Western Suburbs Churches Cricket Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Western Suburbs Churches Cricket Association

There are a couple of issues which will need to be dealt with this week by the Association.

Issue one is once again we had a very ordinary pitch prepared at the Kingy Bapts Angliss Reserve Ground on the weekend. To much grass left on top of the wicket which ment balls were flying around blokes heads when they were playing a forward defencive block. Also the the stump marking lines which are suppose to be in the middle of the pitch, were 6 inches to the right hand side up one end. We also had the drama a few weeks ago where a pitch was longer than 22 yards. SURELY WE CANT PLAY FINALS AT ANGLISS NOW. Pennel Reserve, St Pauls and Altona Green have to be considered first for the finals.

Issue Two is the B Grade Game Between Kingy Bapts and Weribee Centrals. The umpire for the day was Eugene D'Lazarus who called a staggering 66 wides for the day. I wasn't there but I have been told it was absolutly farsical what Eugene was calling. Apparantly anything that missed the bat he was calling wide. If that was the case I would have walked my side of the ground and refused to play. I know that is drastic but you cannot have a farsical situation like this. Love to hear from anyone who was there if my description is correct.

There are a couple of issues which will need to be dealt with this week by the Association.

Issue one is once again we had a very ordinary pitch prepared at the Kingy Bapts Angliss Reserve Ground on the weekend. To much grass left on top of the wicket which ment balls were flying around blokes heads when they were playing a forward defencive block. Also the the stump marking lines which are suppose to be in the middle of the pitch, were 6 inches to the right hand side up one end. We also had the drama a few weeks ago where a pitch was longer than 22 yards. SURELY WE CANT PLAY FINALS AT ANGLISS NOW. Pennel Reserve, St Pauls and Altona Green have to be considered first for the finals.

Issue Two is the B Grade Game Between Kingy Bapts and Weribee Centrals. The umpire for the day was Eugene D'Lazarus who called a staggering 66 wides for the day. I wasn't there but I have been told it was absolutly farsical what Eugene was calling. Apparantly anything that missed the bat he was calling wide. If that was the case I would have walked my side of the ground and refused to play. I know that is drastic but you cannot have a farsical situation like this. Love to hear from anyone who was there if my description is correct.

66 wides? Christ. Playing international ODI rules there or something? Is there past form with that sort of umpiring?

Anyway, to the action of the week... Congrats to Hayes and Hulett. Pity that in all that run making they couldn't eek out another four to crack the 500 mark. My jaw dropped when I saw the scorecard. The deck there is a road, but christ, 496 is just plain ridiculous. It's a pity to hear that the Angliss deck isn't up to scratch again, though. It's a waste that the two best decks (by a looooong way) aren't being used for finals. Pennel is definitely the best batting deck, but both times I played at Altona Green it had some good, encouraging pace in it for the bowlers.

It was my first time facing Dan Temby proper this week. It'd be good to get an idea about how others feel, but I reckon there's a good gap between him and the next best opening bowler for the comp. Sure he hasn't taken the most poles, but he definitely forces blokes to play a lot more than any other new nut bowler that i've faced up to. Gave sweet FA to leave, and pipped me with probably the best nut i've had all season - still haven't worked out what happened there.

But again, congrats to the two century makers. Still can't believe the result.

66 wides? Christ. Playing international ODI rules there or something? Is there past form with that sort of umpiring?

Anyway, to the action of the week... Congrats to Hayes and Hulett. Pity that in all that run making they couldn't eek out another four to crack the 500 mark. My jaw dropped when I saw the scorecard. The deck there is a road, but christ, 496 is just plain ridiculous. It's a pity to hear that the Angliss deck isn't up to scratch again, though. It's a waste that the two best decks (by a looooong way) aren't being used for finals. Pennel is definitely the best batting deck, but both times I played at Altona Green it had some good, encouraging pace in it for the bowlers.

It was my first time facing Dan Temby proper this week. It'd be good to get an idea about how others feel, but I reckon there's a good gap between him and the next best opening bowler for the comp. Sure he hasn't taken the most poles, but he definitely forces blokes to play a lot more than any other new nut bowler that i've faced up to. Gave sweet FA to leave, and pipped me with probably the best nut i've had all season - still haven't worked out what happened there.

