TAKE A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

Pretty decent coin for your age back then. At 16 I was bringing home only $26 a week, before it went up to $30 the following year. After my apprenticeship I was taking home the princely sum of $50 a week.
A dollar could buy a lot in those days. Petrol was very cheap.

As an apprentice at 16, I earned the equivalent of AUD100 a month, which means $25 a week and $5 a day but the currency wasn't freely convertible and you could hardly buy anything for it in our shortage economy.

Last edited:
Think I took home about $220 a week as a 1st yr apprentice in 02. A whole $40 a week more than Centrelink..

Did go up to about $270 though when I turned 21.

One of my earliest memories is when I was about 6, I was climbing over some railings and I slipped and landed on my arm, so I was taken to hospital for an x-ray, but i was refusing to have an x-ray as I'd seen a man lying on a bed and I thought it was a dead body, so I had to be coaxed into it! 🤣

One of my earliest memories is when I was about 6, I was climbing over some railings and I slipped and landed on my arm, so I was taken to hospital for an x-ray, but i was refusing to have an x-ray as I'd seen a man lying on a bed and I thought it was a dead body, so I had to be coaxed into it! 🤣
That reminds me of a story my brother told me. He was 8 I was 4 and one day he was chasing me around the back yard. As I came to the stone steps I tripped and fell and badly split my lip. When my father saw all the blood he gave my brother a severe belting then took me to the local doctor to have the wound stitched. Dont know whether I saw any 'dead bodies' or not.

That reminds me of a story my brother told me. He was 8 I was 4 and one day he was chasing me around the back yard. As I came to stone steps I tripped and fell and badly split my upper chin. When my father saw all the blood he gave my brother a severe belting then took me to the local doctor to have the wound stitched. Dont know whether I saw any 'dead bodies' or not.
Ah that's not nice that your brother got a severe belting, it's just kids being kids really.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother was a real monster in his pre teens, be amazed at some of the things he got up to. In those days the dairy and bread was home delivered so when the neibors were out he'd sneak over then eat the innards of the half loaf and replace it upside down, he'd follow this with a few gulps of milk to wash it down, refill the bottle with water and replace the lid. No kidding. Meanwhile, a very nervous muggins at only 5/6 had to keep guard in case they returned.

Last edited:
When I was 9 my brother at 11 and I took out out our Dad's dingy for a row around our town's big harbours and whilst rowing I dared my bother to climb upon a big navigational buoy just outside the harbour's entrance.
Laughing at his guiibiity I rowed off around the harbour's north pier to frighten him, disappeared and got distracted..
I've never had a good memory and when my Mum asked me where my brother was, ...🤔. he likes to remind me...😤😤😤
I still love him.

Last edited:
When I was 9 my brother at 11 and I took out out our Dad's dingy for a row around our town's big harbours and whilst rowing I dared my bother to climb upon a big navigational buoy just outside the harbour's entrance.
Laughing at his guiibiity I rowed off around the harbour's north pier to frighten him, disappeared and got distracted..
I've never had a good memory and when my Mum asked me where my brother was, ...🤔. he likes to remind me...😤😤😤
I still love him.
Not sure I can reply to that without being a touch critical Terry. So will not.

Pretty decent coin for your age back then. At 16 I was bringing home only $26 a week, before it went up to $30 the following year. After my apprenticeship I was taking home the princely sum of $50 a week.
I had a Saturday job earning £10.00 posting leaflets through peoples letterboxes, the leaflets were anything from money off coupons to advertising leaflets.

Back