Western Suburbs Churches Cricket Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Western Suburbs Churches Cricket Association

What an interesting weekend of cricket.

Another top notch performance from St Andrews. Well Batted Simon Krygger - 132 runs. Look like going through home and away season undefeated.

Kingy Bapts should win first innings, and will obviously push hard for outright as they push for unlikely finals birth.

St Johns seem to have let Roosters #1 off the hook with Roosters tale wagging. 240 is still a gettable total at the small St Pauls ground, but they will have to bat well. Hot weather could mean this game gets called off and therefore a draw result. A draw is no good for St John finals hopes.

Willy Congs put in a good performance against Roosters #2. Willy should be able to win on first innings, but will be big ask if they go for possible outright? They will need to get 19 wickets in a day. Could Roosters #2 get the 200 runs required to win game and cause biggest upset of year? I doubt if Mick Callus will bowl either after doing hammy.

What an interesting weekend of cricket.

Another top notch performance from St Andrews. Well Batted Simon Krygger - 132 runs. Look like going through home and away season undefeated.

Kingy Bapts should win first innings, and will obviously push hard for outright as they push for unlikely finals birth.

St Johns seem to have let Roosters #1 off the hook with Roosters tale wagging. 240 is still a gettable total at the small St Pauls ground, but they will have to bat well. Hot weather could mean this game gets called off and therefore a draw result. A draw is no good for St John finals hopes.

Willy Congs put in a good performance against Roosters #2. Willy should be able to win on first innings, but will be big ask if they go for possible outright? They will need to get 19 wickets in a day. Could Roosters #2 get the 200 runs required to win game and cause biggest upset of year? I doubt if Mick Callus will bowl either after doing hammy.

bouncer 7/56;316357 said:
Chris Armstrong and Simon Krygger both victims of dubious LBWS and 6 were given in the B grade Mats. Umpiring has dropped right off this season.

the only reason you think they were dubious was because they were given against you club. if you were bowling they would have been good decisions.....[/QUOTE]

U werent there so u didnt see it, i call it as i see it and they were poor decisions. Im sure we will get a few lucky ones too. In the 2nds game the umpire stood about 4 meters back from the edge of the pitch.

bouncer 7/56;316357 said:
Chris Armstrong and Simon Krygger both victims of dubious LBWS and 6 were given in the B grade Mats. Umpiring has dropped right off this season.

the only reason you think they were dubious was because they were given against you club. if you were bowling they would have been good decisions.....[/QUOTE]

U werent there so u didnt see it, i call it as i see it and they were poor decisions. Im sure we will get a few lucky ones too. In the 2nds game the umpire stood about 4 meters back from the edge of the pitch.

borntigerfan;316254 said:
Not really sure i can only comment on the people from my club. Simon Krygger made 132, Mick O toole 53, and a host of good starts. Chris Armstrong and Simon Krygger both victims of dubious LBWS and 6 were given in the B grade Mats. Umpiring has dropped right off this season.

Not sure about the decision against Chris because I was fielding in the covers. It was only a half push, so I figured the length was good. Can't comment about the line. He figured he got his pad outside the line, I thought it hit him on the inside of the pad which would have negated that, but again, fielding in the covers makes it impossible to comment. But there was nothing dubious about the call against Simon. The decision was given very quickly, which might have made things seem sketchy given the time, but he was dead for all money. I don't want to take anything away from him, but if we're speculating about dubious calls, I hit him dead in front twice in my first over after he was playing accross the line and from the crease but was no-balled when I was "just over" ...only to find out the crease was short by somewhere between an inch or three depending on whose word you go by. I'm not making excuses here - just pointing out that unfortunately you've got to take the good with the bad.

