South Africa in Australia

Re: South Africa in Australia

Haddin is more experienced and averages more also has hit alot more big scores ie. hundreds then Mcdonald.

Haddin should have batted at 6 no questions asked.

grapedo;303355 said:
Yes and I have seen Haddin play for NSW and he is a much better player.

It's not a question of who's a better player it's a question of who is more suited to the number 6 position. Haddin has shown he is too irresponsible for the responsibility of batting at 6.

And he wouldn't have been nervous like that because he has had a relatively good series and played well.

So what? McDonald has to bat at some stage, might as well play him in his preferred position and the position he'll do the most good for the team.

Jolldo87;303359 said:
It's not a question of who's a better player it's a question of who is more suited to the number 6 position. Haddin has shown he is too irresponsible for the responsibility of batting at 6.

So what? McDonald has to bat at some stage, might as well play him in his preferred position and the position he'll do the most good for the team.

Well if he is a good allrounder he should be flexible and be able to bat up or down 1 or 2 places where he may not normally bat.

Haddin is a very flexible player and he would have been better suited at 6 so he could build a partnership with Clarke and atill have another batsman there instead of one of these guys having to bat with the tail.

Pup going along nicely.

Top stuff.

McDonald showed some glimpses but was a little tentative for mine.

Haddin gets one on off stump, tries to play it through the off side and gets bowled. He made 38 but once again didn't play a good shot coming towards the end of the day.

Australia are 6/237.

Amla who has probably been the fielder of the series just dropped a pretty simple chance off Clarke.

grapedo;303355 said:
Yes and I have seen Haddin play for NSW and he is a much better player.

And he wouldn't have been nervous like that because he has had a relatively good series and played well.

Haddin not nervous? Doubt that. He is actually quite a nervous players, or was until he broke free and got that hundred. If McDonald gains confidence he'll play well.

Haddin, I think, is a better batsman, but he is valuable at 7 because he makes quick runs and has the ability to bat with the tail.

Did Amla drop one?

EDIT: Yep.

DeVilliers first, then Amla, he's stopped many runs.

really interesting days play, enjoying this series more then most. Both teams are playing hard, tough and highly skilled cricket.

Australia started well but hayden is putting too much pessure on katich IMO. Katfish seemed to feel the need to produce the runs and was out to a poor shot. Ponting got a beauty and hussey is just out of form. Hayden should not be in this test and it was a struggle to watch his innings.

Clarke showed his class and inprovement with a very mature innings. His partnership with haddin in the face of a great spell of fast bowling was a highlight. Haddin got a corker which underlines the form steyn is in. Morkel had his best day of the tour and their bowling line up is similar in strength to the 2005 england line up. Kallis is the most under rated bowler, is such a natural swing bowler and todays conditions suited him to a tee.

Johno was good at the end and if Australia can push to 350 -370 then we have a very close test match. Loved listening to KK on the abc in those last 10 overs tonight. Has become one of the best insightful commentators IMO and is willing to allow a players actions to change his opinion (unlike other ABC commentators who stick to their outdated views... leather flingers anyone :p )

Also something else that became a debating point on the way back from geelong in our car was the length of the breaks. In this day and age do we really need a 40 minute break? Why not make lunch 20 minutes and tea 10 minutes. This would add another 30 minutes which even on a bad day would get the overs in.

The problem is less about fitting in the overs and more about over rates, which contribute to the boring factor. If they really wanted to they could play all Tests 10AM-6PM.

Biggie;303584 said:
We'll be lucky to get 350 I reckon.

Very lucky.

I have faith, mitch made an unbeated 40 in Melbourne so if he can hang around with Clarke for at least an hour this morning the score will pushed well up over 300 i reckon, 350 is not out of the question.

tristo;303731 said:
I have faith, mitch made an unbeated 40 in Melbourne so if he can hang around with Clarke for at least an hour this morning the score will pushed well up over 300 i reckon, 350 is not out of the question.

definitley not south africaa need wickets here and quick

Fantastic first hour and fifteen minutes for Australia.

No wickets lost and plenty of runs.

Australia currently 6/335
Clarke 115*
Johnson 42*

A fantastic ton from Clarke which takes him to the leading run scorer in the series so far.

great first hour

one of the better innings from clarke, his front foot defence was fantastic yesterday to the swinging ball and whilst he has had some chances this is a similar innings to SAF's first innings in melbourne.

Could johnson fill the number 7, play 5 bowlers and haddin takes 6?

Back