WHAT HAPPENED

So can I assume it was to to do with aeroplanes?

How about Rocket testing? Like at Woomera in SA to WA I think?

Was it a Military thing?

Was it a Scientific thing?

So can I assume it was to to do with aeroplanes?
Yes. It was a endurance event to celebrate the centenary of an Australian city that was to engender global interest and provide someone with a lucrative reward. Cant think of anymore clues without giving you the answer.

Last edited:
Yes. It was a endurance event to celebrate the centenary of an Australian city that was to engender global interest and provide someone with a lucrative reward. Cant think of anymore clues without giving you the answer.
A Great plane race to Australia??

Being clueless on the details I Googled:

The MacRobertson Trophy Air Race (also known as the London to Melbourne Air Race) took place in October 1934 as part of the Melbourne Centenary celebrations.

Last edited:
A Great plane race to Australia??

Being clueless on the details I Googled:

The MacRobertson Trophy Air Race (also known as the London to Melbourne Air Race) took place in October 1934 as part of the Melbourne Centenary celebrations.
BINGO

It was a painting indeed with many precursors over the year to the final and greatly admired and valued masterpiece finished late in the year. Meanwhile the Spanish Cival war raged and the painting reflected the tragedy of it.

So who was the painter?
and more importantly,
what was the famous painting called??

Google away if you need to Craig... or have a guess first as to the famous Spanish painter?

I'm thinking of Picasso's Guernica.
So close Craig. It was Picasso indeed but not the eqully famous Guerica with a similar anti war theme. Guerica, a town bombed by the Nazis, didn't have the numerous iterations to another of his most paintings, that I was thinking of. So close.

So close Craig. It was Picasso indeed but not the eqully famous Guerica with a similar anti war theme. Guerica, a town bombed by the Nazis, didn't have the numerous iterations to another of his most paintings, that I was thinking of. So close.
You're confusing me with Craig again, Terry. ;)
Intuitively, Guernica was my first idea when I read the words Spain and 1937. Richie Richie , by the way, I'm benefiting here from what we learnt in school. I didn't have to look it up but I'd not heard of The Weeping woman and looking at it moves me even though I'm not into Cubism.
Is it the painting you had in mind? In any case, a major omission has now been rectified. Cheers.:thumbsu:

Last edited:
You're confusing me with Craig again, Terry. ;)
Intuitively, Guernica was my first idea when I read the words Spain and 1937. Richie Richie , by the way, I'm benefiting here from what we learnt in school. I didn't have to look it up but I'd not heard of The Weeping woman and looking at it moves me even though I'm not into Cubism.
Is it the painting you had in mind? In any case, a major omission has now been rectified. Cheers.:thumbsu:
Sorry again for the mix up Thomas, I'm a dummkopf!

Well done though, it was Picasso's "Weeping Woman"! 👍

Back