My wrap... Well ah, as an individual, there are some days that you wish just never happened - Sunday was one of them. Making a tonne with the ball isn't fun - and when you get noballed five times in your first two overs only to find out at drinks that the line is short and then watch as catches go down... you suspect it's not going to be your day. When your partner hits a ball straight and it ricochets off of the bowlers hand to run you out after all of that... then you can be just about positive it wasn't your day. Like I said earlier, I'm convinced he got away with a couple early, but from then on in, Simon was fantastic - I love the challenge of bowling to left handers, but he made it zero fun once he was settled. A huge congratulations. All the other blokes got reasonable starts, and it was good to have a look at O'Toole. In hindsight, I don't think we tried anything short to him, but hell, I just couldn't muster anything running into the breeze. He batted really well.

The little session at the end left me pretty shattered. I had been dying to get a look at Draper - he is bloody quick and I was loving the challenge... until Cookie figured he'd send one straight into the bowlers hand onto the stumps. Bummer. Hopefully the boys grind it out.

Even though it would mean getting out of jail, I hope the weekends play doesn't get called. It would mean the finals race could turn a little farcical.

borntigerfan;316254 said:
Not really sure i can only comment on the people from my club. Simon Krygger made 132, Mick O toole 53, and a host of good starts. Chris Armstrong and Simon Krygger both victims of dubious LBWS and 6 were given in the B grade Mats. Umpiring has dropped right off this season.

Not sure about the decision against Chris because I was fielding in the covers. It was only a half push, so I figured the length was good. Can't comment about the line. He figured he got his pad outside the line, I thought it hit him on the inside of the pad which would have negated that, but again, fielding in the covers makes it impossible to comment. But there was nothing dubious about the call against Simon. The decision was given very quickly, which might have made things seem sketchy given the time, but he was dead for all money. I don't want to take anything away from him, but if we're speculating about dubious calls, I hit him dead in front twice in my first over after he was playing accross the line and from the crease but was no-balled when I was "just over" ...only to find out the crease was short by somewhere between an inch or three depending on whose word you go by. I'm not making excuses here - just pointing out that unfortunately you've got to take the good with the bad.

My wrap... Well ah, as an individual, there are some days that you wish just never happened - Sunday was one of them. Making a tonne with the ball isn't fun - and when you get noballed five times in your first two overs only to find out at drinks that the line is short and then watch as catches go down... you suspect it's not going to be your day. When your partner hits a ball straight and it ricochets off of the bowlers hand to run you out after all of that... then you can be just about positive it wasn't your day. Like I said earlier, I'm convinced he got away with a couple early, but from then on in, Simon was fantastic - I love the challenge of bowling to left handers, but he made it zero fun once he was settled. A huge congratulations. All the other blokes got reasonable starts, and it was good to have a look at O'Toole. In hindsight, I don't think we tried anything short to him, but hell, I just couldn't muster anything running into the breeze. He batted really well.

The little session at the end left me pretty shattered. I had been dying to get a look at Draper - he is bloody quick and I was loving the challenge... until Cookie figured he'd send one straight into the bowlers hand onto the stumps. Bummer. Hopefully the boys grind it out.

Even though it would mean getting out of jail, I hope the weekends play doesn't get called. It would mean the finals race could turn a little farcical.

MV!;316393 said:

Yeah i saw that dismissal very unlucky. I hope they dont call play but it doesn't look good for sat anyway. Thanks to the boys for hanging around for a beer, the club appriciates it cheers.

MV!;316393 said:

Yeah i saw that dismissal very unlucky. I hope they dont call play but it doesn't look good for sat anyway. Thanks to the boys for hanging around for a beer, the club appriciates it cheers.

wait there;315138 said:
well last time i checked the only reason you blokes are playin at angliss on sunday is because you blokes can't get a wicket up.. and don't use the excuse that you were asked on wednesday night.. cos thats the same time that the curators at angliss got asked

Playing on Sunday to help Footscray United. Council has killed there ground. we are all brothers in cricket help each other out what goes around comes around.... crickets the winner champ.........

wait there;315138 said:
well last time i checked the only reason you blokes are playin at angliss on sunday is because you blokes can't get a wicket up.. and don't use the excuse that you were asked on wednesday night.. cos thats the same time that the curators at angliss got asked

Playing on Sunday to help Footscray United. Council has killed there ground. we are all brothers in cricket help each other out what goes around comes around.... crickets the winner champ.........

