WHAT HAPPENED

So was it a disaster?
I was going to mention Krakatoa too, tho I have a feeling that was later in the century.

The destruction of Atlantis. But isnt that myth. Hang on that was thousands of years BC not 1820. So this disaster happened in the Atlantic. Was it the sinking of a ship?

Last edited:
The destruction of Atlantis. But isnt that myth. Hang on that was thousands of years BC not 1820. So this disaster happened in the Atlantic. Was it the sinking of a ship?
Yes it was the sinking of a ship which is the man-made part of the event, but what caused it to sink?
Getting warmer!
If possible also, what was the name of the ship?

This was the first item I found when I typed in 1820 ship disasters.

Essex
was an American whaling ship from Nantucket, Massachusetts, which was launched in 1799. On November 20, 1820, while at sea in the southern Pacific Ocean under the command of Captain George Pollard Jr., the ship was attacked and sunk by a sperm whale.

Is this the solution Terry?

Last edited:
This was the first item I found when I typed in 1820 ship disasters.

Essex
was an American whaling ship from Nantucket, Massachusetts, which was launched in 1799. On November 20, 1820, while at sea in the southern Pacific Ocean under the command of Captain George Pollard Jr., the ship was attacked and sunk by a sperm whale.

Is this the solution Terry?
Well done Craig, That's it!👏
Four years later the book "Moby Dick' was written based on the sinking of the Essex.
Your turn.

Well done Craig, That's it!👏
Four years later the book "Moby Dick' was written based on the sinking of the Essex.
Your turn.
You produced a puzzler there.
A bit different Craig, thanks.

There were historical enactment movies of the story that I saw a few of. I had a few more hints up my sleeve too but agree googling was appropriate at that point.
⛵ 🐳 it was an odd tale

Last edited:
Back