South Africa in Australia

Re: South Africa in Australia

breeno;300501 said:
Top 100 Duminy, well batted. He has really impressed me and should open next match.

RSA 8/372. (Deficit 22)

Great hundred but he should stay at number 6. He has started solidly there and that is where he should do his test apprentiship just like Ponting, Hussey, Clarke did for australia.

Guys it is a big shame for the aussies if steyn gets a century .

Again aussie bowlers are struggling to take 10 wickets , .

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;300523 said:
The best thing I can advise is to put it on ch 502 on fox and watch McCullum and Ryder smashing it to all parts;)

Yep, i did the same thing. :)

Duminy has a great temperament to back up his skill.

The Brett Lee injury really exposes the selectors reluctance to drop Symonds due to injury. Watson should of been in, IMO if Symonds isn't capable to bowl, they shouldn't have taken the risk of playing an All Rounder as a pure bat.

EDIT: Symonds being brought on to bowl, but I don't think his offies are very penetrable.

breeno;300544 said:
Duminy has a great temperament to back up his skill.

The Brett Lee injury really exposes the selectors reluctance to drop Symonds due to injury. Watson should of been in, IMO if Symonds isn't capable to bowl, they shouldn't have taken the risk of playing an All Rounder as a pure bat.

EDIT: Symonds being brought on to bowl, but I don't think his offies are very penetrable.

You are right, Symonds bowling offspin is not great. He is not in the best 6 bats in Australia either so if he is not bowling medium pace he shouldnt play at all.

There are a number of changes that need to happen to this team it is far from being good enough.

In Sydney I would play Steven Smith. He is a leg spinning allrounder and I would be saying to the curator in Sydney to create a pitch that spins like a top.

I would leave Lee out of the side regardless of being fit or not, he is no longer a good Test match bowler. Play Hilfenhaus until Clark is fit to play.

Hayden will most likely get the series to play, but I would not have him in the team as well. Hughes should be played.

The Aussie team is no longer threatening, Warne and McGrath both learnt the game in Test cricket. So it is time we did this again and take some risks. Siddle is paying off with being given a crack.

My team for Sydney: Hughes (if Hayden fails in 2nd Innings), Katich, Ponting, M Clarke, Hussey, S Smith, Haddin, Johnson,Hauritz, Siddle and Hilfenhaus.

Watson should of played the Melbourne Test but if they didnt play him with Symonds hurt shows they are not really that keen on him being in the team.

We must move into the future. A legspinner is a must and more youth. Ponting is struggling more and more as captain, maybe Clarke should be given a crack as well. Losing in India and in England. Plus struggles in this series.

Outswinger;300561 said:
In Sydney I would play Steven Smith. He is a leg spinning allrounder and I would be saying to the curator in Sydney to create a pitch that spins like a top.

Good post on the whole but this part is utterly ridiculous. This would be the worst possible move we could make.

Seriously Casson and Hauritz are prefered to him at State Level and he has shown nothing so far to say that he is anywhere near ready to play test cricket.

Check his Sheffield Shield statistics from this season. They will tell you he is definitely no where near ready for the test level.

What the hell is going on. Symonds not bowling until the lead has been completely eroded - HUSSEY being bowled ahead of him. Katich getting no love even while the rest of the attack looked stale and out of ideas (yes, I am a NSWelshman). Symonds bowling a one-over spell in the middle of a good Siddle period (WTF?). Fields being placed that were defensive, defensive, defensive.

I hate to seem like I have an axe to grind over Ponting, but honestly... what's happening? The most charitable explanation I can think of is that there's stuff going on behind the scenes (injuries, lack of Symo fitness) that gives some logic to these decisions.

Lee going out really exposed the lack of bowling depth in this team. It's really not good enough to select an allrounder and then not bowl him, particularly when half your strike partnership is out injured. Johnson is good, but he can't carry an attack by himself. The pressure really started to show this innings.

Siddle is servicable, and the fact he took fourfer bowling like he did is a credit to him, but also kind of a condemnation to his support. He's a Kaspa, not a McGrath - if we had a true strike bowler to support Johnson then he and Hauritz could do their job of keeping the pressure on. I still don't know if I want to keep him, but his position is looking safer with Lee potentially out. Rather see Bollinger than Hilfy to replace Lee at the SCG, but for real bite then Hilfy might be the better long-term new ball partner for Johnson. In that case I'd like to see Bollinger instead of Siddle going forwards - call it Blues-bias, but I think he gives more options.

Bit of an issue that none of our spinners are very threatening (Hauritz, Symonds, Clarke). Maybe Katich with his chinamen would have helped but who knows. He's not a proper solution at any rate. Krezja is the solution but he needs to stop leaking so many runs - any chance of gene-splicing him with Hauritz?

Back