South Africa in Australia

Re: South Africa in Australia

I am following the match online as i write this post, the proteas are in serious trouble and look like conceding a lead of close to 200 runs, that will be a huge barrier to surpass and as good as they are, i don't think another 400+ chase is going to be easy on this MCG wicket.

Hello and welcome!

I would say you're spot on there. If Australia do go on to win this game, then it makes the final test in Sydney a real humdinger.

Wait until the 2nd innings from each team. If the Aussies lose all their wickets tomorrow then South Africa will still be in it.
It's the pitch playing tricks on the batsmen.

schwab2clarkson;300059 said:
Wait until the 2nd innings from each team. If the Aussies lose all their wickets tomorrow then South Africa will still be in it.

And if South Africa lose all their wickets in the second innings then we'll win.

It's the pitch playing tricks on the batsmen.

You're unbelievable. Instead of giving credit to the "young and inexperienced" Australians you blame the pitch.

South Africa 7/198 at stumps.

A fantastic day for Australia. We need to bowl them out reasonably quickly tomorrow and then get a massive lead.

You'd have thought that Australia would be looking at least a lead of 150, possibly 175 (if it went really well during the first session).

If South Africa get it to under a 100 then it may well put some pressure back on, especially with the previous test and that chase of 400 still fresh (well, reasonably fresh) in the minds of both teams.

Of course, it's a different pitch, attack and game but as they say a lot of cricket is played in the mind.

It's no coincidence most, if not all of our wickets came when Lee wasn't in the attack. He just completely releases the pressure.

Smith's wicket came from sustained pressure from Siddle, Johnson and Hauritz

He was going at 5 an over, which as you said really does take the pressure off. Not sure what has gone wrong with Lee. Sure his marriage break up (am I correct in saying that?) would have had an effect but you have to leave your problems in the dressing room and get on with the game.

He touched the late 140kph today, so it's not that he's totally lacking pace but something seems missing.

Another days play of exciting test cricket. This is one of the best series i have seen in the last 5 years.

The day started off well for Australia with Brett Lee providing good support and Clarke looking better than the previous day. After adding 40 odd runs to the overnight total Lee was finally caught by Kallis at second slip off the bowling of steyn. Johnson then came out and didn't last long getting an inside edge on to the stumps off Steyn again. Hauritz looked good for a while and helped clarke propell the score past 350 but was caught by Smith at first slip which the ball only just carried. Peter Siddle was looking good with 19 and it looked like Clarke would get a tonne and Australia would score400 +. But it wasn't to be when Ab De Villiers took another good catch of the bowling of Kallis to dismiss Siddle for 19 and Australia were bowled out for 394.

mas cambios;300086 said:
He was going at 5 an over, which as you said really does take the pressure off. Not sure what has gone wrong with Lee. Sure his marriage break up (am I correct in saying that?) would have had an effect but you have to leave your problems in the dressing room and get on with the game.

He touched the late 140kph today, so it's not that he's totally lacking pace but something seems missing.

He was looking better than I have seen him for a while this morning, bowling in the late 140's and showing some venom.

When he didn't get the breakthrough though, he just started leaking runs.

South Africa then came out after Lunch and Mckenzie was bowled by Siddle who in a surprise move got the new ball. Amla and Smith both looked set and took the score out to 40 until Amla tryed to smash a short ball from Johnson and Symonds didn't need to move. Kallis and Smith rebuilt the innings some what but Kallis was dismissed in the last over before tea whenn he attempted to sweep Hauritz and was caught behind. De Villiers came out and struggled to get off the mark. But Siddle removed a set Graeme Smith for 62. He got a wide delivery which he tried to hit through cover. De Villiers went soon after as he got bowled by Siddle the ball just clipping the off bail. Boucher only scored 3 runs until he tryed an agressive sweep to Hauritz and hit it straight to Hussey at square leg. South Africa were 6 - 141 and it appeared they wouldn't avoid the follow on. But Morkel stuck with a classy Duminy for 41 runs until he was bowled off a mitchell Johnson yorker. Harris looked incredibly shaky but scored a few and Duminy was happy to rotate the stroke so they avoided the follow on.
South Africa finished up at 7 - 198 at stumps. I think If Duminy can get support from Harris, Steyn and Ntini he will be able to reduce the lead substantially.

I watched the rest of the match and thought that South Africa are struggling with the pitch because it is playing tricks on them.
Peter Siddle is awesome.

schwab2clarkson;300125 said:
I watched the rest of the match and thought that South Africa are struggling with the pitch because it is playing tricks on them.
Peter Siddle is awesome.

And why did Australia bat so well on it then?

Good summary once again grapedo. @|

How do you rate your chances of getting at least a draw in this match?

Back