South Africa v Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas cambios

South Africa v Pakistan

South Africa in Pakistan Series Preview

Fresh from suffering a morale sapping defeat at the hands of their closest rivals, Pakistan must pick themselves up quickly for the arrival of the touring South Africans.

Comprising of two tests and 5 one day internationals this series will hopefully give an indication of where both teams are, especially as both sides seem to be equally adept at providing just as many off the field headlines as on.

The home side will hope to see an end to recent squabbles and look to build upon the promising captaincy of Shoaib Malik (odd dodgy comment aside). Coupled with the newly installed Lawson, together they seem to have the stabilising effect which has been so lacking from recent Pakistan sides.

Despite their apparent strength in the bowling department with the likes of Asif, Gul and Kaneria; the batting line up will be under pressure to perform as a unit, especially as they will be without the heavyweight duo of Inzamam-ul-Haq and Mohammad Yousuf.

Over on the other side we have a solid looking South Africa who will also be able to welcome back a refreshed Jacques Kallis, as well as a number of players (Hashim Amla and Ashwell Prince amongst them) from the recent ‘A’ team tour to India.

In many ways South Africa are the polar opposite of Pakistan in that they will able to call upon the batting strength of captain Smith, Gibbs, Kallis and De Villiers yet rely on a somewhat average or untested attack once the quality of Pollock and Ntini have been seen off. This tour will also provide another glimpse of Paul Harris, as South Africa continue their desperate search for a test quality spinner.

Time will tell whether the number of recent international retirements are going to come back to haunt South Africa and if the Pakistan board feel the need to concede and bring Yousuf back from the ICL wilderness. What is certain is that we should see a keenly fought contest especially as Pakistan will be keen to make amends for the 2-1 defeat earlier in the year and even more so for the drubbing in the one day series.

Fixtures

September 2007

Thu 27 - Sat 29
10:00 local, 05:00 GMT Patron's XI v South Africans
National Bank of Pakistan Sports Complex, Karachi

October 2007

Mon 1 - Fri 5
10:00 local, 05:00 GMT 1st Test - Pakistan v South Africa
National Stadium, Karachi

Mon 8 - Fri 12
10:00 local, 05:00 GMT 2nd Test - Pakistan v South Africa
Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore

10:30 local, 05:30 GMT TBC v South Africans
Bagh-e-Jinnah, Lahore
date tbc

Thu 18 Floodlit Match
11:00 local, 06:00 GMT 1st ODI - Pakistan v South Africa
Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore

Sat 20 Floodlit Match
11:00 local, 06:00 GMT 2nd ODI - Pakistan v South Africa
Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore

Tue 23 Floodlit Match
11:00 local, 06:00 GMT 3rd ODI - Pakistan v South Africa
Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad

Fri 26 Floodlit Match
11:00 local, 06:00 GMT 4th ODI - Pakistan v South Africa
Multan Cricket Stadium

Mon 29 Floodlit Match
11:30 local, 06:30 GMT 5th ODI - Pakistan v South Africa
National Stadium, Karachi

Re: South Africa in Pakistan

Probably best to chuck in the fixtures to that wonderful preview.

mod edit: your wish is my command ;)

i am looking forward to this, Pakistan are on the up and will beat these south africans with ease.

i have heard that yousuf will play some part in this series.

Mohammad Yousuf has agreed to cancel his contract with the Indian Cricket League (ICL) and opted instead to represent Pakistan after talks with Nasim Ashraf, chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board.

"I had a fruitful meeting with Yousuf today and he has signed a central contract with the PCB after agreeing not to play in the ICL," Ashraf said. "He is now available to represent Pakistan. He is the backbone of Pakistan's batting and we are happy that he is back."
From Cricinfo

Thankfully it seems that Mohammad Yousuf has seen some sense and decided to come back to the test team. It should mean that he will be available for the first test on Monday and will help to shore up a thin looking batting line up.

It's thought that a clause in the ICL contract stating that players must give priority to the league over international matches had some part to play in his 'u' turn.

What this means for the ICL is anyone's guess, especially coming so soon after the announcement that the league was being pushed backed to November.

Good news for Pakistan. He was in Bradmanesque form last season. They would be hoping that he continues from where he left off.

Re: South Africa v Pakistan

In a somewhat shock move, Shaun Pollock has been dropped for first time in his career.

The official line is that he is still a major part of the SA team but his effectiveness on sub-continent pitches is no longer up to the required standards. They expect him to play at home and on other suitable pitches though.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a shoddy way to treat the mainstay of your attack for the last 6/7 years. He came back well from a lean spell to lead the attack once again; and to not even be given a chance is wrong.

I guess time will tell if it was the right move!

Pollock thankfully back into the squad it seems!

And Amir, i think Sky Sports will show it, maybe!

Javed Miandad is criticizing Yousuf for reaching an agreement with PCB and betraying the ICL.

"How can they (the Pakistan board) allow Yousuf to sign a contract in vague knowing he is already signed on by the ICL? Where is the fair play and veracity? What message are we giving out to the world about our players?," Miandad was quoted as saying to PTI.
Source: Cricinfo

Yousuf did the right thing in my opinion although he shouldn't have signed the contract with ICL if he desired to play for Pakistan. Meanwhile ICL have said that they are ready to let Yousuf play for Pakistan if their matches clash with ICL's schedule.

South Africa won the toss and elected to bat in the first test, against Pakistan.

Steady start by the openers who have reached 80 without loss. No place for Pollock in the team.

pollock is such a good bowler... south africa are stupid to drop him... he bowls welll in every condition... they dont have bowlers which bowl better than pollock... kallis shown today that he is very good batsman and it was stupid to drop him for 20 20

Good day for South Africa, pitch looks dead though.

Amla played a decent knock but player of the day was Kallis with his 25th test ton.

South Africa finish on 294-3 at stumps.

Kallis goes for 155 but SA are still in a strong position at 350-4. Will be looking to put 500 on the board.

This game has draw written all over it as neither team has a match winning spinner.

South Africa didn't manage to reach 500. They would be feeling that they missed out. Pakistan haven't done well with the bat so far. 5 wickets down and need 130 runs to avoid the follow on. Its not looking good for them.

See i still think Pakistan might do it.

I think SA seem to always score big 1st Innings then havent got anything left for the 2nd. I can see Pakistan reaching the total required for bat again, and go on for another may 100 runs?

Overall most likely draw, but i reckon Pakistan will bat out a quick, famous victory here!

You seem to be way too optimistic. Its possible for Pakistan to avoid the follow-on but I doubt that they would be able to win the match. Its either a draw or a win for South Africa. South Africa will have to bat poorly in their second innings to lose this one.

Pakistan did well to get South Africa out for 450 but then didnt bat well.i dont understand why yousuf didnt play this match

I'm a dumbfounded as you Deer, you'd think a guy whos argueably the best Asian cricketer at this time doesnt need much batting practise to hit good form, but its his decision and he's seeing Pakistan fail.

South Africa making 450 needed Pakistan to make atleast 300 for under 5 wickets, and its hard to say that 127/5 can convert to anything near 300+ but i think Malik and Rehman might just start a rivival. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back