MV!;328373 said:

how many matches has that bloke umpired? thats terrible. the wicket at angliss was wet when i got there in the morning and after an hour of rolling the moisture had risen to the top with some still in the profile.. hence why it may have popped a bit.. still they made 280 so it couldn't have been that bad.. one more thing, why would you win the toss and bowl as the roosters #2 did, on a deck which qantas would be happy to land there planes on its that much of a road from all accounts

MV!;328373 said:

how many matches has that bloke umpired? thats terrible. the wicket at angliss was wet when i got there in the morning and after an hour of rolling the moisture had risen to the top with some still in the profile.. hence why it may have popped a bit.. still they made 280 so it couldn't have been that bad.. one more thing, why would you win the toss and bowl as the roosters #2 did, on a deck which qantas would be happy to land there planes on its that much of a road from all accounts

wait there;328379 said:

i can understand why roosters 2 would chose to bowl 1st. it limits the oppertunity of them getting beat outright. as it turns out, that might save their 1s team from finishing 4th if they get beat. which looks like thats a chance of happening. but i'm not sure why roosters 1 whould win the toss and elect to bowl??? they have given burnside a sniff of victory. the pressure is on boys. maybe jb might get another chance at fixing his WE WILL WIN statement in the semi. i know they wouldn't wanna play st andrews in the semi after being pants by them last round.

wait there;328379 said:

i can understand why roosters 2 would chose to bowl 1st. it limits the oppertunity of them getting beat outright. as it turns out, that might save their 1s team from finishing 4th if they get beat. which looks like thats a chance of happening. but i'm not sure why roosters 1 whould win the toss and elect to bowl??? they have given burnside a sniff of victory. the pressure is on boys. maybe jb might get another chance at fixing his WE WILL WIN statement in the semi. i know they wouldn't wanna play st andrews in the semi after being pants by them last round.

ok where to start with you- yes plenty of old blokes this week, but 3 young guns- future of club-damo 15, brad potae 21 & azza 25, were there. also keep in mind our 3rds are a chance for finals ours 2nds not, so make up of team has changed slighty last couple games. u cant play a whole under 15 team. we have been short of juniors in past, but we have some awesome kids coming through, only 11 12 and 13 year olds now, but once they hit 15-17, we willing be pushing them through dont worry bout that.

i was happy with my figures opening up, and was ready to take over from baskharon- couldnt get the ball off him, bowled awesome! everyone talks up callus and murray as beat spinners, justin closing the gap fast. then i was gona maybe replace diney, whose 2nd spell was much better than it looks on paper, and he just keep getting that wicket.
as was stated, deisel missed last game through illness no falling out.
the reason we chose to bowl- wicket was very very green, damp, and it was overcast. witn in 10 mins clouds went away and the wicket played almost perfect- and burnside top order batted great. so we didnt give them a sniff at victory- spitteri and bedse did by setting them up.
and yer st.andrews gave us a nice little touch up- WE DONT CARE WHERE WE FINSH. doesnt matter who u play come week one. if u wana win it this year,you more than likey have to go through st.andrews at some stage. doesnt matter what week u play them. if you good enough on the day, u will be in with a chance. ok JB made a few over confident comments- boo hoo. im sure hes learnt from it. all of you now can move on. even if you dont we dont care hes still one of us.

thanks for taking such an interest with our club. hope ive cleared of few things up for you.

ok where to start with you- yes plenty of old blokes this week, but 3 young guns- future of club-damo 15, brad potae 21 & azza 25, were there. also keep in mind our 3rds are a chance for finals ours 2nds not, so make up of team has changed slighty last couple games. u cant play a whole under 15 team. we have been short of juniors in past, but we have some awesome kids coming through, only 11 12 and 13 year olds now, but once they hit 15-17, we willing be pushing them through dont worry bout that.

i was happy with my figures opening up, and was ready to take over from baskharon- couldnt get the ball off him, bowled awesome! everyone talks up callus and murray as beat spinners, justin closing the gap fast. then i was gona maybe replace diney, whose 2nd spell was much better than it looks on paper, and he just keep getting that wicket.
the reason we chose to bowl- wicket was very very green, damp, and it was overcast. witn in 10 mins clouds went away and the wicket played almost perfect- and burnside top order batted great. so we didnt give them a sniff at victory- spitteri and bedse did by setting them up.
and yer st.andrews gave us a nice little touch up- WE DONT CARE WHERE WE FINSH. doesnt matter who u play come week one. if u wana win it this year,you more than likey have to go through st.andrews at some stage. doesnt matter what week u play them. if you good enough on the day, u will be in with a chance. ok JB made a few over confident comments- boo hoo. im sure hes learnt from it. all of you now can move on. even if you dont we dont care hes still one of us.

thanks for taking such an interest with our club. hope ive cleared of few things up for you.

