WHO/WHAT AM I

I saw Vince say Daniel Boone. Glad the site's up again.
Bother, I was closing in! Even asking Dr Google. I should have asked my shrill AI lady companion copilot called Bing. Gawwwd! What a silly name!

I loved reading about early American (US) history and loved James A Michener's novels despite their epic lengths.

I'm not surprised that DDR showed Daniel Boone series. There were many attempts in those days to share cultural materiels. I cannot remember the details, but our government TV channel (ABC) showed for a while some children's cartoons from East Germany in the mid 1970s. Just action and music - no dialog. It was harmless stuff, of course; and I think we broadcast it here because it was effectively free. Even our conservative gov of the times could afford a few ostmark.

I'm not surprised that DDR showed Daniel Boone series. There were many attempts in those days to share cultural materiels. I cannot remember the details, but our government TV channel (ABC) showed for a while some children's cartoons from East Germany in the mid 1970s. Just action and music - no dialog. It was harmless stuff, of course; and I think we broadcast it here because it was effectively free. Even our conservative gov of the times could afford a few ostmark.
Exactly right, Vince Vince . A direct swap was most welcome. Yet what to show and what not used to be unpredictable for everyone, and decisions were based on several factors such as the price to be paid in hard currency. Sometimes a direct exchange was possible, sometimes the price was paid in kind. As for me it's particularly hard to predict what I might have seen since I watched West German TV most of the time which is why I have at least seen a fair number of films and shows that others, like my wife, did not see. I'm by far not the typical East German. In the case of D.Boone it was odd in that it was shown on East German TV and even earlier than in the West; an extremely rare thing.

Yes I just posted a wildly random emoji to Craig.
You mean the one with hearts for eyes. What can I say Vince. Thomas posts those for blokes too. I prefer a man hug myself. Meanwhile during this software delay we suddenly have no access to emoji or any other icons.

Last edited:
You mean the one with hearts for eyes. What can I say Vince. Thomas posts those for blokes too. I prefer a man hug myself. Meanwhile during this software delay we suddenly have no access to emoji or any other icons.
Wow. Are emojis an issue now? Who says that there're some for men and some for women only? For comments we have just six to choose from. The second one with the hearts isn't gender-specific but unisex. It just means "to like" sth. in contrast to the thumbs-up which is a rather neutral "OK" emoji which means "agree" or just a mere "OK, I've read it". Depending on the concept, it may also express scepticism or irony. Wittgenstein is right.

Too far north!

Maybe we just went from Spoiled for Choice to Nothing in the Shops, like after a cyclone here or the start of a soviet Five Year Plan.
I am also beginning to suspect that your sense of humour is quite subtle.
Is it humour or just the result of poking around in the dark? 🤔

Back