforunatley for you a keeper is judged on his wicket keeping skill not how convincing his appeal is.

He was joking, no need to be so sour.

Australia would have to put on some of their worst all time performances to lose to the Kiwis

Be interesting to see if there are any changes for the final game, NZ series starts Sunday so they may use the NZ squad in the last match, so does Symonds, Siddle, Clarke etc come back now or during the NZ series? Hopefully they allow Siddle to play for the Vics this week to get some match practice before South Africa

Also if they use the NZ squad it allows those dropped to go back to their states with the next round of games beginning Friday

grapedo;316089 said:

umpire said not out. couldnt see the hot spot either

I think they should look at bringing an in form domestic middle order player into the odi side. Guys like, Klinger, Hodge and Vofes should all be considered especially Hodge IMO.

Also South Africa will rehain the muber 1 odi ranking with a win in perth if not they will have to capture both rankings on the return tour.

grapedo;316448 said:
I think they should look at bringing an in form domestic middle order player into the odi side. Guys like, Klinger, Hodge and Vofes should all be considered especially Hodge IMO.

Also South Africa will rehain the muber 1 odi ranking with a win in perth if not they will have to capture both rankings on the return tour.

Hodge is looked past way to much. He definately deserves a shot.

Those commentators were talking about Gibbs like he is one of the best batsman ever.

He's a good batsman but there are many better. They don't get that carried away when commentating about Ponting, Kallis and others. Just because he hits boundaries doesn't mean they have to go crazy about him.

mid wicket;316468 said:
Hodge is looked past way to much. He definately deserves a shot.

Yeah agreed. They need stability in the middle order he is the perfect player for it. They should drop White for Hodge bat Hodge at 4 and everyone else moves down a spot.

Also I think if Warner dosen't have a good innings in Perth he should be left alone for a while until he well and truly finds his feet.

grapedo;316478 said:
Yeah agreed. They need stability in the middle order he is the perfect player for it. They should drop White for Hodge bat Hodge at 4 and everyone else moves down a spot.

Also I think if Warner dosen't have a good innings in Perth he should be left alone for a while until he well and truly finds his feet.

Yeah I reckon a few more games at a lower level to build himself up would be a smart investment.

And spot on with the Hodge idea.

mid wicket;316483 said:
Yeah I reckon a few more games at a lower level to build himself up would be a smart investment.

And spot on with the Hodge idea.

Thanks. :D

Yeah Warner definitley needs a few seasons of domestic cricket until he gets another call up. He just needs to get some better defensive mechanisms in his game, Gilly was a very good striker of the ball but he could always play himself into an innings correctly where as Warner seems to just smash everything from the beginning.

grapedo;316487 said:
Thanks. :D

Yeah Warner definitley needs a few seasons of domestic cricket until he gets another call up. He just needs to get some better defensive mechanisms in his game, Gilly was a very good striker of the ball but he could always play himself into an innings correctly where as Warner seems to just smash everything from the beginning.

Move over Hilditch

grapedo; Australia's new selector.

mid wicket;316490 said:
Move over Hilditch

grapedo; Australia's new selector.

Haha :D

I don't know how many members of this forum would be happy with that.

I would give Clarke the captaincy in a new era though so they would be calling for my head from the start.

But as my first move I will sack the current selectors and replce them with mid wicket, Jolldo87 and Warney. :D

Back