66 wides- LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! yer thats going far. billy bowden- even though it sounds ridiculus, u just cant do the inzaman ul huk, and walk off when u dont like the umps decission. stil cant belive to this day when he did that over ball tampering, they didnt suspend him for life! to walk off is not on. proper channels to go through.

66 wides- LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! yer thats going far. billy bowden- even though it sounds ridiculus, u just cant do the inzaman ul huk, and walk off when u dont like the umps decission. stil cant belive to this day when he did that over ball tampering, they didnt suspend him for life! to walk off is not on. proper channels to go through.

Yes 66 wides is disturbing, we have had him as umpire before and he consistently calls wides even if they just miss the leg stump. But he isnt alone in the umpiring stakes as there are others who constantly spoil games by their interpretations of the game. I thank them for offering their services on a weekend but we all know that if given a grand final that there could be some point where they will cost someone a premiership. I'm not sure how thes guys are trained but it needs to be looked into. Also im sure clubs are putting in their concerns but someone at the association is not listening to them.

Yes 66 wides is disturbing, we have had him as umpire before and he consistently calls wides even if they just miss the leg stump. But he isnt alone in the umpiring stakes as there are others who constantly spoil games by their interpretations of the game. I thank them for offering their services on a weekend but we all know that if given a grand final that there could be some point where they will cost someone a premiership. I'm not sure how thes guys are trained but it needs to be looked into. Also im sure clubs are putting in their concerns but someone at the association is not listening to them.

;)
Pots;328398 said:

you sure have pots. 1: you've made it clear to me that your captain has no idea of what he's doing. the forecast for satday was sunny. you are playing a 2 day game, hence you will be bowling 72 overs, not just the 1st hour. and 2: just cause someone gets a wicket dont mean they keep bowling. i,m sure he could of given you a few more overs sometime in the day. but if you wanna reward good bowling, i think your 8 over spell warented another spell. 3: if smith is fit to play 2s, well im guessing he's fit to play 1s. both teams play 72 over games, so i think there might be more behind that selection. you dont fool around with your side last game b4 finals. last of all pots, the so called young guns you've named ( all 3 of them) are not good enough to play in your 1s. maybe the young fella might improve over the next 2 years but the other 2 wont.

;)
Pots;328398 said:

you sure have pots. 1: you've made it clear to me that your captain has no idea of what he's doing. the forecast for satday was sunny. you are playing a 2 day game, hence you will be bowling 72 overs, not just the 1st hour. and 2: just cause someone gets a wicket dont mean they keep bowling. i,m sure he could of given you a few more overs sometime in the day. but if you wanna reward good bowling, i think your 8 over spell warented another spell. 3: if smith is fit to play 2s, well im guessing he's fit to play 1s. both teams play 72 over games, so i think there might be more behind that selection. you dont fool around with your side last game b4 finals. last of all pots, the so called young guns you've named ( all 3 of them) are not good enough to play in your 1s. maybe the young fella might improve over the next 2 years but the other 2 wont.

borntigerfan;328427 said:

All associations are short on umpires, so putting in concerns will not matter, this umpire will umpire another match and spoil that match

borntigerfan;328427 said:

All associations are short on umpires, so putting in concerns will not matter, this umpire will umpire another match and spoil that match

I meant that maybe someone should sit down with these guys and point out what clubs are saying instead of letting them go about their own business, If they leave so be it.

I meant that maybe someone should sit down with these guys and point out what clubs are saying instead of letting them go about their own business, If they leave so be it.

There is no point complaining about the umpiring. I know 66 wides is way over the top but they are all doing their best (I think). I have been involved in this comp for over 25 years and the umpiring has always been an issue. It's the same everywhere. The best ump I ever played with was Ron Charles (no longer with us - R.I.P). As anyone who has been involved in this comp for as long as I have you would know who I am talking about. But hey at the end of the day an umpire is just giving an opinion. They are not all going to make the same decisions! In summing up, I would rather have an umpire than not have one - and beleive me I have seen some terrible umpires! When there is an umpire it takes the "heat" off your team mates (especially LBW decisions), who have to give their own out and nobody likes doing that. I plan on umpiring, maybe, when I can't participate on the field anymore, just to stay involved in the game (the tax free $$$ is an added bonus). But I strongly believe that anyone who umpires in our comp does try their best. I don't think they go out on the ground to upset anyone, they just call it as they see it - It's just that some see it better than others that's all.... :)

