The Lounge 2

Thank you Jessica you are a sweet gal.πŸ€—
I may now have one foot in the grave like Victor Meldrew, but at least I dont whinge like him. ;)
Good morning mein Freund. :thumbsu:πŸŽ‰I hope the morning and the whole year of age bring you all the joy and happiness you deserve!
I cannot guarantee that you will have an awesome day but I can guarantee that you will be in the company of friends like our small circle. Distance can’t weaken the bond we share. I know one day I'll even learn how old you are. πŸ€— A manly hug. 🍻

Last edited:
Good morning mein Freund. :thumbsu:πŸŽ‰I hope the morning and the whole year of age bring you all the joy and happiness you deserve!
I cannot guarantee that you will have an awesome day but I can guarantee that you will be in the company of friends like our small circle. Distance can’t weaken the bond we share. I know one day I'll even learn how old you are. πŸ€— A manly hug. 🍻
πŸ€— One for you too mein Freund.

Any MIL of yours is a MIL of....ours!! 😁
That's nicely said. Still, I'm astonished that you remember my MIL, Jess.

She is proof that a common saying we have in GER "You cannot shift an old tree without it dying." doesn't hold true for everyone. As often, it depends. I relocated my mother to my place when she was 80 and it proved to be a blessing for the remaining eight years. Doing the same at the age of 70 might have been a mistake, though. The same applies to my MIL. After her BH had died, we gave her four years to adapt to the new situation before she made the move to where I live aged 92. It was an unqualified success. She's blissfully happy in her new apartment.

Timing and the precise circumstances matter most. Those making the move must be mentally ready. There are subtle indications that this process has started, e.g. when stairs are becoming a nuisance while they used to be "an ideal way to keep fit" some time ago. Now she lives in a serviced apartment and has become more independent than she was. The essential things are within walking distance like supermarket, podiatry, chemist's, library. Her GP is in the same house as is a gymnastics group she's joined who have their own room in the same house. She's fully integrated, takes part in BBQs, outings and day trips and has never regretted the move. She still has a considerable circle of friends and relatives who've all come to see her in her new environment. In a nutshell, she's fine.
I just bought her a new tablet since she wants to read e-books and use streaming offers more often.

Last edited:

She is proof that a common saying we have in GER "You cannot shift an old tree without it dying." doesn't hold true for everyone. As often, it depends. I relocated my mother to my place when she was 80 and it proved to be a blessing for the remaining eight years. Doing the same at the age of 70 might have been a mistake, though. The same applies to my MIL. After her BH had died, we gave her four years to adapt to the new situation before she made the move to where I live aged 92. It was an unqualified success. She's blissfully happy in her new apartment.

Timing and the precise circumstances matter most. Those making the move must be mentally ready. There are subtle indications that this process has started, e.g. when stairs are becoming a nuisance while they used to be "an ideal way to keep fit" some time ago. Now she lives in a serviced apartment and has become more independent than she was. The essential things are within walking distance like supermarket, podiatry, chemist's, library. Her GP is in the same house as is a gymnastics group she's joined who have their own room in the same house. She's fully integrated, takes part in BBQs, outings and day trips and has never regretted the move. She still has a considerable circle of friends and relatives who've all come to see her in her new environment. In a nutshell, she's fine.
I just bought her a new tablet since she wants to read e-books and use streaming offers more often.
That's great news Thomas, sounds like she's having the time of her life! πŸ€—
I do have a good memory, I shock people at times when I mention something that was told to me maybe years before πŸ˜‚ I remember once a colleague giving me her mobile number, she was shocked that I didn't need to write it down 😁

I hope I am as content as your MIL if and when I reach her age Thomas.

Back