Congrats to Lucky, Wait there, well done boys played on ANAs track on sunday. it was a good pitch hard with plenty of grass, out field good, bounce true 98% time. never would have thought it would come up this year at all looks like the council is starting to use those water tanks finally.

Congrats to Lucky, Wait there, well done boys played on ANAs track on sunday. it was a good pitch hard with plenty of grass, out field good, bounce true 98% time. never would have thought it would come up this year at all looks like the council is starting to use those water tanks finally.

bouncer 7/56;315920 said:
With new administrations the talk of the world at the moment. What does everyone think of the way this comp is run??????????::eek:

7/56 check out your form jump on & staight up start the biggest rumour of the year. new admin so were is the coup coming from champ.
Hope there havent been any back room dealings at the local retirement village.

bouncer 7/56;315920 said:
With new administrations the talk of the world at the moment. What does everyone think of the way this comp is run??????????::eek:

7/56 check out your form jump on & staight up start the biggest rumour of the year. new admin so were is the coup coming from champ.

BigCoq;316454 said:

BigCoq - no rumours or coup, just interested to hear how people think the comp is run, as l know some clubs aren't happy with the grading and the way some clubs are shifted from grade to grade and take their points with them.

BigCoq;316454 said:

BigCoq - no rumours or coup, just interested to hear how people think the comp is run, as l know some clubs aren't happy with the grading and the way some clubs are shifted from grade to grade and take their points with them.

News Breaker;314688 said:
Hey Big Coq. MAy I take this opportunity to say , congrats on a splendid effort you have done this year in marshalling your troops, as you can only go to war with the soldiers you have.

Next year your boys will be even better with the experience under there belt.

Thank News Breaker. it hasnt been easy all year getting toweled up by a few of the better teams during the season but i take comfort in nowing i have got a few younger cricketers experience on turf wickets before there time.
I have given our First X1 4 players all under the age 22. Moona, J.B., B.Potae, Heke & dont forget POTS obviously playing Turf last year has done him the world of good.
I believe i have another 3 or 4 players that would be ready for the turf grade next year without a doubt. Damo (15) Big Jordan, the Potae brothers and Niemi. AZA is there abouts and Victor is getting ta good feel for the hole Turf experience.
If only i could keep a nucleus of 7 or 8 people most of the season then we would be alot more competitive but not to be the case.
too much chopping & changing never know what im getting from week to week.
Having said that i look forward to travelling down the same path next year with a more determined single minded attitude than this year. I am confidant we can keep improving and take it up to the top sides.

News Breaker;314688 said:
Hey Big Coq. MAy I take this opportunity to say , congrats on a splendid effort you have done this year in marshalling your troops, as you can only go to war with the soldiers you have.

Next year your boys will be even better with the experience under there belt.

Thank News Breaker. it hasnt been easy all year getting toweled up by a few of the better teams during the season but i take comfort in nowing i have got a few younger cricketers experience on turf wickets before there time.
I have given our First X1 4 players all under the age 22. Moona, J.B., B.Potae, Heke & dont forget POTS obviously playing Turf last year has done him the world of good.
I believe i have another 3 or 4 players that would be ready for the turf grade next year without a doubt. Damo (15) Big Jordan, the Potae brothers and Niemi. AZA is there abouts and Victor is getting ta good feel for the hole Turf experience.
If only i could keep a nucleus of 7 or 8 people most of the season then we would be alot more competitive but not to be the case.
Having said that i look forward to travelling down the same path next year with a more determined single minded attitude than this year. I am confidant we can keep improving and take it up to the top sides.