There is no point complaining about the umpiring. I know 66 wides is way over the top but they are all doing their best (I think). I have been involved in this comp for over 25 years and the umpiring has always been an issue. It's the same everywhere. The best ump I ever played with was Ron Charles (no longer with us - R.I.P). As anyone who has been involved in this comp for as long as I have you would know who I am talking about. But hey at the end of the day an umpire is just giving an opinion. They are not all going to make the same decisions! In summing up, I would rather have an umpire than not have one - and beleive me I have seen some terrible umpires! When there is an umpire it takes the "heat" off your team mates (especially LBW decisions), who have to give their own out and nobody likes doing that. I plan on umpiring, maybe, when I can't participate on the field anymore, just to stay involved in the game (the tax free $$$ is an added bonus). But I strongly believe that anyone who umpires in our comp does try their best. I don't think they go out on the ground to upset anyone, they just call it as they see it - It's just that some see it better than others that's all.... :)

Shaved_Plums;328918 said:

Plums,

Not sure of who you are, but I reckon I would have played against/with you many years ago, based your quote of "over 25 years". I have been filling in time now and then reading the posts on this site and I felt the need to back you up on 2 points. 1- Ron Charles is right up there with all the best umpires I have come across. Kept his head, never over officiated, was approachable and called it as he saw it. And 2- We are all better off with average umpires then none at all. I have seen some pretty poor behaviour towards umpires and imo, this is the reason we all end up with average umps cause the quality ones dont want to put up with all the crap that gets flung out on a field. It is a tuff job, and 1 I dont envy.

Good luck to all of you who are lucky enough to play in finals this season.

Shaved_Plums;328918 said:

Plums,

Not sure of who you are, but I reckon I would have played against/with you many years ago, based your quote of "over 25 years". I have been filling in time now and then reading the posts on this site and I felt the need to back you up on 2 points. 1- Ron Charles is right up there with all the best umpires I have come across. Kept his head, never over officiated, was approachable and called it as he saw it. And 2- We are all better off with average umpires then none at all. I have seen some pretty poor behaviour towards umpires and imo, this is the reason we all end up with average umps cause the quality ones dont want to put up with all the crap that gets flung out on a field. It is a tuff job, and 1 I dont envy.

Good luck to all of you who are lucky enough to play in finals this season.

Thanks for the support Too Old Body Broke........ I started playing in this comp when I was about 10 years old - with Totty Bapts - I have since played with 3 or 4 other clubs. I think I have missed 2 seasons since I started playing as a kid.

Thanks for the support Too Old Body Broke........ I started playing in this comp when I was about 10 years old - with Totty Bapts - I have since played with 3 or 4 other clubs. I think I have missed 2 seasons since I started playing as a kid.

fine legs;328457 said:
;)

hindsight is a wonderful thing. we had arguements tonight about bowling and batting 1st. that can be for another day though. i do appricate support from you, thank you. end of day im always there for team, i was hanging out to bowl and hopforly have a chance for wickets agg, but i seriously though our boys were doing the job. and more important thing was this game 1st of all.
people at the club inhouse know whats happening with diesel. all good there. damo will be a star! hope he goes on to a much higher grade, think he def will. brad potae is very stiff not to be in our 1sts, and quite a few people from other teams on this site have backed up that too. finally azza- had a ave year esp by what i think he can acheive. some people mature at diff stages and ages, and im waiting for the day when he realises his potental, and becomes the player that alot of us see in him. good luck on the weekend

fine legs;328457 said:
;)

hindsight is a wonderful thing. we had arguements tonight about bowling and batting 1st. that can be for another day though. i do appricate support from you, thank you. end of day im always there for team, i was hanging out to bowl and hopforly have a chance for wickets agg, but i seriously though our boys were doing the job. and more important thing was this game 1st of all.
people at the club inhouse know whats happening with diesel. all good there. damo will be a star! hope he goes on to a much higher grade, think he def will. brad potae is very stiff not to be in our 1sts, and quite a few people from other teams on this site have backed up that too. finally azza- had a ave year esp by what i think he can acheive. some people mature at diff stages and ages, and im waiting for the day when he realises his potental, and becomes the player that alot of us see in him. good luck on the weekend

in reply to pots' players of the future, i haven't seen brad potae so i cannot comment on him. Damo is a good player at 15, there are better playing in juniors but still is a good player, needs to improve on his batting and needs to hav some confidence in himself and he will be right. And if ur meaning grixti as 'azza' at 25 as a player of the future well you are kidding. At 25, he should be getting towards his peak if not got there, he is a player of now although by how he played he isnt that much of a player. Of course now people will come back harshly and try and bag me which is fine. im just offering my opinion.

