Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

someblokecalleddave said:
Nice one it'll be good to see it. I've just been outside in between doing DIY and I've been bowling the ball 3' wide of leg and it's still missing the off stump!!!!

Sweet!! Is your action noticeably different with it Dave? Would it be easy to pick do you think?

mine releases the same as the wrongun, people think it will spin towards them (RH) but carries straight on and has extra bounce.

Nets went well with this new variation. It seemed to cause problems and this is the first day I've ever bowled it - so that's really promising - give it another week or so of practice and I reckon this could be really useful. I was thinking today man have I made advances in my bowling over the winter - just hope it pays dividends this season.

I'm off to do some rotational press ups and stretches behind the head with those fat elastic bands and some planks and stuff! :D

Urgh - just had my first real nets session as a leggie, and discouraging wasn't the word. I was lucky if I could get the ball to pitch in a location where the batsman could do anything with it, let alone any balls that threatened the stumps.

It's so frustrating, as I'd had a bit of a loosening bowl down the field about two hours previously, and although I've had better sessions, it was nowhere near this bad. If the ball wasn't pitching miles from the stumps, it was miles too full.

There were two minor plusses. One, because of the ridiculous amount of flight I give the ball on release (I reckon easily in excess of ten feet), the bounce was troubling the batsmen a bit when I managed to actually make them play.
Secondly, one ball was an absolute peach. The batsman had blocked away two or three, and was itching to really smack one - guessing he'd come down, I pitched one short and just outside leg, and lo and behold, down he came. The ball turned viciously (which it had hardly been doing all night), took an edge and went straight to where the wicketkeeper would have been. If it wasn't an easy catch, it was an easy stumping.
Sadly, that was as good as it got - I have no idea what went wrong, but my line in particular was absolutely awful. I reckon only 50% of the balls were hittable at best.

Still, back down the field tomorrow - the girlfriend's coming down on her bike, so I've got someone to bowl at this time. ;)

This is where practice comes in! keep plugging away!

i'm not sure weather to practise my keeping tonight or spin? ::)

I've been giving Leggies a twirl in my back garden recently and the ones that come out right spin beautifully. I'm bowling with an old, soft cricket ball on a concrete path, and some balls liturally spin sideways, I can pitch the ball from what would be way outside leg and spin it passed the off-stump easily. Is it because i'm bowling on concrete or am I actually not bad at it ?>

to ensure the maximum spin i get, i rotate my 3rd finger which is at 6 o clock to 9 o clock this will ensure the wrist with full rotation, has anyone else tried this?

Wrist-spin is a bowling type in which there are so many hand-grips which work. For anyone to be exactly sure if it works you'd need a good few overs of footage on tape.

I know mine is rather like Hogg's, only because I pretty much modeled myself on him when i was teaching it myself.

My SLA is reletively Vettori-esque. Its very simple, yet effective.

If you want to find the perfect mix, theres thousands of differnt takes on Youtube which could be the one you want :)

Nightvision said:
Urgh - just had my first real nets session as a leggie, and discouraging wasn't the word. I was lucky if I could get the ball to pitch in a location where the batsman could do anything with it, let alone any balls that threatened the stumps.

It's so frustrating, as I'd had a bit of a loosening bowl down the field about two hours previously, and although I've had better sessions, it was nowhere near this bad. If the ball wasn't pitching miles from the stumps, it was miles too full.

The only short term answer as someone said earlier is loads of practice. In the longer term coaching I reckon. Just keep at it and it'll come.

I found out first hand last night what it's like to be on the receiving end of really good spin bowling. Seriously, it's traumatising!! Two balls from this one guy and my confidence was so shattered I couldn't hit the guys I was tonking only minutes before! :mad:
Worst moment from me was the ball he threw down that looked like a full toss - obviously my eyes lit up and I heaved the bat at it, desperate to hit something - but the bloody thing was a top spinner that dipped like hell in front of me and took middle stump :confused:

I'm just reading about the dip factor at the moment in the Peter Philpott book. I've seen it in action with our spinners and It's something that is missing from my bowling which is worrying. It looks like I'm going to try and re-learn the leg break from scratch using the book.

This is posted elsewhere, but I'll bung it in here as well. Over the last few days I've been going on about this new variation that I'm developing. It's a mixture of a Googly and the Flipper. The hand, wrist and arm position and movement all looks like a googly, but the grip and therefore the release is that of a flipper which means the ball spins out of the hand in a totally different manner - the complete opposite to the googly. Potentially as far as I'm concerned this is a massively important development in my bowling. If you've been reading this thread on a regular basis or just glance at the description on all my posts you'll see and know I can't bowl leg breaks. I still can't bowl the conventional wrist flick leg breaks - but as far as all the evidence I'm producing at the moment as I learn to bowl this new variant of the flipper/googly this ball turns from leg to off more effectively than I've ever seen anyone bowl ever! It's not a fluke either I can do it again and again - it is amazing! It's only day four in the development of this ball and there's loads of loos ends with it - the main one being that it works best when bowled slowly, but so far all the evidence I've seen from bowling against blokes in the nets is that it is so slow and pitched so short that they can't help but come out after it and if they do that - I then just vary the ball with another variation! Anyway here's some pictures of the grip. If anyone knows of anyone who does this already I'd be very interested to hear their story.

someblokecalleddave said:
I'm just reading about the dip factor at the moment in the Peter Philpott book. I've seen it in action with our spinners and It's something that is missing from my bowling which is worrying. It looks like I'm going to try and re-learn the leg break from scratch using the book.

Is 'dip' affected by atmospheric conditions like swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back