BigCoq;316464 said:

Well said Bigcoq. You have done a good job with the players you have had and have improved as the year has gone bye. I think Brad Potae should be in your firsts to be honest.

In regards to next season, I have had a few chats with the Powers to Be and dont think you guys will have a spot in the Turf Grade next year. Most clubs and Association Commitee are keen for an 8 team turf comp.

BigCoq;316464 said:

Well said Bigcoq. You have done a good job with the players you have had and have improved as the year has gone bye. I think Brad Potae should be in your firsts to be honest.

In regards to next season, I have had a few chats with the Powers to Be and dont think you guys will have a spot in the Turf Grade next year. Most clubs and Association Commitee are keen for an 8 team turf comp.

bouncer 7/56;316462 said:

We need a fresh young vibrant leader to take the comp into the next millenium. Need some Goals, a clear Visions moving forward.;)
Perhaps a Turf Implementation Stratagey is required as the Comps base on neutral territory hell we need it if the comp is too thrive let alone survive.
i feel we are treading water when you alow clubs to dictate were they would like to play eg Melton Sth and others then Anarchy is sure to prevail...:rolleyes:

Fixtures & grading would be the biggest angst at most clubs apart from dubious LBWs decisions.:eek:
Fixtures and grading will always be hit & miss as we rely on the honesty of clubs and clubs never really know what they have until game 1. round 4 review seems fair. never an easy solution........

bouncer 7/56;316462 said:

We need a fresh young vibrant leader to take the comp into the next millenium. Need some Goals, a clear Visions moving forward.;)
Perhaps a Turf Implementation Stratagey is required as the Comps base on neutral territory hell we need it if the comp is too thrive let alone survive.
i feel we are treading water when you alow clubs to dictate were they would like to play eg Melton Sth and others then Anarchy is sure to prevail...:rolleyes:

Fixtures & grading would be the biggest angst at most clubs apart from dubious LBWs decisions.:eek:
Fixtures and grading will always be hit & miss as we rely on the honesty of clubs and clubs never really know what they have until game 1. round 4 review seems fair. never an easy solution........

Billy Bowden;316475 said:

it would be a shame to see all that hard work go down the tubes. i feel for the youngsters knocking on the firsts door.

Billy Bowden;316475 said:

it would be a shame to see all that hard work go down the tubes. i feel for the youngsters knocking on the firsts door.

borntigerfan;316374 said:
the only reason you think they were dubious was because they were given against you club. if you were bowling they would have been good decisions.....

U werent there so u didnt see it, i call it as i see it and they were poor decisions. Im sure we will get a few lucky ones too. In the 2nds game the umpire stood about 4 meters back from the edge of the pitch.[/QUOTE]

BTF - how do you know l wasn't there?

borntigerfan;316374 said:
the only reason you think they were dubious was because they were given against you club. if you were bowling they would have been good decisions.....

U werent there so u didnt see it, i call it as i see it and they were poor decisions. Im sure we will get a few lucky ones too. In the 2nds game the umpire stood about 4 meters back from the edge of the pitch.[/QUOTE]

BTF - how do you know l wasn't there?

Why do most of the comments on here refer to the turf grade there are more synthetic grades than turf.

I'm tipping that if we don't get any significant rain before the start of next season, there wont be any local cricket at all:eek:

Why do most of the comments on here refer to the turf grade there are more synthetic grades than turf.

I'm tipping that if we don't get any significant rain before the start of next season, there wont be any local cricket at all:eek:

I dont know if you were there but i can only call it as i see it and i believe other umps would have given these guys not out. I would rather do it myself then put up with poor decisions every week. I understand they are doing their best but where does the line get drawn. Do they do testing at the beginning of the year. Also i agree with you why dont people also talk about the lower grades. I put a post asking for peoples finals predictions and only got 1 reply ??