in reply to pots' players of the future, i haven't seen brad potae so i cannot comment on him. Damo is a good player at 15, there are better playing in juniors but still is a good player, needs to improve on his batting and needs to hav some confidence in himself and he will be right. And if ur meaning grixti as 'azza' at 25 as a player of the future well you are kidding. At 25, he should be getting towards his peak if not got there, he is a player of now although by how he played he isnt that much of a player. Of course now people will come back harshly and try and bag me which is fine. im just offering my opinion.

Pots;329150 said:

Pots

Just like to say I agree with you on Damo and Brad Potae but disagree regarding Grixti.

Damo is only 15 or 16 years old so their is plenty of time still for improvement for him. His bowling is fairly good at the moment. Batting technique still needs improvement as he pokes at alot of balls outside of stump without moving his feet. The upside is their many years of improvement and hopefully he can be a great player for your club. Cricketers usually dont peek until they are 25 years old.

In regards to Brad Potae, I think he is a good all round cricketer and If I was picking your 1st eleven I would have him in the side. He offers you guys a good bowling option as he can bowl outswing and he is more than handy batting in the middle order. To me there are a couple of guys in your firsts who havent mad any runs or taken wickets but seem to be getting a game due to being good fielders. Brad would be more value than these guys in my opinion.

As for Grixti well he is a great guy and gives his all but he will never be more than an average player. In my opinion his batting is suspect and should not be a top 6 batter as he plays to much accross the line and I dont think you can change that now. I think he would be more suited coming in at 7 or 8 and trying to hit a few late runs as he can hit a ball. One very good move on Aaron's behalf is his move to bowling off spin. I can see him improving and becoming a handy spinner for you guys in the future.

Good luck this week

Pots;329150 said:

Pots

Just like to say I agree with you on Damo and Brad Potae but disagree regarding Grixti.

Damo is only 15 or 16 years old so their is plenty of time still for improvement for him. His bowling is fairly good at the moment. Batting technique still needs improvement as he pokes at alot of balls outside of stump without moving his feet. The upside is their many years of improvement and hopefully he can be a great player for your club. Cricketers usually dont peek until they are 25 years old.

In regards to Brad Potae, I think he is a good all round cricketer and If I was picking your 1st eleven I would have him in the side. He offers you guys a good bowling option as he can bowl outswing and he is more than handy batting in the middle order. To me there are a couple of guys in your firsts who havent mad any runs or taken wickets but seem to be getting a game due to being good fielders. Brad would be more value than these guys in my opinion.

As for Grixti well he is a great guy and gives his all but he will never be more than an average player. In my opinion his batting is suspect and should not be a top 6 batter as he plays to much accross the line and I dont think you can change that now. I think he would be more suited coming in at 7 or 8 and trying to hit a few late runs as he can hit a ball. One very good move on Aaron's behalf is his move to bowling off spin. I can see him improving and becoming a handy spinner for you guys in the future.

Good luck this week

I don't believe you can say "cricketer's peak at 25" and consider that to be a statement of fact. We are all different and you will find that cricketer's may be at their physical peak at 25 (maybe up to 30ish) but what about mentally. I'm nearly 40 and am still learning about the game. I beleieve you can still improve your game in your 30's but it just becomes a little bit harder physically. So as to when a player "PEAKS", I personally don't believe you ever really do.

I don't believe you can say "cricketer's peak at 25" and consider that to be a statement of fact. We are all different and you will find that cricketer's may be at their physical peak at 25 (maybe up to 30ish) but what about mentally. I'm nearly 40 and am still learning about the game. I beleieve you can still improve your game in your 30's but it just becomes a little bit harder physically. So as to when a player "PEAKS", I personally don't believe you ever really do.

Shaved_Plums;329280 said:

you peak at 40 on the poker table Wog, but not on the cricket ground mate

Shaved_Plums;329280 said:

you peak at 40 on the poker table Wog, but not on the cricket ground mate

just been down to angliss and the water tank on the south wicket has exploded at capacity

just been down to angliss and the water tank on the south wicket has exploded at capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back