I dont know if you were there but i can only call it as i see it and i believe other umps would have given these guys not out. I would rather do it myself then put up with poor decisions every week. I understand they are doing their best but where does the line get drawn. Do they do testing at the beginning of the year. Also i agree with you why dont people also talk about the lower grades. I put a post asking for peoples finals predictions and only got 1 reply ??

borntigerfan;316510 said:

Every batting team reckons they are not out when it comes to LBW's and the bowling team reckon they are out. Everyone is the same and the umpire gets a bagging from the batting team for giving a bad decision. I know as l've done it myself. The umps do their best. If you appeal and they give it out out, good luck to the bowling team, and bad luck to the batsman.

All l'm saying is batting teams should'nt complain too much about decisions, because if they were the bowling team, there is no way known they would call a batsman back on a bad call from the ump. you take the good with the bad.

Every batting team reckons they are not out when it comes to LBW's and the bowling team reckon they are out. Everyone is the same and the umpire gets a bagging from the batting team for giving a bad decision. I know as l've done it myself. The umps do their best. If you appeal and they give it out out, good luck to the bowling team, and bad luck to the batsman.

All l'm saying is batting teams should'nt complain too much about decisions, because if they were the bowling team, there is no way known they would call a batsman back on a bad call from the ump. you take the good with the bad.

allways keeps me amused LBW decisions. If i field at Mid wicket, Square Leg,Covers, Point, Gully Mid on, Mid off how the hell would i know if its One pitched in line is the ball swinging in or out........... the only part of the appeal you would be comforetable making would be how high up the pad did it strike the batsmen.
i believe there would be only 3 people that could make the decision Keeper Bowler & Umpire and perhaps a rather sheepish batsmen.
Standing on the boundary line does not give you any right to judge the umpires decision. The bowling team would say great decision & the batting team will be talking about it for the rest of the week......
i am sure it evens up in the end...
at the end of the day you would like to see as little input from the ump in deciding the result as possible but it happens to all teams.

allways keeps me amused LBW decisions. If i field at Mid wicket, Square Leg,Covers, Point, Gully Mid on, Mid off how the hell would i know if its One pitched in line is the ball swinging in or out........... the only part of the appeal you would be comforetable making would be how high up the pad did it strike the batsmen.
i believe there would be only 3 people that could make the decision Keeper Bowler & Umpire and perhaps a rather sheepish batsmen.
Standing on the boundary line does not give you any right to judge the umpires decision. The bowling team would say great decision & the batting team will be talking about it for the rest of the week......
i am sure it evens up in the end...
at the end of the day you would like to see as little input from the ump in deciding the result as possible but it happens to all teams.

BigCoq;316454 said:

BigCoq - I've been a regular reader of this site since November. so l thought l would give my 2 cents worth.

BigCoq;316454 said:

BigCoq - I've been a regular reader of this site since November. so l thought l would give my 2 cents worth.

All we can ask of the umpires is to be consistent and base their decisions on the Laws of Cricket. I heard there were some shocking decisions made in the St Andrews v Melton Centrals B Grade game and that is no good for all involved. If both teams think the umpire was very bad all you can do is put a report in outlining all his errors and recomend he should be umpiring lower level cricket.

As for LBW's, there is no better person than the umpire to judge them. He stands behined stumps and gets the best view. It is impossible for fielders fielding square of the wicket and players and spectators on the boundry to have any idea whether it is out or not.

All we can ask of the umpires is to be consistent and base their decisions on the Laws of Cricket. I heard there were some shocking decisions made in the St Andrews v Melton Centrals B Grade game and that is no good for all involved. If both teams think the umpire was very bad all you can do is put a report in outlining all his errors and recomend he should be umpiring lower level cricket.

As for LBW's, there is no better person than the umpire to judge them. He stands behined stumps and gets the best view. It is impossible for fielders fielding square of the wicket and players and spectators on the boundry to have any idea whether it is out or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back